German Shepherds Forum banner

Prayers, please :(

5K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  newlie 
#1 ·
Asking for prayers today as we prepare to help our sweet girl to the Bridge. It never gets any easier. 16 years and 4 months old - what a blessing she has been. Many tears. :crying:

#5 ·
Tears, wow, memories you bring. What a long day this must be for you.
Someday you will celebrate 16 LONG Wonderful Years, Four Months! Bragging rights in the future.
& no, never gets easier.
I'll give my youthful guy & extra hug, and share my tears with you, thinking of the other ones gone by.

#7 ·
I'm Sorry honey. 16 yrs + 4 months. Wow. Good job. I lost my guy at 11.5 yrs. almost 6 months ago. Having a tough time today for some reason. Hold her close when you say goodbye, and shower her in kisses. It won't help the tears, but at least the tears will come with fondness for being there, holding her and telling her how special she is

#8 ·
No matter how long we have them it's never long enough. Thoughts and prayers with you today.

Reactions: charger
#10 ·
Sending thoughts and prayers for you and your beloved girl. May she go to the bridge softly and with peace and may you find peace in the fact you were there for her and gave her love . Take care
Maggi

#16 ·
Thank you all for your kind words - I know you all understand. Sophie had a number of surgeries in her time, and was always well vetted. Toward the end, she lost one eye (she could not have cared less), had cataracts in the other eye. She had hearing loss, and dementia. But she always seemed content, as long as we were near. The past few weeks were tough, as she stopped eating. We hand fed her. She drank water and peed everywhere, but didn't realize it. She could do no wrong! I spent the last 10 years of my nursing career as a Hospice RN at a veterans' hospital, so I just went into end of life care mode. I gave her subcutaneous fluids, mouth moisture, eyedrops drops, position changes, gentle massage, etc. This morning, she started getting congested and using accessory muscles to breathe, and since I did not have any glycopryelate or atropine drops, I knew I had reached the end of my bag of tricks. Surprisingly, animals die very much the same way that people do. I was hoping she would slip away and die a natural death at home, but that doesn't happen often, does it? It is actually easier for me to deal with people dying, since I was able to compartmentalize in order to do what I had to do for my patients - can't have your hospice nurse blubbering all over! We do our crying in the car after our shift! Thanks again, everyone. Yes, 16 years and 4 months is a long life, and I think it was a good one for her!

#17 ·
so sorry to hear this. It is never easy, no matter old or young your heart breaks.

TREASURED FRIEND

I lost a treasured friend today
The little dog who used to lay
Her gentle head upon my knee
And shared her silent thoughts with me.

She’ll come no longer to my call
Retrieve no more her favourite ball
A voice far greater than my own
Has called her to his golden throne.

Although my eyes are filled with tears
I thank him for the happy years
He let her spend down here with me
And for her love and loyalty.

When it is time for me to go
And join her there, this much I know
I shall not fear the transient dark
For she will greet me with a bark.

~Author Unknown

#23 ·
Maxtmil a few days after my old girl crossed, I kept thinking that when she did, she gave a full out head to tail body shake to get rid of all that wasn't her.

May the relief you are feeling is the beginning of a lifetime of good rememberings.

#25 ·
I am so sorry for your loss. It is the hardest but yet most kind thing we can do for them. My thoughts and prayers are w/ you. Run free little girl run free.

#26 ·
So very sorry for the loss of your sweet girl. I do believe that you will see her again one day and until then, let your precious memories comfort you.

Celestial Bone

I explained to St. Peter, I'd rather stay here,
Outside the pearly gate.
I won't be a nuisance, I won't even bark,
I'll be very patient and wait.
I'll be here, chewing on my celestial bone,
No matter how long you may be.
I'd miss you so much, if I went in alone,
It wouldn't be heaven for me.

Author Unknown

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.