Lost My 14 yr old GSD On New Years Eve.. Now.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2014, 04:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Lost My 14 yr old GSD On New Years Eve.. Now..

It looks as if his friend.. our 10 yr old GSD (will be 11 in July) is ready to follow him, and I'm all broken inside.

My 14 yr old I adopted from a shelter 10 years ago. He was being passed by from the local rescue folks because he was tagged as a stray. The lady told me, "you don't want him. he's a stray". Well, that "stray" sat for me and offered his paw up when asked. He came home with me the next day. Sadly, he'd been neglected so long, he had a horrible case of heartworm which I notified the shelter of right away. They said I could bring him back and chose another. Nooo, I said. I called simply to get an extension on his neuter as it wasn't safe for him to have surgery until we took care of these heartworms. The shelter was shocked we wanted him anyway, but I informed them we took him home as a member of the family and we meant it. We got permission to take as much time as we needed for his immiticide treatments and recovery and 6 months later he was a new dog.

A year later, we went to another shelter and got him a new friend. A military family bought Pele overseas then brought her back home. She was tied up out front in military housing when a child on a bike rode up fast to her and Pele nipped him. Though the MP quarantined her and noone was upset and the base police said all was fine..into the shelter Pele went.

We found out a few weeks later Pele has a horrific case of hip dysplasia and arthritis..so bad our vet gasped upon seeing her xrays. I think the family that had her was looking for an out, and the nip was their excuse. I have 7 cats, 1 Burmese who is pretty sure Pele is his girlfriend, and he literally rolls over face, takes food out of her bowl when she's eating, and Pele calmly lie there and does nothing. Now 5 of the cats are Savannahs, and most dogs won't mess with a Savannah, but Pele loves them all. Shares food and bed with all of them, even when they're acting more African Serval than cat.

Gollum, our 14 yr old suffered horrible dementia in the end and was even losing his ability to walk. He stopped eating. Pele is barely able to stand up, her hips are shot, she can't even scratch herself anymore, or go potty without extreme discomfort. Her front legs are giving out, we're guessing from the arthritis damage from bearing the extra weight all these years with the bad hips.. and the final sign is she has started following me intensely and she's never done this before. Gollum did as his dementia set in though.

Tonight, Pele followed me into my F-2 Savannahs room, she's big, and as close to Serval as I personally feel safe handling (and I am the only person in the house she will interact with for feeding, picking up, etc) and Sarafina promptly cobra spat (serval does a cobra type spit when they're angry) Pele right out and the dog couldn't even walk out without help she limps so badly. Now, she knows that's a no-no room, but I was in there and right now, if I'm there, she tries to be there too.

I gave her an extra pain pill tonight and she's got a vet appt scheduled, but I think it probably time to get our goodbyes in order and ****, it's just too soon. I know she's hurting walking...trying to use the potty..her 7 yr companion is gone..and it seems..she can't be alone...

Is it time or am I being selfish in thinking maybe a few extra pain meds a day will see her through? I just want what is best for her..If only I could roll back time..Pele is on the left and Gollum is on the right.

We miss Gollum every single day.

Last edited by Wicked Seraphim; 07-10-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Wicked Seraphim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2014, 07:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

I am so sorry I just lost one of my aussies in Jan and the other a couple weeks ago I swear I will never have dogs close in age again (this is the third time for me with two's close in age)...It's not easy and only a decision you can make.

ANd cool that you have a savannah!! I want one, but no where in my area can you find one..

Hang in there, hugs to your pets

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

I am SO sorry for you. I lost two boys, one last November, the other 3 weeks later.

I have had GSDs and GSDx for over 50 years, and every one that left me broke my heart. I found that getting another asap, be it puppy or rescue, is the very best thing. The new one will never replace the ones you lose, but it will help busy your mind and heart, so that you are not constantly dwelling on who you lost. You have so kindly given these two your home and heart, and there are so many out there needing the same!

As far as your girl... I would say it is getting very close. The fact that she is sticking so close to you tells me that. Also, how much of her day does she REALLY enjoy, and how much is merely coping? The boy I lost years ago to DM was so ashamed of himself when he could no longer take care of his bowel movements. I knew then, after considering what each day in his life was like, that it was time.

I don't envy the decision you have before you, it is NEVER easy.

Susan
Susan_GSD_mom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There is nothing anyone can say that will make you feel any better right now. I know I just went through the same decision three weeks ago. I've lost all 4 of my seniors in the 6 years since my kids graduated and have gone off to college. All I can say is how sorry I am. It sucks! Hang in there.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2014, 10:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm so so sorry. My two are 3 years and 5 years. I know that one day (God-willing) they will both be seniors, and we may lose them both in a short period. I can't imagine how hard it will be to lose either one, let alone both. My heart goes out to you. All I know is that you should be the friend to her that she has been for you. Don't let her suffer or completely lose her dignity.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I am so sorry I just lost one of my aussies in Jan and the other a couple weeks ago I swear I will never have dogs close in age again (this is the third time for me with two's close in age)...It's not easy and only a decision you can make.

ANd cool that you have a savannah!! I want one, but no where in my area can you find one..

Hang in there, hugs to your pets

I am sorry for your losses. It's hard.. just when you're recovering from the loss of one, another starts showing signs that they're ready, too. My son, who is still at home, lost his 16 year old kitty last year, and my daughter (who is married, but we had this kitty before she left home), her 10 year old kitty to sudden kidney failure last month. It's been a HARD twelve months 'round here.

I was hoping we could get Pele through the summer at the very least, but it looks as if she'd like to be with Gollum, and I know she's tired. I see it in her eyes. I can hear it in her breathing. I surely see it in her step... and I know she hates it that we have to wipe her down when she comes in from using the bathroom.

Last night, my husband and I were watching tv in our room, and Pele was in her bed in there with us, and we heard this gaspy, wheezy sound. It was her. She sounds tired, even when asleep.

As far as Savannah's go.. I have 5 of them, and 2 Burmese. Are they legal where you live?
Old 05-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan_GSD_mom View Post
I am SO sorry for you. I lost two boys, one last November, the other 3 weeks later.

I have had GSDs and GSDx for over 50 years, and every one that left me broke my heart. I found that getting another asap, be it puppy or rescue, is the very best thing. The new one will never replace the ones you lose, but it will help busy your mind and heart, so that you are not constantly dwelling on who you lost. You have so kindly given these two your home and heart, and there are so many out there needing the same!

As far as your girl... I would say it is getting very close. The fact that she is sticking so close to you tells me that. Also, how much of her day does she REALLY enjoy, and how much is merely coping? The boy I lost years ago to DM was so ashamed of himself when he could no longer take care of his bowel movements. I knew then, after considering what each day in his life was like, that it was time.

I don't envy the decision you have before you, it is NEVER easy.

Susan

Thank you, Susan.. and I am sorry for you as well. Wow, I thought this might be an oddity this thing with them going so close together. Little did I know till I found all of you.

Yes, I'd say she is barely coping right now. She has her good days, but they are very few and far between and her normal behavior is very off. She usually listens very, very well.. now, we have to repeat something 4 or 5 times before she responds, and you can hear her dragging her feet as she takes a step. The "dropping" to the floor or her bed when lying down as she can't lower herself and the struggle to raise herself up and gain her footing is painful to watch.

She refuses to use her ramp when going out to use the bathroom and will flip out until she can use the stairs out to the deck, so today, my husband is removing a door from another entrance to the yard to ease her way out as she simply can't use her usual route any longer.

This bathroom thing is new too.. she just can't position herself to potty properly anymore, I think because of her hips. She can pee okay, but bowel movements.. she walks and go's and it's hard for her and she never really "finishes". She can't clean-up, so to speak.

I've talked to my husband about another dog.. my son too (he is a certified vet assistant who works at a boarding facility/vet clinic) and they're of the mind no dog for awhile. It'll be hard to match Pele and Gollum.... especially where the cats are concerned, but they went down hill so suddenly, I think we're all shell shocked over it, and a little scared. Plus, we're all partial to adult dogs.. we got so lucky with these 2 as shelter dogs. So very lucky.

If we come across adult dogs in need of loving homes that will accept our whacky cats that will boldly eat out of their bowl and sleep in their bed, we'd snatch 'em up quick fast.. but our fear is we've had our time with those dogs..
Old 05-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
There is nothing anyone can say that will make you feel any better right now. I know I just went through the same decision three weeks ago. I've lost all 4 of my seniors in the 6 years since my kids graduated and have gone off to college. All I can say is how sorry I am. It sucks! Hang in there.

I'm sorry, and thank you.

Pele is resting right now. We gave her an extra Tramadol with her normal meds and breakfast this morning and it seems to be helping. At the very least, I can make her comfortable right now, ease some pain...Lord knows over the years, she's eased enough of mine.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieGirl View Post
I'm so so sorry. My two are 3 years and 5 years. I know that one day (God-willing) they will both be seniors, and we may lose them both in a short period. I can't imagine how hard it will be to lose either one, let alone both. My heart goes out to you. All I know is that you should be the friend to her that she has been for you. Don't let her suffer or completely lose her dignity.

Thanks

Nope, won't let her suffer or lose her dignity. I just feel horrid that I have to make this decision.

There is a series on Showtime that I recently downloaded onto my DVR (I have DirecTV) from On Demand that I guess aired last year. It's called 'Time of Death'. It's kind of like 'The Big C' (which I just loved), but the real life documentary version. Anyway, it goes through the various stories of people with terminal cancer and how they, and their family are coping with it. My husband and I were watching it the other night, and we both agreed that it was so sad that these people were suffering, dying slowly, inevitably, irrevocably.. and there was nothing anyone could do to help them. That we could at least offer our pets more dignity and peace than that when their time came.. and then.. Pele just started getting worse over the past few days.

It's just time. She'll go in to see the vet this week.. give us a little time with her.. and her with us. I just wish it wasn't so darn hard.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

So sorry for your loss of Gollum and now going thru Peles decline. I agree that it just goes so quick. I lost my boys within 9 months of each other. I surely miss them, they are such a comfort, always made me feel good to see them after a day of work! You gave them a good loving home, they carry and guard our hearts! Peace to you and your family, human and 4 legged.
readaboutdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.