Dog loss vs. human loss - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2014, 12:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Dog loss vs. human loss

I don't understand something. It actually makes me feel very guilty. I'm pretty sure I'd take the loss of my dog(s) much harder than I would the loss of a close family member or friend.

Would you take it much harder as well? Why? Does it make you feel guilty?

Does this mean we value the life of a dog much higher than a human being? Isn't that so very very wrong?
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014, 01:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
I don't understand something. It actually makes me feel very guilty. I'm pretty sure I'd take the loss of my dog(s) much harder than I would the loss of a close family member or friend.

Does this mean we value the life of a dog much higher than a human being? Isn't that so very very wrong?
My dogs are my friends and they are part of my family. I don't feel guilty at all to be devastated when my canine friends die. In fact, in a way, I feel sad for people who don't understand my devastation because obviously they have never experienced that special love and bond. Isn't that sad?
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 01:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't think you could just flat out say it is wrong. Some people have had very bad experiences with humans, have been very let down by family/friends and their dogs are the only source of consistency, love, trust and companionship so it would make sense that these people would take the loss of a pet worse than a human.
Personally for me it would not compare at all to loosing friends or family but I consider myself very fortunate to be able to feel that way........to have people in my life who mean much more to me than my dogs......many don't.
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 01:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I think that in some cases the loss of a pet can be so much more devastating because the pet can't take care of itself. You are the sole caretaker for that animal, often times you have to make the choice to put the animal down and you are left wondering if you waited too long or didn't wait long enough, there are so many questions that you may never know the answers to in the loss of an animal. Animals also (like children) are pure and innocent. I don't think it means we value life of animals over humans, just that it's an entirely different kind of loss. Comparable to losing a child over an adult.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
Ellimaybel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 01:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

"Right" and "Wrong" are man-made concepts and are subjective from one individual to the next. What's right in my eyes could be wrong in yours, and vice verse. A loyal friend is a loyal friend, and some beings just have more of a profound affect on our lives than others, no matter if they walk on 2 legs or 4. So don't ever let another individual's version of what is right and what is wrong intrude on what you feel in your heart and make you feel guilty.

There are many dogs and humans I would not shed a single tear for if they left this earth. There are some dogs and humans in my life that every bone in my body would break for if they left this earth.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I lost my first Boxer/Mix (Stewie) in an accident that was my fault! I was clinically diagnosed with PTSD. I was on drugs for years and afraid not to take them, was suicidal. That was 9/9/2001. When we moved to NV in 2003, I dug him up and he's in a box in my office! We will get him cremated this year and put him on the shelf with his buddies.

I have lost dogs since them but it's not the same, if it's your fault that can be pretty bad. All of us handle loss differently, there is no right or wrong.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That is a tough one. I love my mom more than anything in this world so when my mom does die I will be beyond devastated, I cannot imagine life without her nor would I want to live without her. Sinister is the 2nd thing that I love the most, I will mourn his loss more than any other person in my life.

Sinister ~ black GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post

I've lost dogs and I've lost a brother. For me, nothing compares with the wrenching loss of my brother. It was a physical pain that stopped me in my tracks. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't move and I couldn't comprehend what my sister was telling me. This was something that happened to other people, not us.

I don't think there is a right or wrong. It's all very personal and depends on your attachment to your animal.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

I've lost an aunt as well as a dog and I was devastated by both in very different ways. I was in shock when my aunt arrested and died hours later. It took me a good two weeks of seeming "fine" to everyone else as I comforted family, did chores while others were mourning, etc. for it to actually hit me. I'm not really a crying type but I did feel the intense sadness and loss belatedly.

With my dog I was sobbing immediately and it lasted for days. I felt so lonely and like a huge chuck was missing out of my life. My bed was empty. There was all this free time that was empty. Just a horrible, guilty and empty feeling.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Having to part with WD was much harder than when my father died. WD was part of my being, my father was my father, that's all.
It does surprise me but not to the point of guilt.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.