Saying goodbye - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Saying goodbye

Wow how do I do this. Zeke has been part of our lives since he was a puppy, he's now 14 and its time to let him go run free. He's gone down hill in the past 8 months he can't walk and has a cart but he can't even use that anymore. He's wearing a diaper which he hates. And he's having to have pain meds. Then there are time were he looks up and wants to play with his ball. He still eats and drinks so at times I just feel like I'm killing him. How are we going to get through this. Friday afternoon is when we take him in our vet wont come to the house so we have to take him there and we'll have him cremated and have his ashes with us forever. Gosh this is just killing me but we know its the right thing to do and let him go with some dignity left. He's not happy for the most part anymore. Please some tell me I'm not making a mistake because he's still eating and drinking. I'm already feeling guilty.
Saying goodbye-zeke.jpg
a33890 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

It is one of the hardest decisions we will ever make in our lives. Look in his eyes and he will let you know. I'm a strong believer in a quality life.

I feel for you and I don't look forward to the day we are faced with the same situation.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Even if the dog is lying there with blood pooling out of it's mouth and breathing it's last breath I would absolutely hate making that decision even though it's the kindest thing to do.

My cocker spaniel had ear issues, I came home one day to his head being cocked sideways and he stumbled as he walked. This continued for two days so I took him to the vet, they diagnosed him with a ear infection but due to his ears being calcified from years of neglect (he was a rescue) there was very little hope of getting it cleared up. I tried for two weeks with very expensive medication with no success, the final straw came when started whimpering in his sleep, something he had never done. I took him in that night, he could still function but I knew he was in pain and not happy. I balled my eyes out for hours and I still tear up over two years later when I think of him, I know I did the right thing but that doesn't make it hurt any less to not have him sitting beside me. Once most of the quality of life is gone there's not much left

I'm so sorry you have to go through this, most of us have had to go through the same thing and we're all here if you want to talk

If it helps, I truly believe that I'll see each of my animals again It brings me great comfort to think about that day and I hope it does you as well

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

It truly is one of the hardest decisions to make...let him lead you to it. I remember looking into my Gemini's face and I just knew it was time. Had it been mid-summer instead of mid-winter, I might have waited, but I truly knew that while it was **** on me, it was the right decision for her.

**hugs** to you with this. My heart is aching for you.
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Valentine-our ragdoll cat
Two great skin kids
3dognite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm sorry

I believe when these brave GSD's leave this world they continue their jobs of watching "their" people.

I will be thinking of you & Zeke this Friday.

Again...I'm very sorry....
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think you are doing the right thing. I am sure Zeke does not enjoy wearing diapers and being in pain. But most of all I am sure Zeke does not want to see you in pain. He will forever be with you in spirit and you will never forget him. When you go in and say your last goodbyes, as he goes to sleep you will see a relief in his eyes. He will always be watching over you. ........ Be strong for him as for he needs you most now. Bless you and your family, and bless Zeke.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

That was a was and still is a hard thing for me. Cody was still all Cody Yo in mind and spirit, but he wouldn't eat, he wasn't able to stand on his back leg, he had a bone tumor they thought was probably cancer. He was very uncomfortable, had lost a lot of weight very quickly. He wanted to feel good, get better, but it wasn't happening. We let him go to the bridge before it got worse, and didn't put him thru more tests. But he was my Cody Yo to the end, he did pass proud and with dignity.
readaboutdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am so sorry for the decision you are about to face. Some one sent this poem to me when I was facing this with my last shepherd Bridgette .

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years.
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
And please stay with me till the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

--- Anonymous ---
m1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Only you will know when its time. I did this with my lab and got maybe 4 months more out of it. I could see in eyes that it was time, he was tired and I couldn't keep him around for me anymore I often prayed he would go in his sleep, so I didn't have to make that decision. Sending thoughts your way during this awful time.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

So sorry you've reached this point in your life... I can't imagine your pain right now. Please know my thoughts are with you...

I think you know when it's time, and I think Zeke will also let you know. It sounds like you're making the right decision, but you will never be fully okay with it...

Hard decision... my thoughts are with you...

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.