Saying goodbye - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

As someone who has been struggling with the treatment her oldest pup's adrenal and splenic tumor issues for the past 5 months, I can empathize with the way you're feeling. Don't feel guilty for doing what's best for your beloved pet and ending his suffering. It's a choice no one has an easy time with, but sometimes it's the most humane thing to do for someone who means so much.

You seem to have done all that you can to make his last days as comfortable as possible, but sometimes there comes a point where no more can be done. I know it's easier said than done, believe me I have struggled recently with this decision myself pending some test results in the following weeks, but try to remember all of the good times you've had with him.

I try to tell myself that dogs don't have the fear of death that we do. They don't wake up in the morning fearful that today may be their last day. They are just happy to be with their families every moment they're able. They already have it all figured out. We're just lucky enough to get to share such bonds with these creatures while they're here.

Here are a couple of the things that have been helping me through being close to the end of my days with my boy, Sampson. I will warn you, both make me tear up every time I read them, but they are such beautiful sentiments, it's worth it. <hugs>

Why Do Dogs Leave Earth First? (A Child Answers) - A Place to Love Dogs

Love me, Love my Dog(s)! / Good old dog ~ oh my. I actually cried.
Malcolm (GSD) DOB-10/31/2012
jen1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1953 View Post
I am so sorry for the decision you are about to face. Some one sent this poem to me when I was facing this with my last shepherd Bridgette .

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years.
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
And please stay with me till the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

--- Anonymous ---
Oh my this made my cry from start to finish. Thank you for posting this I really needed it. Gosh I feel like a part of me.
a33890 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Crying here, too, Angela. This is the hardest part of owning a dog, and I am so very sorry you are at this point.

Most of us have been through this, too, and now that I know the bond one has with a GSD, to go through that with this breed must be heart shattering.
We are here to give you a shoulder if you need one.

Be strong for Zeke. It's what he needs you to be, for him.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Wow by your post I can tell your going through the same exact thing with your dog. It is so hard but I know he doen't want to live like this he used to chase cows and horses in the back and loved the water. He's been laying down for 8 months I don't want him to live out his life like that.
Thanks for the kind words your pup is in my prayers.
Amazing how some could love their pets so much and others can give to ****s. So glad we're one of the good ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1982 View Post
As someone who has been struggling with the treatment her oldest pup's adrenal and splenic tumor issues for the past 5 months, I can empathize with the way you're feeling. Don't feel guilty for doing what's best for your beloved pet and ending his suffering. It's a choice no one has an easy time with, but sometimes it's the most humane thing to do for someone who means so much.

You seem to have done all that you can to make his last days as comfortable as possible, but sometimes there comes a point where no more can be done. I know it's easier said than done, believe me I have struggled recently with this decision myself pending some test results in the following weeks, but try to remember all of the good times you've had with him.

I try to tell myself that dogs don't have the fear of death that we do. They don't wake up in the morning fearful that today may be their last day. They are just happy to be with their families every moment they're able. They already have it all figured out. We're just lucky enough to get to share such bonds with these creatures while they're here.

Here are a couple of the things that have been helping me through being close to the end of my days with my boy, Sampson. I will warn you, both make me tear up every time I read them, but they are such beautiful sentiments, it's worth it. <hugs>

Why Do Dogs Leave Earth First? (A Child Answers) - A Place to Love Dogs

Love me, Love my Dog(s)! / Good old dog ~ oh my. I actually cried.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default Saying goodbye

Thanks so much. If you need anyone to vent to or just to get your thoughts out to, I'm here. I've been saying this past 5 months has been one of the hardest periods of my life as I consider Sampson to be my "heart dog." I know how much your heart is hurting right now. Friday you'll be in my thoughts.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-30-2013, 02:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

I struggled with these questions as well. An acquaintance told me about letting her old girl go and said that she thought that she allowed her companion to suffer too long. She said, "Better a day or two early than late." My beloved Felony started having some new pain on 12/20/11 and I had her pts on 12/22. I couldn't bear the idea that she would get worse over Xmas and suffer a traumatic er visit and an inevitable outcome as she had terminal cancer. I arranged for in home euthanasia and her transition was peaceful. Best decision that I ever made, her whole family was there and she passed with her bully stick still in her mouth.
blehmannwa is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

Sounds like you are doing the right thing. I am sorry. The refusal to eat or drink is one sign, but it isn't the only thing. Some dogs eat and drink right up to the end. My thoughts are with you.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

Default Saying goodbye

Thinking of you and Zeke today. <hugs>

Old 02-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1982 View Post
Thinking of you and Zeke today. <hugs>

Likewise. It seems like it's Zeke's time to take his spot on the bridge. I know him and Riley will get along great.

God bless.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

RIP Zeke we will forever love and miss you! You have been through sooo much with us through our best and worst of times you were alway there. Run free Zeke!
He went very peacefully with us right there with him until the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.