I feel like he's getting ready to leave us... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra
Default I feel like he's getting ready to leave us...

For 9 1/2 years, I've had a shadow. Not like the normal dog person who says "my dog follows me everywhere" You see, I have a German Shepherd Dog. Since 8 weeks old, everywhere I go there is the pitter patter of little feet. If he can't follow me, he is waiting at the door for me to come out.
At 6 months old, Rayden earned his freedom at night. That first night I woke up to the sound of footsteps. Front door, back door, youngest daughter's bedroom, up the stairs to the eldest, back to my bedroom. Our lab would look at him like he was crazy.
So it went for 5 years until Freya came home. She never patrolled the house, that was Rayden's job. Front door, back door, both the kids, back to my side of the bed. If the neighbor's were being noisy across the street, he stayed in the hallway between the bedrooms - watching the front door.
Freya left us and eventually Singe came. Annoying little puppy; Rayden used to pick Singe up by the head and carry him to me and drop him on the floor at my feet when he got tired of the puppy antics.
And still every night, front door, back door, both the kids, back to my side of the bed.

When Singe earned his freedom at night, you could never guess where you might find him sleeping. And Rayden always at my side of the bed unless it was time for the patrol.
Front door, back door, both the kids, back to bed.

About 8 months ago I woke up suddenly. I listened and couldn't figure out what was different. Then a couple nights later it hit me. 2 sets of feet. Front door, back door, both the kids, back to bed. Singe started sleeping in the hallway. Every morning, he was there between the 2 bedrooms watching the door. This went on for a couple weeks, then Rayden continued his patrols alone.

For the last couple months, the patrols have been sporadic and finally stopped completely. Every noise was still investigated but there was no nightly walk. Rayden doesn't come to the bedroom anymore. He's more comfortable sleeping on the cool tiles by the front door. Singe still sleeping in the hallway.

A week ago, I stepped on a dog when I got out of bed. It was Singe. Everywhere I go, he is my shadow now. Every move I make, he jumps up to follow me. If he doesn't, Rayden gives him a nudge.

Last night I woke up. I could hear the jangle of Singe's tags through the house. Front door, back door, both the kids, back to my side of the bed.
Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

This made me cry, what a good faithful dog you have, he wants to make sure your family is always safe. Hug him for me..
ksotto333 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

My gosh. Amazing are GSDs. Mine is 10 now and patrols this house at around eight and then expects a biccie...!
Vampire, really evil cat, 18 years
Candi, 13 years,
Brendan, golden retriever-the thriller from Manila, 8 years
King Cody, GSD 6 years
Becky, Jazz and Annie at bridge
vjt555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I love dogs. The role they play in our lives is so hard to explain. They are almost like having guardian angles in your life.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The changing of the guard. We are so blessed by these dogs.I watched Lucky become the sentry outside while Daisy watched form the deck and joined him when she deemed it necessary. Rayden is still there as back up but has earned his nights rest. Rayden ,you trained Singe well.

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Crying here. Wish I could give you a hug.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Such a beautiful story... I hope to have a dog as amazing as your Rayden sounds...

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Ayla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

At least you picked up on rayden. I did not notice this when Taz was getting Ill. Now that I think back He did and now I know why Ginger started to protect the house and Bark when she would never do before. This is a real nice write up about as "Daisey and Lucky's mom said" The changing of the guard. I hope you have many more years with Rayden. He sounds like the perfect Guardian Angel....
Loneforce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I shed a few tears when I read this...what a blessing dogs are. He is making sure the family is taken care of, how can one not appreciate a GSD??
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

I know we don't have forever but i'm holding onto every day. Yesterday Rayden fell getting off the porch andmost mornings he can't stand up without help. Dr Sarah says as long as he is happy, it isn't time.
The goats milk helps; he's back up to 77 lb now.
Looking at his face you would never think that he is sick. His body just isn't holding out. The tumor is blocking the lymph system to his leg entirely so the swelling is worse. He's still eager to go and play; he just needs someone close when he falls.
The last 2 days, when he falls, he waits for us to help him up instead of trying on his own. He seems patient with it though, not disturbed or frustrated.
Just that small part of me watching this"changing of the guard"keeps whispering "wrong dog"
Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.