Is it true that dogs like to be "on their own" when they pass? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is it true that dogs like to be "on their own" when they pass?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but here's my question..

My first dog was an older, very abused Mini Sheltie ( the previous owners let other dogs jump, claw, bite on her, and then kicked her on the street. she had many scars underneath her fur, and the shelter found her wandering the streets.)
When we adopted her, she stayed under our kitchen table for 2 weeks before she came close to any of us. She was the absolute sweetest dog once she opened her heart to us and saw she was in her "forever home." She was the best dog I've ever had (not starting from a puppy). We had her 6 short years until she passed. She was becoming deaf and partially blind. I was much younger and my parents told me she died in her sleep. Years later, I really found out she went to the backyard and walked into our pool (she never liked the water and always knew where the pool was, but she DID know how to swim) and drowned.

She's the only dog I've ever had pass away yet. So, I'm wondering, is it true that when a dog is ready to go, they will do it on their own, and want to be alone?

Has anyone else had experience with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

-“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
lkellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

I am not at all sure the answer to your question but thank you and your family for giving that little rescue a wonderful six years.
m1953 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think it depends on the dog. My dad had a Samoyed when I was a baby. When he died, he walked in two circles around the chair my dad was in, laid his head on my dad's lap, and passed.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

When dogs feel ill they seek isolation, this is an age old instinct, designed to help keep them away from predators.
However, I believe our pet dogs like us there, and usually they do not die peacefully at home, or in their sleep.
If it's a bad illness that causes a lot of pain (like cancer), too, they should be "put to sleep" with human intervention, which, of course, requires a human to be present.

This is an excerpt from a tribute I wrote to a long-term foster we had...and tells about how, at the end, my dog lifted his head and gazed into my eyes.

Even the veterinarian was amazed, as he was loosing consciousnesses, that he became almost "hyper aware" and made that final contact with me. It was really beautiful...

You looked once again into my eyes today as you parted the earth, when your crippled, painful body could contain you no longer, you lifted your head and looked up and gazed deep into my eyes as you left…as if to burn my image into your memory…or perhaps so I could burn yours into mine. I will never forget that last gift you gave me.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm not sure, all the animals I know that have passed naturally have mostly been at night off by themselves or in their sleep.

I've only euthanized one dog personally and after the sedative he snuggled right into my arms and then passed away. I think he was grateful for me being there with him

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
When dogs feel ill they seek isolation, this is an age old instinct, designed to help keep them away from predators.
However, I believe our pet dogs like us there, and usually they do not die peacefully at home, or in their sleep.
If it's a bad illness that causes a lot of pain (like cancer), too, they should be "put to sleep" with human intervention, which, of course, requires a human to be present.

This is an excerpt from a tribute I wrote to a long-term foster we had...and tells about how, at the end, my dog lifted his head and gazed into my eyes.

Even the veterinarian was amazed, as he was loosing consciousnesses, that he became almost "hyper aware" and made that final contact with me. It was really beautiful...

You looked once again into my eyes today as you parted the earth, when your crippled, painful body could contain you no longer, you lifted your head and looked up and gazed deep into my eyes as you left…as if to burn my image into your memory…or perhaps so I could burn yours into mine. I will never forget that last gift you gave me.
That is beautiful. And awesome and sad at the same time.

What I couldn't figure out with Tinker (yes, she had a fun name, but that was what the shelter had her coming to ) was that she wasn't sick. She did have a fatty tumor, but that was removed years before she died. She was so loved, and you could really&honestly see, she loved everyone in my family so. My dad, more than anyone, I think. Don't know what it is about him, but now all 3 of our dogs have made it a point to seek him out and sneak attack a cuddle session, which he so openly accepts (which is funny since he was the one that was most hard to agree on getting a dog!)

She was still pretty full of life at 11/12 years old(they weren't completely sure of her age-judged by her teeth) and she never seemed in pain. Although, you could see she was getting older- anytime my mom said "I've got some bad news" I always asked "is it Tinker!?" I was not prepared for the time that she said yes.

My mom found her, and she and my dad buried her in our backyard and placed a beautiful stone over it. I catch Buddy(our wheaten terrier mix) lounging right next to it or on it every so often. I like to think he knows there was a girl before him that was so loved! But hey, who knows what dogs think, really!

-“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
Old 12-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Some do, some don't. In the end, death is a very personal and solitary experience. All living things go about it in their own way..

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
I'm not sure, all the animals I know that have passed naturally have mostly been at night off by themselves or in their sleep.

I've only euthanized one dog personally and after the sedative he snuggled right into my arms and then passed away. I think he was grateful for me being there with him
That is really sweet.

I already dread the day, and my babe is only 9 months. She is my first dog that i adopted myself without parents.
When she had parvo at 7 weeks, she screamed and cried when they shaved her leg and stuck a catheter in for the IV fluids, my god, I felt so helpless to her and was crying myself with her and wanted to leave the room. Our wonderful, wonderful vet said "it is so much easier for her fur parents to be in here with her. She would also probably love if you talked to her and held her while this was happening" I realized then that I couldn't show her how upset I was, and needed to show her how much I loved her and was there for her no matter what! She nuzzled into my neck like she always had, and still cried a little bit, but was very, very less visibly distressed. As sad as that moment was for me, I won't forget it!

Old 12-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

When our old girl died this past April, we brought her home for her final night. She stayed close to us all night, next to the bed, in the same place she always slept. We heard her breathing change around 4 AM, and my husband lay with her and held her in his arms. She nuzzled into him as he whispered to her. Each member of our family, including the canine members, thanked her for the gift of her friendship. Then she took her last breath and left us. She was surrounded by love as she left this world.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have the opposite experience. I had two fosters die natural death. One had congestive heart failure, the other was thrown out of a car and probably developed a blood clot. They both waited for me to come home from work and passed away minutes within me stopping by to take care of them. They waited for me...
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.