German Shepherds Forum banner

Having a pretty tough time

2K views 17 replies 18 participants last post by  pyratemom 
#1 ·
I have two GSDs (brothers Duke & Max) that came home with on March 8, 2008. This past Wednesday morning at about 5:00 am Max had what appeared to be an epileptic type seizure. This was the first time that I'm aware of. It lasted about a minute then he started to come around and appeared to stabilize. Within half an hour Max was bugging to throw the ball or stick. Basically wanting to play as normal. I phoned my vet that morning when they opened at 8:00 am to ask for advice. From what I described I was told to keep an eye on him for a while to make certain he was settled down. I stayed with him until noon. Max and Duke both seemed to be OK and were getting on with their day. I called the vet again and set up an appointment for 9:30 this morning to have Max checked out. I went in to my office for a few hours and when I came home they both appeared to be doing OK. All went well Wednesday night and we all got up yesterday morning around 5:00 and started the day as normal. I went to work around 8:30 and everything seemed to be OK. I got home around 5:00 to find Max lying on his side motionless with Duke sitting at his side. I freaked out immediately and went in to the kennel to discover Max was dead. I’m single so it’s just me and the boys so there was no one around to observe what happened. It’s now around 5:15 Friday morning. Duke managed to get some sleep but I’ve been up most of the night feeling absolutely awful. I can’t describe the pain and grief I feel. I will call my vet at 8:00 and ask what I should do next. Thanks for reading my rant. Again, I feel awful and confused and just needed to vent a little. I can’t recall the last time I felt this kind of pain and hurt.

See less See more
#2 ·
That's awful, I'm so sorry :(:hugs:

#6 ·
Wow, I am so sorry for your loss. It's never easy to let go of one our family members, especially when it's so unexpected.
As Stosh said, please don't beat yourself up over this. You contacted your vet and followed their advice. Sometimes it really is out of our hands.

#8 ·
Im so very sorry you lost your boy. I would have done just as you did. It must have been so sudden and there was most likely nothing you could have done to change it. Give Duke some extra love. I'm so sorry.

#11 ·
So very sorry. You did everything you were supposed to do. At least he wasn't alone, he had his brother by his side. Hope you and Duke can be a comfort to each other.

#17 ·
I'm so very sorry, don't blame yourself, there was nothing you could have done differently..I hope Duke will help you thru your loss:(

#18 ·
Hugs for you and Duke. Duke was a good brother to the end and he will help you recover too. Give yourself a chance to grieve and be kind to yourself. I hope this link helps you feel better.:gsdhead:

The Rainbow Bridge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.