Question about Grief. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I never thought that dogs would grieve so much until we dealt with it with our sight hounds. He was 14 years old and the oldest of three and had always been their good top dog, next to me . He was PTS at home with the others present. They saw him for a few more hours, snuggled hesitantly up against his body, which he would never have allowed when he was alive. When we buried him, one of them tried to jump into the grave to be with him. They both stood at the edge of the grave until he was buried. Dogs are so incredible sensitive.
Then they went on an anorexia plan, became depressed no matter what we did for them. I had to cook up some very special meals to keep them going. It took them about 5 months to be back to normal. I could have never imagined what impact this could have had on dogs. 6 months later WD came and the house was alive again.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Finn is just a mess. He's definately off his feed and so I made him his favorite meal: rice, baked chicken, sweet potatoes, with a bit of chicken broth mixed in. He'll eat a very small bit, then go lay back down on her pillow. I thought about collapsing her kennel and moving her pillow, but he won't lay in/on anything else. He's definately not himself. We're going to see the Vet on Friday, it was already scheduled for his second Kennel Cough shot, but I want him to get checked over. He played with his toys for the first time this morning in the back yard, but I'm hoping his appetite improves soon.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Shaolin Its so hard to see your dog grieve. Lucky today was in the LR and heard our neighbors tractor and ran out to bark and chase. I went out to redirect and she stopped and said "Its good to see him back to chasing and playing ball. She had noticed his lack of interest and just his general down mood. Its been almost 7 weeks . He really came back fully today. I think having the vet look at Finn is a great idea. Lucky got alot of steak ,chicken and beef soup bones in attempt to spark his appetite.He at first would eat part of it but then would walk away.I think our Vacation helped him. I know it was good for both my husband and me.Take care.
Maggi

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

when my 14 year old passed this feb my 9 year old went into depression. they had been together since she was 8 weeks. she too laid on his bed and stayed with his toys. she still lays on his bed i never had the heart to take it away.
what i did was shower her with extra extra attention. i took her for extra long walks..played with her non stop and took her everywhere i could.. spoiled her more than ever. i think it helped us both heal some.
i believe her appetite came back after a month..and she started to play more than too.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

He played for the very first time yesterday, which was great. His appetite is up, just a very small amount, but it's there. We as a family have started to discuss new dogs, which we had been doing prior to her death, so hopefully we will be adding to our pack in the next six months.

"Go mairidís beo"
Old 09-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. When Pyrate crossed the bridge in May Raina grieved him immediately as he had been here every day of her life. She went off her feed for a few days and had to be encouraged to eat. To this day she still will not play with any of the toys they played with together. She wouldn't even play at all for weeks. I bought new toys, took her to an easy Rally competition for a couple days, bought more new toys. Slowly she started to play a little and wake up to some of her previous happy joyous self but she would back slide still too. I just took her on a 10 day road trip with new toys, new places, and new people to meet. She enjoyed the time with just me and her together I think and did start to play more. It has been almost 4 months and she is just starting to get back to her normal self - still won't play with the toys with Pyrate's smell though. She also seems to have become more protective of me. I wish you luck. Give it time. Each dog is different.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

He sleeps on her pillows, not his. They didn't really play play together; she was 10 when we got him and she wasn't much for toys, but they would be out in the back yard chasing each other. She would wait until he chewed his rawhide sticks into flat strips, then she would steal them and chew them into tiny pieces. He's chewing on the strips she worked on, but won't start another roll.

Hubby and I are going to take him to the beach for the first time this weekend. We just had to wait until they closed for the season, then the beaches open to pets. I figured something new and different would be good for him.

"Go mairidís beo"
Old 09-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master Member

Buddy looked for our Beagle for a week, and searched the house for my diabetic cat for a week, too. He moped and seemed depressed. My first GSD, Bear, wouldn't eat when we went on vacation without him unless we left him with one particular friend. I think, like us, it just takes time. I'm sorry for your loss.
KentuckyGSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 12:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My experiences were somewhat different. Barker the Elder joined me and a 12 yo as a 12 week old pup. The 12 yo was a dear, patient dog but she would have been more pleased to have Barker the Elder as a guest. BTE was quite taken with the senior dog. When she died 3 years later, BTE and I drove the body to the crematory a couple hundred miles up the road. It seemed to me that BTE's attitude changed once we left the body. She did let me know that for my sanity I needed to bring in another pup - someone for her to boss around. Otherwise she was going to pester me to death.
Ironically, 12 years later Barker the Elder was fading and Barker the Younger and I went to the vets to visit and expected to put BTE down. BTE rallied, and BTY climbed in her kennel as if to say "you go home, I need to stay." I took BTY home but we were back the next day. Her hemangio had returned with a vengance & she was euthanized. BTE rallied, came home with me, and lived another 8 months.
The Barker Sisters truly were best buddies and undoubtedly confidants too. While I think in both instances the bonds of the dogs to one another was quite strong, it seems they somehow communicated what was going on with one another and accepted death of the other.
I think taking the dog on a special trip could be helpful. It would signal that although things have changed, life is still good.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm very sorry for your loss.

When my old girl died of hemangio in April, we brought her home to pass. Our whole pack was with her as she took her last breath cradled in my husbands arms. It was a very loving passage. I think it somehow helped us all with accepting her passing, in a way that would have been more difficult if it had happened at a vet's office, without the whole pack present.

My old male who had been her friend for 9 years did not go through a long, difficult grieving process for only one reason: my foster puppy. She had been with us during Ivy's death, and something magical happened between that puppy and my male during the event that caused him to bond very deeply with the puppy. They became inseparable and adore one another. Needless to say, we "foster failed" and kept her because of how good she was for all of us during that dark, sad time. She came to us for a reason--we didn't know it when we fostered her, but we believe she was sent to help us through the sadness and make it possible for us to form a new, happy pack.

Having a new dog-friend sometimes helps ease the loss--at least it did in my experience.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.