What if YOU died... - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #61 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
I think I will adopt this philosophy...
Seriously, I have to think really hard on this. I can't die unless my dog is taken care of. I really don't think my dog would be happy without me and all the people I trust enough to take care of her either have infirmities that keep them from doing it or live far away. My sister in law is my only option for Raina. Pyrate's ashes will be scattered with mine on the ocean. If Raina has crossed the bridge by that time her ashes will be scattered with ours. The cats my daughter would take care of along with whatever possessions I had left at the time.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #62 (permalink)
Master Member

this is something i have thought about too, when a close family member died i saw how his little dog was anxious, wandering the house as we had to pack and clear out his house. a close friend of his took the dog. i have often thought since then, and as i get older, that after all my dogs i have now have passed that they would be my last dogs. it is hard to think about, i know if something happened before that time my kids would take them, but i guess it depends on how lonely you get after they are all gone.
readaboutdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #63 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberGSD2 View Post
I actually have it explained in my will what will happen with all my animals if I die. I worked at a humane society for to long and saw what happened when people were not prepared and I never want my animals to go thru that. I have homes lined up for the rehomable. I also have clear cut instructions that Kya will go with me if it happened.

It is hard to think of what would happen with them. Even though I have places where they would go and be welcome I know that no one will ever treat them the way I did, nor love them as much as I did.

We have made provisions in our wills too. We will likely always have dogs, so it is critical that we spell out our wishes for them. They also have money that goes with them for their care. I only have one sibling and so does my husband. We have chosen friends who are also GSD "people" to be the appointed care giver and new home should the unthinkable happen.

If you are going through hades, keep going!
Scarlettsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #64 (permalink)
Elite Member

Wildo..I would take Pimg..not sure if she could stand Max and Tim..tho! lol..
If family members cant take Tim, he goes back to TriState Collie Rescue. I am thinking about asking one of our trainers if they could help place Max if needed. Hmm good thread. I am really worried about my Mom and her pack of border collies..geesh! Hope there is a good border collie rescue near her..
Old 09-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #65 (permalink)
Elite Member

If I can offer up my two cents on what to do with your animals when you die...

I'd recommend having something in writing for what to do with your animals. All too often I've been sitting on the scene of a recently deceased person and their (insert number) dogs and cats trying to figure out what to do with them. In my little slice of paradise, the community had to pay AC to come out after hours...and it was AC's choice to come out. More often than not, they refused to come out, and there wasn't much to be done about it. We were usually stuck with taking the animal back to our station, if family couldn't be reached/they refused to take the animal/couldn't get there until much later, putting it somewhere safe and warm, and either waiting for family to arrive, or having to take it to a no-kill sheter/vet's office.

I also have a "letter" from my animals to any would-be rescuers in case I'm in a car accident. It says:

"Hi! My name is_____! I'm ____years old and I'm a ____. My vet's name/address/phone number are_____, my Mom and Dad's name/address/phone number are _____. My Mom and Dad say that_______ (name/address/phone number of family/friend(s) willing to take animal in case of emergency) can take care of me if Mom and Dad aren't feeling well. I eat_____. My medical problems are______. They would want me taken care of if I get hurt and I would like that as well. (Pet Insurance info follows that statement). If I'm in too much pain and I'm suffering greatly, I'd rather go visit my friends across the Rainbow Bridge than suffer. Mom and Dad give you permission to put me to sleep if you feel it's in my best interest.

Thank you for taking such good care of me.

Love, (Animal's name)

I tape it securely to the inside of the kennel/carrier along with the most recent info from the last vet appointment inside an envelope. I have In Case Of Emergency written all over the envelope. I never considered doing anything like this until I dealt with my first pet involved MVC. The driver died, the dog survived. We had no idea what to do with the dog, so we contacted a few animal shelters and local veterinary offices and gave them the 'Found Dog' information. The dog was kept with a rescue and reunited with family a week or so later.

Since then, all my animals have documentation on what to do with them if something ever happens to myself, my hubby, or my MIL.

Finnian The Irish Lad WGSD: SAR
Abeni the Little Warrior: Pomeranian rescue.

"Res nos operor ut alius algo"
"Go mairidís beo"

Last edited by Shaolin; 09-30-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Shaolin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 AM   #66 (permalink)

Hmm... Luckily I am still at home but if I were to move out hopefully my mom would take Kono back in. I couldn't imagine her being alone or ending up in a shelter... She doesn't even like me 5 feet away from her :\

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
-Will Rogers
PuppyKono is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 01:02 AM   #67 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My baby boy would go to my Mom and Dad, who would spoil him rotten just like I do.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #68 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Powell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell View Post
My sister will take Jolene and if she couldn't handle Mickey my silly Sibe, who actually at 8 CAN be quiet inside will go to a friend who has experience . He sleeps or stays on the sofa listening to WKDK and me doing the weather.....
I had my sister come over and walk Mickey and he REALLY did well. I am just worried I won't outlive them.
Powell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #69 (permalink)
Master Member

I've had a Will since I was 18 because you just never know, when I brought Gaia home said Will was amended to include where she goes. My parents or brother would be taking her, whomever was in a better position at the time. She loves going to their house and is very comfortable with them.

My friends think it's silly of me to have my dog in my will let alone have one at such a young age where I don't really have an "Estate" but I like to be prepared.

I also have an "Incase of Emergency" package with her information, my information and any emergency contacts. One in my purse, one in my dash and one in her crate.

Having a firefighter as a father has prepared me for a lot.

Courtney M.
Gaia-GSD 03/09/2012
Cuervo vom Kiebitzende 07/01/2013
gaia_bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #70 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm pretty sure the "grandparents" would have a fight over who gets Rooney. They love him to death and would take him in a heart beat. And my mom isn't even an animal person but she loves that dog like its a grandchild. I'd probably trust my GF's family more with him though since they're dog people and currently have a dog.

If they don't take him...I'm sure there are plenty of people at my club that would love to work with him so I'm not worried about the little bugger finding a home.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.