What if YOU died... - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #41 (permalink)

My 3 dogs would go to my husband, first off. If something happened to both of us then my son and daughter have been given permission to do what is best for them. The breeder of a few of our dogs is to be contacted first to give her the option of taking back any of her breeding and/or help place them if my kids can't deal with them all. We have 11 dogs total so it would be a big responsibility for them to take that on. I know that my son would want Uma, my female GSD and both of them want Sergeant,my Lancashire Heeler. The 11yo male GSD is to stay with my daughter as he is too old to place. The rest will have to be dealt with as best fits each dog. Luckily we have good friends who will help with placement and have even said they'd take one or two.
I would have the remaining Australian Cattle dog euthanized as he is not a candidate for rescue (we got him by default and he has issues) and I wouldn't want to risk someone ending up with him that couldn't deal with him.

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #42 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratemom View Post
I don't think I can die.
I think I will adopt this philosophy...

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #43 (permalink)

i dont think i'll die either.
after 20 years in the military,
multiple deployments,
multiple firefights in iraq/afghanistan,
jumping out of a perfectly good airplane,
i'll live forever and i'll take all your dogs...GSD only please!

just incase i die, in my will is to bury me in a pile of empty brass with my kimber. LOL!
rshkr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 12:23 AM   #44 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If I died,my husband would take over the care of the animals. If both of us died,then the dogs/cats are to go to my friend who I knew since High School.Other than that I really wouldn't trust either my family or my husband's family to care for the animals even remotely close to how we would. I have seen some places that offer the purchase of a reserved spot in their sanctuary if something were to happen to you,but I'm a little iffy on that because there really is no guarantee that they will be contacted if something happens to the owners. It would really depend on who finds the animals and if they have the integrity enough to follow through with your wishes. I've seen animals displaced too many times by surviving family members of the deceased, even though they promised to care of the animals. So yeah we are prepared,but I try not to worry about it. Too depressing.

Last edited by Gharrissc; 08-22-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #45 (permalink)

If I died, my parents would take Salem. They have grown quite attached to him! Although I did promise my ex-boyfriend him as well... He is very good with him. I guess they can have a custody battle over him!
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your friend. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Salem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #46 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'd offer back to the breeder first, stud dog owner second and my sister's friend third. She has another dog from the same breeder (out of the same bitch), and she was the one who put a word in for me.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #47 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

If I pass, both would go to DH. If we both pass, Shadow would go to Son and DIL. There are others in line who would gladly take Shadow and be a good home if for some reason she couldn't go to Son. That is spelled out as well.

My biggest concern is Woolf even when I pass. DH is crazy about him, can handle him but doesn't take the management and liability issue serious many times. So I am really struggling with that. If we both pass, Woolf would go with me.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #48 (permalink)

If I die my husband will take care of the dog and since he's the dogs favorite toy I think they'll be OK.
Anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #49 (permalink)

IF I die today, my Molly will go to my parents (she's a Papa's girl lol) and my fiance will raise our Fergus..

But I am Superwoman and invincible thus I will never die...

svtcobragirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #50 (permalink)
Elite Member

This thread really got me to thinking. I've always taken the attitude that after all the times we have cared for our children's pets, they can certainly take of ours if anything happend to us. But that isn't totally realistic, since we have 7 animals at present and my daughter lives downtown in a large city in a studio apt. that doesn't allow dogs. I think at this point in time, Snowball (18 yr. old cat) and Heidi (11 yr. old GSD) would probably be put to sleep. Both of them are too set in their ways and too old to weather a relocation well. Corina (black lab) and Sooty (long-haired cat) would go with our son, as Corina gets along well with his dog and Sooty used to be his. Spooky (cat) and Mouse (cat) would be pressed on my daughter. That just leaves Loki (chocolate lab) and he would most likely go to the no-kill shelter where we volunteer. I know they would find him a good home. He is dog aggressive and everyone we know either has dogs or can't have dogs. Guess we should put all this in our will, as our kids aren't mind readers. I would have no qualms about linking their (meager) inheritance with them taking the animals we decide they are able to take.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.