Having a Terrible Time Trying to Make the Decision - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I also feel you will know when the time is right..Unfortunately what makes the decision even harder, is, our dogs minds stay sharp but their bodies give out

I'm so sorry your going thru this, cherish every day
It's never easy for any of us, but I try to not be selfish and think of myself and how much I will miss my dog, or how guilty I will feel.

Instead I try to remember how much I love my dog, and what will be best for her. Quality of life and all that involves.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My 12.5 yo has a back problem and has a hard time getting around. I purchased a harness for him and give him some help on the stairs and sometimes getting into our bed. It works great and it makes our life easier.
He still enjoys eating, fetching (I have to limit that), snuggling, even though physical activities are harder for him. He has had an occasional accident, I am glad to clean it up, he is worth it.
I won't let him suffer, but he is nowhere near ready to go. He has a strong will to live and I will support him.
Attached Thumbnails
Having a Terrible Time Trying to Make the Decision-sit-march.jpg  
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

I am sorry you are having to go this part of having animals, sometimes even part of having humans. Do all things for the right reason and find peace in that. Wishing you the best.
Kath & Clan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I do not think you should wait much longer. My parents had a greyhound that they loved dearly. He started to show signs of arthritis/ degeneration in his spine and they continued to treat him. More steroids, more pain meds. He continued to get worse but because his mind was still strong they couldn't accept it and continued on.

One morning my mother woke up to find him laying at the bottom of the stairs, completely paralyzed. He was panicked, screaming and bloody. He had torn up his skin in his desperation to get up but couldn't. It was heartbreaking. I ended up being off work that day and went with my mom to the vet. The vet came out to the car to put him to sleep as there was no way we could get him inside. The dog was in such a panic there was no time to even sedate him. He was panting and screaming off and on from pain and terror. It was HORRIBLE and traumatic for everyone. The dog would only settle down when he was held by my mom or I. I held him while the vet gave him the shot as my mom was just crying too hard. I held him and talked to him. He went quickly.

When Tessa's body started to fail her, I waited until she could no longer get up the steps or get in the car by herself and started becoming incontinent. Her mind was still good but I did not want a repeat of what happened with my mom's dog. I took Tessa in and held her on my lap. There was time to sedate her first and then give her the final shot. It was peaceful.

I am so sorry that you are going through this. Each and every minute you have left is a gift.
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
DharmasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 01:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have seen quite a few dogs over the years that enjoyed life even though they needed assistance with stairs and cars. I don't think the screaming and getting all bloody is typical. There is a lot between the two extremes.
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #16 (permalink)

Thank you everyone for your kind words. This really is a horrible choice to have to make after having a companion for so long.

I know it's only a matter of time at this point, and all the issues Tala is having are things I'm taking into account. One thing though is that I don't think she's actually in a whole lot of pain. She is on anti inflammatory meds which seem to be keeping any discomfort under control....but she has started having good and bad days. It stresses me out so much when I see she's having a bad day, or when she doesn't eat for a period of time. I'm having a hard time trying to gauge her quality of life. I wish I could just ask her "Are you happy, is everything ok?" *sigh*
Old 07-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

i think if you're asking is it time then it's not the time.
your dog will let you know when it's time. get a harness
to support your dog when she's walking.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.