Would you post your dog's obituary in the newspaper? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #31 (permalink)

Thers no way i would post an obitury in the local paper for my dog. I mean he is part of our family but he is last on the totem pole so to speak. The last dog i owned that died, i simply told my family and friends how it happened. As fas as burial he was placed to rest under one of my shade trees. I know some people that never had kids and they treat their dogs just likemtheir kids and i find it silly to be honest. I will add that afte reading this post i do feeel a little silly for creating a blog for my dog but in my defense it is mainly because i stay bored and facebook isnt allowed in my house so it is used in a way to share news with the family and for me to track my gsd growth because i am really forgettful, lol. Wow do i feel odd about my blog now.
http://jacob-blaze.blogspot.com/
Jacobs-mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #32 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobs-mommy View Post
Thers no way i would post an obitury in the local paper for my dog. I mean he is part of our family but he is last on the totem pole so to speak. The last dog i owned that died, i simply told my family and friends how it happened. As fas as burial he was placed to rest under one of my shade trees. I know some people that never had kids and they treat their dogs just likemtheir kids and i find it silly to be honest. I will add that afte reading this post i do feeel a little silly for creating a blog for my dog but in my defense it is mainly because i stay bored and facebook isnt allowed in my house so it is used in a way to share news with the family and for me to track my gsd growth because i am really forgettful, lol. Wow do i feel odd about my blog now.
Why?

You love your dog, you care about your dog, you are proud of your dog, you want to mark his life and growth. Why should this thread make you feel silly about your dog blog.

Uhm, you don't put your dog in a tu-tu do you? And then post that on your blog?

I don't know much about bogging.

But it sounds like something I might like to do with my little people -- that sounds silly. But it is a hobby I enjoy them, and other people might as well, and then I could give people on dog forums a break.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah

Last edited by selzer; 06-14-2012 at 06:00 PM.
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #33 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have to admit that when Pyrate died I considered putting up a poster in his memory at the post office because we walked there almost every day of his 9 year life and he had a lot of friends there. I wasn't looking forward to telling them each individually as I was having a pretty hard time dealing with it.

Instead I waited a week and then started taking Raina to the post office. It was easier to introduce her and tell them she was filling her big brother's furry foot steps now. As each friend found out, we did shed tears together but in the end I felt it was more fitting than just putting up a poster. Evan after almost a month, I still cry when I have to tell someone that hasn't found out yet but it is sort of a good feeling to know that he had so many friends.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
It is funny how so many do not want to pay up front for the breeding and everything that goes into breeding a quality litter. But they will buy, buy, buy, buy, buy every foul stupid item under the sun that no dog needs, and probably shouldn't have. DNA, six or seven generation pedigrees, raincoats, and so much more.
I get pet supply catalogs for the business and I'm always astounded at the products I see... dresses for dogs, strollers for dogs, designer beds for dogs, and yes, even little caskets and urns for dogs.

It shouldn't really bother me, but I think about the starving children in third world countries, and the fact that the amount one person will spend on stupid stuff their dog doesn't need, could feed an entire village for a year.

Oh, and the factory workers in China putting in 100 hours a week making this stuff.

But aside from that... Truth be told, some of a dog's favorite things are not gourmet dog biscuits with frosting, designer clothes, or fancy handbags to be carried about in. A stick is just as good a toy as anything you could buy. Cat poop is the most delectable morsel they can imagine. Rather than designer doggie perfume, they prefer the alluring scent of rotting dead frogs. So it's pretty silly to think you have to spend a lot of money to keep your dog happy.

But then, I guess it was never about the DOG.

Quote:
I wish people would invest in their dog, invest in training their dog, feed sensibly, vet care when needed, and treat the dog like a dog.
Hear hear. I really can't fault people for spending money on their dogs, but I do wish they'd spend more TIME with them, or invest their money in the important things like training, socializing, grooming, etc. Feeding good food, not "designer" food, vetting sensibly. So many times I hear people complain about how expensive dog training is, while their dog is wearing a designer leather collar... priorities, people!
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Why?

You love your dog, you care about your dog, you are proud of your dog, you want to mark his life and growth. Why should this thread make you feel silly about your dog blog.

Uhm, you don't put your dog in a tu-tu do you? And then post that on your blog?

I don't know much about bogging.

But it sounds like something I might like to do with my little people -- that sounds silly. But it is a hobby I enjoy them, and other people might as well, and then I could give people on dog forums a break.
It makes me feel silly because i write from my dogs perspective, lol. So in a way i am making him equal to a human which i know he is not. I dont know i guess the obituary thing is making me think where do people draw the lines between their dog and say their kids. And no i dont dress him tu-tus. He is a boy, lol. In the past though i have bought santa hats and such for my other dogs that have since passed. And i do plan on getting a bandana for him for the fourth of july when we go to watch the fireworksin town.
http://jacob-blaze.blogspot.com/
Jacobs-mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Who even reads a newspaper anymore? My local paper has gone to 3 days a week delivery and hardly puts in any 'local' news. It is thru MLIVE and we get the state news, a few tidbits of local if it is really juicy. There are no longer the amount of wedding/anniversary announcements as compared to a couple years ago.
I've subscribed to the paper for over 30 years and am at the point where the internet is much easier to access the local news(including obits)...the main reason I get a paper is to line my bird cages, honestly.

I have a friend who will be sending her Briard to the bridge tomorrow and there are many people in the community that know this dog. If any one would put in an obit in the paper, it would be her. We don't have that option locally, and I think it is fine, fb has all the latest anyway.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #37 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Please do not stop taking the paper?!? Our Gazzette went to a smaller size -- they mail it once a week. Much harder to line the litter box with. And so we have the Star-Beacon, and yes you can get it for free on line, with no paper copy.

I NEED newspapers. I know a lot of people use other things like wood chips and blankets to line their litter boxes, but I feel newspapers are absorbent and safe -- never lost a pup with papers, like you can in the folds of a blanket. But it is scary how few people even take the paper any more.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 01:12 AM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobs-mommy View Post
It makes me feel silly because i write from my dogs perspective, lol. So in a way i am making him equal to a human which i know he is not.
I talk from my dog's perspective...as in, "he's like, 'oh hey, where's my dinner, person!?'"
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.