Would you post your dog's obituary in the newspaper? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

No. I would not want to have a family who lost their little two year old to cancer, find her obituary next to Muffy.

This post really made me chuckle, and I agree with it.
LaneyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I disagree. Post a small article about the dog in the paper, that's how it is done here. Have pictures. Obituaries are for humans, all humans. Just being a Service dog, SAR dog, Therapy dog, or police K9 does not make the dog human. It does not get a plot in the cemetary either.
Just because you disagree, doesn't mean that I can't have a different opinion. Personally, I have no issues with it, when Working Dogs, that served the communities for years and years, get their own obituary.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the subject, because we won't change each others position. No matter how long we are going to run in circles and this is one of those themes where you can run in circles for a dozen years.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
If the dog was big in the Community, like a Police Officer, SAR K9, Therapy Dog, Service Dog etc. I think it's warranted to post an obituary.

General Fiffy, Fluffy, and ol'Yapper... no.
That's what I was thinking. A Police dog, or an SAR dog with many finds to his credit, or an otherwise notable public figure of a dog should have something written up in the local paper. Not sure if it belongs in the obituary section, though.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Not that I know of around here Mrs. K, but there are faiths that believe a dog is dirty or unclean. They would not want to be buried next to a dog. As far as i know dogs are not buried in our cemetaries unless they are cremated first, I suppose one can put the ashes of a dog in with a person. Not sure.

But it is more than making a dog equal to people, it is making your deceased loved ones equal to dogs. And whether that dog is a police k-9 or a beloved pet for 14 years, it really does not belong in the paper next to the humans.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Just because you disagree, doesn't mean that I can't have a different opinion. Personally, I have no issues with it, when Working Dogs, that served the communities for years and years, get their own obituary.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the subject, because we won't change each others position. No matter how long we are going to run in circles and this is one of those themes where you can run in circles for a dozen years.
Please don't tell me that I will have to agree to disagree. All I have to do is file taxes and die. If you want to duck out of a conversation because you don't want to have a row about it that is fine. But don't tell me what I have to do.

The idea is repulsive to me, service dog, k9, SAR dog, doesn't matter. Obits are to commemorate a person's life, list their survivors, where they worked, etc.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah

Last edited by selzer; 06-14-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Please don't tell me that I will have to agree to disagree. All I have to do is file taxes and die. If you want to duck out of a conversation because you don't want to have a row about it that is fine. But don't tell me what I have to do.
Oh jeez....here we go again. I'm out!

As for pet cemeteries, they are common in Germany. At least in my area from where I'm from.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Pet cemetaries and pet obituaries are fine if they land in their own sections. Why not bury dogs next to people in your cemetaries? Why do you have pet cemetaries. I have no problem with death-notices for dogs if it is in their own section, run as often as the newspaper feels it makes sense, once a year, once a month, once a week, depending on population, but not next to people. Dead people cannot speak for themselves. It is a matter of respect.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 06-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
No. I would not want to have a family who lost their little two year old to cancer, find her obituary next to Muffy. Sorry, a dog is a dog.
lol!

But yes, I agree. I've never seen a dog/pet obituary in the newspaper and I don't think it belongs there anyway. Unless it were a newspaper about pets only, then it would be ok imho.

Facebook, pet forums, I think those are the right places for this.
Dejavu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
Thanks for the idea, I had not even thought of Facebook.
Since we have the rescue, we have a "gone but not forgotten" section of the rescue page, which is nice and pays tribute while also making sure all but the completely clueless don't ask "how old is this dog, how much is it's fee??"

I think I may extend to the public a section they could post their own "gone but not forgotten", even if they did not adopt it from us.

I agree that "famous" and police K9s, whether SAR, Drug detection, etc. or a patrol dog should have a little story in the paper for remembrance. But not in the people obit section.

We do not have pet "semetaries" (remember Stephen King!?) but here, we have a place we can bury our passed pets and rescues out under one of the trees.

Last edited by msvette2u; 06-14-2012 at 02:48 PM.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well thanks everyone for posting your opinions. Now I won't make a faux pas in the future where this matter is concerned.

Personally, I would not mind at all to have my remembrance, grave or ashes placed in the presence of people's pets. I like Mrs. K's info about the pet cemeteries in Germany. We don't have any in my area.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.