Euthanization - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Our last gsd had seizures beginning at about 11 yrs of age. We tried meds but she was so unhappy and scared and tentative about everything- she had been a fearless, energetic dog and a great protector. Hiding in the laundry room, even unsure who I was at times was not the dog she had always been. I struggled with the decision for two weeks, searching her face and eyes for signs of improvement and peace that I knew really weren't there, I was just hoping. It's such a horrible decision for us but one that our dogs trust us to do if necessary.
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #22 (permalink)

Our Butch has bone cancer. Spread to the soft tissue. A week or two left. Best dog I've had the privilege to know. Scared I'll never find another. Front end is great (eyes, brain, legs). Rear end going to ****. Ribs collapsing etc.

We keep looking in his eyes waiting for the signal. Currently he wants to play Stones-lite. We used to throw small stones 8 feet in the air and he'd flip like a cat to catch them. now we throw them just in front of him, but I think he remembers the good times

He's regressed to previous comfort zones - beneath my desk (now barely fits), going between your legs etc. Stuff he grew out of. He knows something's up despite the heavy pain killers.

[Me] Quite drunk, on sleeping tablet, so please excuse ramble, but this is hard. He's not even 4. Vet says cancer hits young, cancer hits old. Rarely in the middle.. Fsk.

Never had to put a dog down before. Not looking forward to the learning experience...
Zenithtb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

13 is really the upper range for the GSD.....I have an 11.5 year old I can see going downhill now...it is very very tough....balancing the issues they have and finding that point where it is kinder to let them go.

As everyone says, it is quality of life....and doing what is best for the dog, even though it breaks your heart to let them go....this forum is full of people who understand what you are going through and are supportive....

Lee

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #24 (permalink)

Just had to put my Raider down on Thanksgiving day. He had Mega-esophagus and was regurgitating his food... also had aspirated pneumonia. We prepared our selves for the difficult task of feeding him up-right, so the food would go to his stomach from gravity. When we went there to pick him up.... something else had happened and he wasn't able to walk more than 3 steps with out collapsing. The Vet said he could "try" giving him a shot that may help temporarily.
I couldn't do that to my best friend. So my wife and I decided to have him put down.
My heart is literally broken and this house seems so empty. I feel like i did the right thing, but the second guessing and the "what ifs" are haunting me.
I know another dog is in our future. But, i don't think that will happen for a while.
RIP... My friend. I will always Love you. And i'm sorry for not being as perfect as you were.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That had to really be devastating Snipers215 I am sorry for your loss ...... "All of these are heartbreaking, I dont know why I read them"

Last edited by Loneforce; 11-24-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
13 is really the upper range for the GSD.....I have an 11.5 year old I can see going downhill now...it is very very tough....balancing the issues they have and finding that point where it is kinder to let them go.

As everyone says, it is quality of life....and doing what is best for the dog, even though it breaks your heart to let them go....this forum is full of people who understand what you are going through and are supportive....

Lee
Yukon is 9 now. He is super healthy but you can slowly start seeing his age. It's going to be very hard to let him go one day. He's my absolute heart dog.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

MrsK...Cash is 9 now. He is superhealthy but you can slowly start seeing his age. It's going to be very hard to let him go one day. He's my absolute heart dog.

(Yes, I copied it word for word, changing only the name. We are in EXACTLY the same position, I kind of wonder how I'll bear it.)

To everyone else who has lost one of these wonderful creatures, I am so sorry. What a gift it has been for us to know each and every one of them. My mother used to say that we're never separated from those we truly love, and I like to believe that's true. They are such incredibly special dogs.
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am sorry that you must suffer through this.

You know your dogs, and can determine what quality of life they have.

It is never easy.

But, you have had 13 years on two GSDs, and that means they had a good life.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

I'm so sorry about your loss...but yes it sounds like your dog had a good long, very loved life
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #30 (permalink)
Elite Member

There are two common trains of thought in veterinary medicine when it comes to continuous seizures. If a young dog starts to have seizures, it is most likely epilepsy. If an old dog starts to have seizures, it is most likely a brain tumor...

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.