Euthanization - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

especially with two of them, you'll want to look into having a vet come to the house, if at all possible. it's so, so much better for the dog (and for you too). such a hard decision, i know...have you read the section here on the board about quality of life assessment, and also about sedation issues before/during euthanasia? alot of good and useful information.

welcome to the board, sorry it's under such difficult circumstances. take care.
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Definitely address this with a vet. First to rule out any "preventable or treatable" causes for their conditions. Then put yourself in their paws? Are they truly happy, or are they floor rugs that lie around and let the world revolve until dinner and bed? Do they look like they have a quality of life? If not, then it may be time to say goodbye. It is never easy - but you have to be comfortable afterwards knowing they are free from pain.
firnatine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
From what you've described, it's time to let them go. You have to think of their quality of life and not how much it's going to hurt to put them down. You've heard the saying: if you love them, let them go.
Ditto. It's time to let them go.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Also agree with what Elaine said
holland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Putting down my 12.5 year old was the hardest thing I ever did, and it still stings. She was still there mentally and as sharp as a tack, but her life revolved around, eating, crying (in pain) and being carried up and down my back steps (she was 90 pounds and a large bred GSD) when she had to go to the bathroom, and barking at the mailman every morning.

She could no longer play with my sisters dogs and would cry. I couldn't take her for walks. Her strength was almost completely gone in her back legs.

We came home on the 4th of July and she had fallen down and was scared of the fireworks. She couldn't stand and had injured her leg.

We tried everything we could, supplements etc. She gave us 12.5 wonderful years and I cried all the way to the vet. She was crying because she wanted to look out the window (she LOVED car rides, and it was perhaps her only joy left in life, and she couldn't even do that without help anymore). I held her up so she could look outside the window.

We knew it was time, and we got a stretcher to get her inside the vet. She smelled the flower pot on the way in.

We just couldn't do it anymore. I would have gladly have continued to carry her in and out to use the bathroom, but her quality of life was horrible. She could no longer do any of the things she loved. I felt selfish for keeping her going.

My dog before that died of natural causes at 12.5, but she wasn't struggling like my Nikki. Every situation is different.

We knew it was coming, but it still stung. I can't imagine what people must go through who lose dogs at a younger age, or have dogs with health problems at a younger age. My heart goes out to those people. In the back of our minds we knew that she had led a long, happy life.

We stayed in the room with her and it was quick and painless. We will always remember her.

It was just time.

Last edited by kateydog; 08-01-2012 at 08:57 PM.
kateydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

beautiful post kateydog. i hope the op found the strength to do what was best for his/her dogs. bless their hearts.
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I believe that its our greatest gift we can give when the pain is too great and the joy in their life is gone to allow them to leave us and go where they are not infirm and incapaciatated. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time. It is the gift we can give that hurts us but frees them, Just went through this with my Daisy a week ago. I understand the position your in . Take care.
Maggi
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

wow that is a difficult decision. I had 2 pts this year 8 months apart I couldn't imagine both at the same time. Only good thing is you wont have the other dog looking for the other. By the sounds of what your saying, yes it is time to let them go. Sorry you have to go through this. I couldn't imagine how I would feel in this situation. I'm sure no words will help make you feel better. Never second guess your decision though..The gift of easing their pain and suffering is a mighty gift and a love filled one.
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

We had to make that decision about a week ago, Our Lex couldnt hardly walk anymore either and we couldnt watch him suffer anymore, We felt we owed it to him to not be in pain anymore despite the love we showed him and everything the vet had done for him, He just couldnt make him any less pain free. RIP bubba
manson6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #20 (permalink)

Hero had DM (degenerative myelopath) and would loose his bowels. As a family, we decided it was time when he started to loose his bowels. He was a dog who would never go to the bathroom in the house, and if he ever did (which was rare) he would be so mad at himself since he knew that was a bad thing to do. When he started to loose his bowels, he knew he was a 'bad dog' but we knew he couldn't help it. Soon it got to the point he had no idea he was going. As a family, we decided since he was depressed and was not the same dog as he was.

Technically, you have the choice to decide, but with us, it was time.
Jaders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.