German Shepherds Forum banner

Cody will go over the bridge today

5K views 32 replies 33 participants last post by  DonP 
#1 ·
He's not a GSD, he is my darling Golden Retriever who was an abuse/neglect victim, came through the rescue I foster for, and stole my heart.

Unfortunately the pain from his bilateral dysplasia and spondylosis have gotten the upper hand and despite attempts at various treatments and pain meds, his temperament has deteriorated along with his physical condition :(

So goodbye sweet darling boy, my "heart dog," my living example of the immense capacity dogs have to forgive human failings and find joy after pain and terror. You deserved better than what life gave you, better than what your original owners did to you. May you run pain free and with joy in my dreams.

See less See more
#6 ·
I hope you are able to find some peace and comfort in knowing that he won't be in pain anymore. It is so hard to say goodbye to them, even when we know it is the best thing for them. You are in my thoughts and prayers. We said goodbye to the greatest dog I've ever known 2 weeks ago, and miss him dearly. In the end they have given us so much we have to release them from their pain often before we are ready. Hugs and warm thoughts. Here is a prayer the Father from our Parish gave me when we were struggling. I hope it brings you some comfort.

God knew that you were suffering.
That the hills were hard to climb
So He gently closed your eyelids
And whispered 'Peace be thine.'
In tears we watched you sinking
We watched you fade away
Our hearts were surely broken
You fought so hard to stay

But when we saw you sleeping
So peaceful, free from pain
We could not wish you back
To suffer that again
It broke our hearts to lose you
But you did not go alone
For part of us went with you
The day God called you home...

#18 ·
I'm so sorry. It is so hard to let them go but sometimes it is for the best. Know that Cody will be pain free and will remember you as his loving mom.

#20 ·
So hard to say goodbye....treasure the memories.

#25 ·
He's not a GSD, he is my darling Golden Retriever who was an abuse/neglect victim, came through the rescue I foster for, and stole my heart.

Unfortunately the pain from his bilateral dysplasia and spondylosis have gotten the upper hand and despite attempts at various treatments and pain meds, his temperament has deteriorated along with his physical condition :(

So goodbye sweet darling boy, my "heart dog," my living example of the immense capacity dogs have to forgive human failings and find joy after pain and terror. You deserved better than what life gave you, better than what your original owners did to you. May you run pain free and with joy in my dreams.

What a beautiful dog! And a very lucky one in the last part of his life at least!

RIP, Cody!

And our great sympathy to you!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.