German Shepherds Forum banner

Cody will go over the bridge today

5K views 32 replies 33 participants last post by  DonP 
#1 ·
He's not a GSD, he is my darling Golden Retriever who was an abuse/neglect victim, came through the rescue I foster for, and stole my heart.

Unfortunately the pain from his bilateral dysplasia and spondylosis have gotten the upper hand and despite attempts at various treatments and pain meds, his temperament has deteriorated along with his physical condition :(

So goodbye sweet darling boy, my "heart dog," my living example of the immense capacity dogs have to forgive human failings and find joy after pain and terror. You deserved better than what life gave you, better than what your original owners did to you. May you run pain free and with joy in my dreams.

See less See more
#30 ·
so sorry for you and cody

I know all to well the pain of having to put them down. My Molly was a rescue, she was the product of a divorce, the husband didn't want her but kept her just so the wife couldn't have her and kept her caged for 18 months. My daughter was dating this guy's roommate and she saw Molly. She told him if he didn't give her the dog she was going to tell me and he'd be in big trouble as I volunteer on the animal abuse website. So she said "take the dam dog or I"ll shoot her" Course once she got the dog she brought her home to me. I'm not even going to get into the condition she was in when I got her. But I took her in, cleaned her up and got her healthy and fell in love with her. I taught her what it meant to be a dog, she had no idea what toys were, didn't know how to play, she was a pathetic sight. But over time she came out of her shell and was the best girl ever. I had her a short five years then took her for a routine checkup and found she had lymphoma. She lived five weeks after that. I promised her that the last thing she saw would be my face and the hardest thing I had to do was take her to be put to sleep but I stayed with her to the end. She will be gone a year on the 25th of this month and I still miss her. So I know how you feel. But it will get better. We never get over loosing them but we learn to live without them.

Your Cody is with my Molly probably playing together as we grieve for them but with time the pain will lessen but never entirely go away

#31 ·
Feeling your loss-it's never easy to let go. Knowing you gave Cody a wonderful life despite his initial start, you will forever be in HIS heart:)

Run on Cody:paw:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.