Would you ever preserve your dog after their passing? - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #51 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narny View Post
In Texas it is legal to shoot a dog if its your own dog (or if you have the owners consent) on your own property. Its not cruelty because I am not using the dog for target practice or risking the health of anyone.

When animal control comes we tell them we put them down and they take the body. No problems at all.

I actually called a vet to find a way to put the dog down with meds and he said a bullet would be the most humane way to do it at home.
We've had to do it on occasion. When one lives 30 miles or more from the nearest vet and that vet is only open Monday-Friday 8-5 there are times when it is not practical or kind to wait. I have to laugh at all the take the dog to the e-vet messages on here sometimes. People forget there are some places that don't have an e-vet. We once stiched a dog who had ripped open his side (100+ stiches) on some fencing with a needle and fishing string. Took him to the vet first thing Monday morning and vet said we did a great job, we saved his life.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #52 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
We've had to do it on occasion. When one lives 30 miles or more from the nearest vet and that vet is only open Monday-Friday 8-5 there are times when it is not practical or kind to wait. I have to laugh at all the take the dog to the e-vet messages on here sometimes. People forget there are some places that don't have an e-vet. We once stiched a dog who had ripped open his side (100+ stiches) on some fencing with a needle and fishing string. Took him to the vet first thing Monday morning and vet said we did a great job, we saved his life.
This is how my husband and I were raised. We were in the country and the closest vet was over an hour away. I learned you just did what you could when you could and when you couldnt, you let them be at peace.
Narny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 04:56 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDkid View Post
I was just searching online for rugs for dogs and came across this photo. I just thought it was a terrible idea and kind of creepy. What's your take?

omg!! that is horrible! we do not keep ANY remains , ashes or anything else , our memories are in our hearts, we do not need to keep a tangible thing to remember our gsds. but thats just us. but that rug is just too disturbing!
bellamia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #54 (permalink)

Thats horrible! That poor dog looks as if he were flatned by a truck!
GSD Parent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #55 (permalink)

Disgusting & creepy - photographic proof that there is no limit to bad taste & disrespectful behaviour these days - YUCK !!
Sasha S. Husky 11/95 - 3/09
Blitzer - WGSD 11/96 - 12/06
Czar S. Husky 6/80 - 10/96
Baron S. Husky 5/82 - 11/95
Sheba - Black Lab, childhood dog
DukeJazz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 01:18 AM   #56 (permalink)

That is extremely disturbing. I could not handle that, I don't even know how to put it into words.
Desmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #57 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdome View Post
Taxidermy in the worst form.
Joke comes to my mind: "How is a taxidermist like a necrophiliac? They both mount dead things."
I guess being from the south where a lot of folks hunt, it doesn't bother me. I've seen some gorgeous ducks that I wouldn't mind having, although I wouldn't know where to put them. Mostly we eat them, though.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #58 (permalink)

i don't really have a problem w/taxidermy. i've got some wings and body parts of birds and wild animals that i've done myself. but one of my pets, no i don't think so. where ever i've been living if a pet of mine passed they were always buried at their favorite resting place in the yard. i've never left them at the vet unless i had no where to leave them. once when i was homeless i left a dog at the vet for disposal. but that was it. that was heart wrenching.

if i lived in a place where it were legal, i would've taken care of euthanasia myself as well. i was raised country as well, their deaths are as much my responsibility as their lives. that's why i always bring them back to what they knew as their homes. once the spirit flies, there are only bones left, it doesn't matter when i finally leave. they are always in my heart and mind.

dw~
Dragonwyke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #59 (permalink)
Elite Member

Oh dear lord... there was a taxedermy show on a channel somewhere that stuffed household pets. I won't lie, I can see how it might be comforting to look over and see your old pal lying serenely in a patch of sun. Y'know, until you remembered that he died twenty years ago. *shudder*

But the rug is definitely a no. I cannot imagine why anyone would be interested in it. Especially with the whole head still there and whatnot. To each their own, I suppose!
marbury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #60 (permalink)
Master Member

that rug is just wrong on so many fronts i don't even know where to begin...

kidkhmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.