We don't have long - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #41 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetkaos View Post
Thank you doesn't seem like enough.....We will enjoy every day indeed. We have decided to set the appt as I am less than optimistic we can get him to a pain level I'm comfortable with having him endure. He fell off the bottom two stairs today and the look in his eyes was chilling... he's ready so I need to be too. So glad no one is home right now, I am sobbing and look like a train wreck, Thank you again
You are very welcome. I wish I could do more!

You know him best, and it seems to me you've already seen it in his eyes. They let you know. There is no way to be prepared for this, it's just a matter of forcing yourself to make that call and that drive... no matter what emotions pop in your end.

I'm so sorry this time has come for him, but I know Kaos will forever love and protect you and your family..... he will always be thankful for everything you all did for him. Especially the gift of letting go and allowing him to be free from his painful body.

It still kills me to talk about this process... but, I feel if others haven't said it, it's very important. If you do go with the appointment, make sure to have them sedate him first. We did this for Peaches and it was the best thing for her. She was peaceful and painless for her last moments on earth... what an amazing gift that is! The look in her eyes was priceless.... she was so relieved. They pass on very peaceful and quietly this way....
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #42 (permalink)
Elite Member

Sedate him before we leave our house or after we're at the office?

And thank you for being open to talk about a very painful subject
mysweetkaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #43 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetkaos View Post
Sedate him before we leave our house or after we're at the office?

And thank you for being open to talk about a very painful subject
When I know it helps others, I don't mind at all.

We sedated Peaches once we got to the clinic. If I had known BEFORE the appointment that this was possible, I may have done it before hand (with a more mild sedation) so she wasn't so stressed going into the clinic (she never liked going to the vets). Thankfully our clinic is very very caring and brought her to a room immediately as we got there (most clinics do this as far as I know). So she didn't have to be in the waiting room for more than a minute as we carried her in. When you do it is up to you, but I would definitely make sure it is done when you get into the room. The one they use then is very strong and only takes a moment as it's an injection. Once they are calm and relaxed, and you are ready... they do the final injection, which stops the heart. To see them breathe so easily, and in no pain.... god it's amazing and they are so relieved. Peaches was happy when she left this earth, and that right there is what gets me through this time without her. She came into this world happy and pain free, and she left this world happy and pain free.
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #44 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am so sorry. We just went through this in November with our Shadow. I spent the day with him doing the things he loved doing and was still able to do. I took him through the McDonalds drive-thru and for the first time ever he got his very own entire burger. He loved his vet so the trip there was not a stressful thing for him. The only thing I wish I had done differently was to get more pictures. Again I'm so sorry.

Cindy
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm sure Kaos knows you'll do your best for him- he needs you now, maybe more than ever. There aren't enough tears
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just enjoy the last hours you have with him, as he will enjoy being with you. No matter how strong you think you are,there is really no easy way to say goodbye to a loved one, other then to show them your love. Im sorry that we all have to deal with this, sometimes it just doesnt seem fair. Never second guess your decision to relieve his pain. You are doing the nicest thing a human can do for their animal in pain. .....Sorry for your future loss Kaos you will be missed
Loneforce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #47 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Candice,

I am really sorry you are going through this. The one problem with dogs is that they are so **** special that losing them is like ripping apart our very souls. Try to think of this as the last gift you can give to your boy, though.

I let myself feel awful about it for a while, and then I gather up and create a group of pictures from their life. Pictures when they were a puppy, and the things I did with them, and when I gather them together, I celebrate their life, and know that overall, they had a good life, however long it was. That and increasing the work and things I do with the other dogs usually helps me put in into a place in my heart that is manageable. Pretty soon, I can tell stories about them, and talk about them with family, and the memories are good, not painful.

Again, I am sorry, it is the awful part of having critters.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 03:09 AM   #48 (permalink)
Elite Member

I am so very sorry that you are going through this. If there was a way I could take some of the pain away, I gladly would. Huge hugs to you and your family in this difficult time.

This will probably be jumbled, but here are some of the things I've found that help me get through the whole ordeal:

If you're unable or don't want to bury your dog, look for a pet cremation service, and arrange in advance for it, as you'll be overcome at the moment and possibly not able to deal with those kinds of arrangements. Some will even pick up your dog at the vet's office so that you don't have to try to drive any more yourself.

Let the kids decide whether they want to be there at the moment or not. If they do, then make sure you explain what will happen so they know what to expect. If they don't want to, then make sure they know that it is perfectly okay not to go. If they don't want to be IN the room, but want to see the body, allow it. They will need to have their own form of closure, and they will probably know how they can deal with it best. Trust them.

If possible, make it the first or last appointment of the day at the vet's office. If it's the first, you won't have to wait in misery in the waiting room, seeing the other pets coming and going. If it's the last, then you won't have to deal with walking out in tears through the other pet owners. Do any paperwork and payments up front so that you don't have to deal with it afterwards. It may be helpful to have Sherman with you, but not IN the room when it happens, so he can see the body as well. Perhaps he can wait in the car.

Spoil him completely rotten while you can. On the last day, give him any and all things he normally cannot have - if he loves ice cream and chocolate, let him have it. Feed him hot dogs or other "horrible" foods that he will love, but that is bad for him otherwise. It might be worth it to sedate him (pill in food) more easily this way if you think he will be upset at going to the vet's office. However, if he normally enjoys the vet, then I wouldn't go with sedation, so that he can be "himself" when he goes in.

Tell him that he has your permission to go, and how much you love him. If you're going to be in the room with him, then make sure you are telling him how wonderful he is right up until the end and how happy he has made you. Don't be afraid of him seeing you cry, he will understand. Don't think it's bad if he sees you grieving, he knows more than you think.

That's all I can think of right now, especially since I've used up the rest of my Kleenix, and I need to go hug my critters and bawl on them. I hate that you're going through this, that you're having this pain, it is a pretty awful thing to deal with. There's just one more thing, and it's a beautiful writing about the three most memorable days of your pet's life.
Quote:
A Living Love
If you ever love an animal, there are three days in your life you will always remember . . .
The first is a day, blessed with happiness, when you bring home your young new friend. You may have spent weeks deciding on a breed. You may have asked numerous opinions of many vets, or done long research in finding a breeder. Or, perhaps in a fleeting moment, you may have just chosen that silly looking mutt in a shelter -- simply because something in its eyes reached your heart. But when you bring that chosen pet home, and watch it explore, and claim its special place in your hall or front room -- and when you feel it brush against you for the first time -- it instills a feeling of pure love you will carry with you through the many years to come.

The second day will occur eight or nine or ten years later. It will be a day like any other. Routine and unexceptional. But, for a surprising instant, you will look at your longtime friend and see age where you once saw youth. You will see slow deliberate steps where you once saw energy. And you will see sleep when you once saw activity. So you will begin to adjust your friend's diet -- and you may add a pill or two to her food. And you may feel a growing fear deep within yourself, which bodes of a coming emptiness. And you will feel this uneasy feeling, on and off, until the third day finally arrives.

And on this day -- if your friend and whatever higher being you believe in have not decided for you, then you will be faced with making a decision of your own -- on behalf of your lifelong friend, and with the guidance of your own deepest Spirit. But whichever way your friend eventually leaves you -- you will feel as long as a single star in the dark night.
If you are wise, you will let the tears flow as freely and as often as they must. And if you are typical, you will find that not many in your circle of family or friends will be able to understand your grief, or comfort you.

But if you are true to the love of the pet you cherished through the many joy-filled years, you may find that a soul -- a bit smaller in size than your own -- seems to walk with you, at times, during the lonely days to come.
And at moments when you least expect anything out of the ordinary to happen, you may feel something brush against your leg -- very very lightly.

And looking down at the place where your dear, perhaps dearest, friend used to lie -- you will remember those three significant days. The memory will most likely to be painful, and leave an ache in your heart--
-
As time passes the ache will come and go as if it has a life of its own. You will both reject it and embrace it, and it may confuse you. If you reject it, it will depress you. If you embrace it, it will deepen you. Either way, it will still be an ache.

But there will be, I assure you, a fourth day when -- along with the memory of your pet -- and piercing through the heaviness in your heart -- there will come a realization that belongs only to you. It will be as unique and strong as our relationship with each animal we have loved, and lost. This realization takes the form of a Living Love -- like the heavenly scent of a rose that remains after the petals have wilted, this Love will remain and grow -- and be there for us to remember. It is a love we have earned. It is the legacy our pets leave us when they go. And it is a gift we may keep with us as long as we live. It is a Love which is ours alone. And until we ourselves leave, perhaps to join our Beloved Pets -- it is a Love we will always possess.

~~by Martin Scot Kosins
Old 03-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #49 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thank you everyone so much. I never thought I'd be so thankful for so many tears.

Original Wacky that was a great read, I am saving that for sure
Old 03-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #50 (permalink)
Elite Member

My husband just emailed this to me.....not sure where he found it, but it is lovely.
Thought all of you who have been through this or are going through it, might appreciate it

From a Grateful Dog
You're giving me a special gift,

So sorrowfully endowed,
And through these last few cherished days,
Your courage makes me proud.
But really, love is knowing
When your best friend is in pain,
And understanding earthly acts
Will only be in vain.
So looking deep into your eyes,
Beyond, into your soul,
I see in you the magic that will
Once more make me whole.
The strength that you possess,
Is why I look to you today,
To do this thing that must be done,
For it's the only way.
That strength is why I've followed you,
And chose you as my friend,
And why I've loved you all these years...
My partner till the end.
Please, understand just what this gift
You're giving, means to me,
It gives me back the strength I've lost,
And all my dignity.
You take a stand on my behalf,
For that is what friends do.
And know that what you do is right,
For I believe it, too.
So one last time, I breathe your scent,
And through your hand I feel,
The courage that's within you,
To grant me this appeal.
Cut the leash that holds me here,
Dear friend, and let me run,
Once more a strong and steady dog,
My pain and struggle done.
And don't despair my passing,
For I won't be far away,
Forever here, within your heart,
And memory I'll stay.
I'll be there watching over you,
Your ever-faithful friend,
... a young dog once again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.