Cremation - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2011, 01:19 AM   #21 (permalink)
Knighted Member

When Loki passed, I think it took about about a week-ten days to get his ashes back.
I was at the time given a choice between having the ashes returned to me or sent to someplace up north called Bubbling Wells Pet Cemetary.
Between the name of the place and Loki's severe destructive separation anxiety when I first got him....it only stood to reason to keep him with me.
( I also rent, so he must come with me. Burying isn't an option)

Also at the time, I really was in a daze and not paying attention so I was surprised that his ashes came in a nice cedar box with a little plaque on it.
I don't even remember saying to the vet to add "The Big Lummox" at the time...so Lummox is preserved....

I am again, so sorry for your loss.
CarrieJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2011, 07:49 AM   #22 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think the longest I waited was about 2 weeks - because the company in charge of the engraving on the urn had to redo it. I buy permanently sealed brass urns that I can put a different engraving on each time, so it usually takes a week to 10 days to get everything back. Burying in the garden is illegal in Denver - not that I would consider it anyway, if we move I want each and every one to go with us. If you feel that it is taking too long I would call your vet ( if he/she was the liaison with the crematorium) or the crematorium directly and ask them why.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge
Anja1Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
Elite Member

I can get my pets ashes back from our place in a day or so, or they will hold onto them for weeks if needed. I think it depends on a lot of things though, because they have procedures they need to do for private cremations to assure they are giving back the correct ashes etc.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:11 AM   #24 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think it largely depends on if you drop the pet off yourself at a crematorium or if the pet is picked up at your vet's office.

At both clinics I work at, a day practice and a night only emergency practice, we tell people 7-10 days.

Not to be morbid by any means, but helping people understand what really happens - the deceased pets are kept in a large chest freezer. Twice a week at both my clinics (it may be more or less depending on the clinic volume), the crematoriums come and pick up all the pets. Each clinic uses a different crematorium, but the process is the same timewise.

Luther was euthanized Monday. They had done pickup Sunday night, so I knew he would be here (at my work) for a while, which was really hard because every day I came in I knew he was in a freezer in the back. Today, Thursday, they did pickup, so I know he arrived at the crematorium this afternoon. That is already three days.

Then, sad as it is to say, I've seen the truck when it comes around to do pickup, we are far from the only clinic they go to. That is a large number of animals to process. Group cremations obviously would speed up the process, but private cremations need to be done individually, and this alone takes time.

I'm hoping to get Luther back by Monday, like you I am so anxious to have my boy back with me. I've been coping somewhat by caring his collar around in my pocket with me everywhere. Everytime that pain of missing him hits me, I give it a good hard squeeze and I feel like he is with me.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #25 (permalink)

When we had our golden done we got him home in a week. We took half of him and put it in his favorite spot in our yard. We also kept the other half and he will be split and buried with me and my husband.
jewels04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Good thoughts coming your way.

It took 3 weeks for mine to come back.

I just had the little box in my hands yesterday. We are moving and he is coming with us.

I am considering doing one of those glass memorial things with it. My Pekingese died in 2003.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.