2017 Litter Journal - Ironhide x Obelix - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Talking 2017 Litter Journal - Ironhide x Obelix

I have tried this before, but with two litters at the same time the first time I ever had puppies, I had NO hope of keeping an online journal up lol. So I thought I would give it another shot now that I am doing what sane people do, and just having 1 litter HAHA!

We arrived in Alaska on day 8 of her heat and got our first tie the following day, April 29. My guess is she ovulated on day 8, so likely "took" on the 30th/May 1st. So that would make puppies due July 1st, give or take a few days on each side.

Our ultrasound was May 29th and showed 6 for sure, possibly a 7th. As ultrasounds are so unreliable, we do have our xray scheduled for June 26th. I don't usually use ultrasound to count at all, just ask the vet to confirm pregnancy and make sure there is more than 1 in there - just so I can start to plan for a cesarean if necessary. This time a brand new vet did our appt, and asked for the practice, so I let her try her hand at counting.

This is Ironhide's third, and final, litter. Her previous litters were at 4.5 years old (7) and 5.5 years old (10). She is now 7.5 and I have noticed several differences with this litter that I didn't see with the first two - 1) she is SUPER affectionate. While Ironhide is hyper social and literally will climb in any friendly strangers lap for a quick greeting, she isn't "affectionate", preferring to share space than be pet or rubbed. Well imagine my surprise when this dog is now sleeping ON me, it was my first clue, and 2) she is slowing HERSELF down. With her first two litters we were having to slow her down for her own good, right up to the last week of pregnancy, before she finally would keep herself in check. This time, I noticed by 21-23 days she was already slowing herself down and she sleeps A LOT - much like a normal pregnancy I would see with one of my Pomeranians.

I will do my best to post at least once a week through pregnancy, whelping and puppy rearing - I beyond excited for this litter, just keeping fingers and toes crossed a lovely female will be able to stay back to carry forward her dams torch <3

Once my post count is up to 3, I will post some pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

This is the time in the pregnancy when I start to worry that the ultrasound was wrong, or maybe the litter was absorbed. I KNOW there are puppies in there, but she just doesn't seem to be as big as I *think* she should be lol. She also always keeps them up high, in her ribs, so it does take a bit longer for her bump to appear.

I have increased her food slightly - adding 1 cup of kibble in the morning, and about a 1/2 lb or raw food to her evening meal, 2 lbs total in the evening. I can still easily feel ribs, but her skin is starting to stretch. Following her previous 2 litters, her skin never did go back to its original "fit". She is one of those girls who packs on weight when pregnant (her mom was this way too), so its a balancing act of allowing her body to do what it needs to do, without getting out of control. She has previously produced TONNES of milk (her litter of 10 never needed any supplementation) and she has 10 functioning nipples, another plus.

Her regular weight is 58/60 lbs, when she delivered her puppies in 2015 (10 of them), she weighed an amazing 86 lbs!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Bump Watch day 37

kangel likes this.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Bump watch - Day 44
kangel likes this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

This is the ultrasound photo - meet "squiggle" lol

And us measuring our whelping box dimensions
onyx'girl likes this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:55 AM
Crowned Member

I heard about this. I'm so excited! I can't wait to see how they turn out.

T17 Working Dogs-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
I heard about this. I'm so excited! I can't wait to see how they turn out.
Me too

I first have to get through the "hard stuff" lol - I am hoping to keep a girl back, so I requested 8 puppies from Ironhide (4 boys, 4 girls). Guess we will have to see what she comes up with hahaha!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:10 PM
Crowned Member

I just checked out your FB page too. Very nice!
IronhideKennels likes this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
I just checked out your FB page too. Very nice!
Thank you
Stevenzachsmom likes this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:41 PM
Master Member

What do you make of a bitch that is very social, loves to share space, meet and greet, yet not really be petted or cuddle?

g/l with whelping!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page