German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Pregnancy, Whelping & Raising a Litter (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pregnancy-whelping-raising-litter/)
-   -   Seeking knowledge 1st breeding (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pregnancy-whelping-raising-litter/484305-seeking-knowledge-1st-breeding.html)

Twink90 08-30-2014 11:27 AM

Seeking knowledge 1st breeding

1 Attachment(s)
Last time I posted here it turned into a war when I sought guidance. So please don't waste my time or yours. I am breeding my girl in Sept with a reputable breeder from Germany. Both dogs are N/N on DM test, A stamp rating from the German SV on hips & elbows.
SG Darkwing Von Twinks Trinity BH BN CGC RN
2 of 3 legs toward CD
Wallaby Feetback BH AD FH
I want to be prepared to have a healthy litter of awesome pups! My girl gets a Raw/ kibble mix, Longevity & coconut or safflower oil plus fish oil. Is there anything else I should give to help her?
Vet just checked her out yesterday to make sure she was in optimal health. We discussed her std test, & vaginal swabbing for the best time to make the drive to the male.
Once she is bred is there anything extra I can give to being it the pups mentally or physically? Vitamin A?
Once pups are here I plan to see vet to check pups. I will vaccinate, worm & plan to have pups micro-chipped before they leave at 10 weeks . That way I can keep track of them in case they are list or ever end up in a shelter!
I will also have a contract guaranteeing health of pups.
Is there anything else that I could or should do that I havnt thought about? I'm freaked out & just want the best for my girl. & her pups! I do have 5 pups already spoken for & I'm not advertising before I know she is bred.

my boy diesel 08-30-2014 12:19 PM

maybe the males pedigree is not updated but it says elbows not known

carmspack 08-30-2014 01:10 PM

why would you go out of your way and provide safflower oil , which only adds pro-inflammatory omega 6, almost no omega 3 which IS what you should be adding Safflower oil: (1 tbsp)
Total Omega-3 fatty acids 0 mg
Total Omega-6 fatty acids 10073 mg (too much! Omega-6s)

to add to this safflower largely GMO , chemically extracted and hydrogenated.

Do not give vitamin A --- much different than providing a beta / alpha carotenoid which converts to A , water soluble , body takes what is needed the rest is eliminated .

Animal sourced Vitamin A is fat soluble which means it is stored in the tissues and can accumulate to levels which are toxic , effects of which can be liver damage, bone loss,
mental confusion , altered hair or coats - sparse .
The most common "animal" form which people give with good intentions is Cod Liver oil. Fish oil is not cod liver oil .

Vitamin A sourced from precursors , greens (chlorella/spirulina) carrots etc , contributes to eye function and respiratory health ... and more -

Twink90 08-30-2014 01:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I rotated between coconut & safflower oil because she gets dry skin . Especially in the winter because we heat with wood . So it's extremely dry in our house. I just never took her off of it.
Thank you for the advice & I will stop the safflower immediately.
Is salmon oil safe?

I'm also curious once she is bred, how much exercise? I train weekly with my IPO club, & Dock diving every 2 wks. Should she not do any if this after bred? She is high drive so could be frustrating for her.

my boy diesel 08-30-2014 01:33 PM

salmon oil
do not give cod liver oil at all

carmspack 08-30-2014 01:37 PM

"Do you prefer cod oil over salmon oil ?"
NO -- no cod liver oil , explained in my post about accumulating fat soluble vitamin A - which can be toxic .

I don't care for salmon oil that much either -- if salmon is chosen then it has to be wild caught - farmed salmon is higher in omega 6 .

I like deep clean cold waters herring

my boy diesel 08-30-2014 01:41 PM

btw i do not think a pregnant dog needs more nutrition than a high quality food

if you feed raw do not give kibble with it and vise versa

the most i would give a pregnant dog is high quality kibble perhaps with a squirt of salmon oil appropriate to the dogs size

after puppies are here you can give a few tbs of yogurt or cottage cheese and free feed the kibble so she can peck at it all day if necessary

my boy diesel 08-30-2014 01:45 PM

since you are concerned about the health of this litter
i would reconsider using this dog as a stud
Wallaby Feetback
i realize he is stacked but his back slopes off badly and i think you are going to have such exaggerated roach your puppies may suffer

i am a fan of show lines btw esp the deep red/black dogs and i do not see issues with this dogs parents in fact i like how his dad looks

i would use a dog like his dad but not him
take that for what its worth as i am not a breeder but i know what looks good and what looks mutated and poor wallaby looks mutated :shrug:

robk 08-30-2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my boy diesel (Post 5964745)
since you are concerned about the health of this litter
i would reconsider using this dog as a stud
Wallaby Feetback
i realize he is stacked but his back slopes off badly and i think you are going to have such exaggerated roach your puppies may suffer

i am a fan of show lines btw esp the deep red/black dogs and i do not see issues with this dogs parents in fact i like how his dad looks

i would use a dog like his dad but not him
take that for what its worth as i am not a breeder but i know what looks good and what looks mutated and poor wallaby looks mutated :shrug:

I don't think the op came here looking for pedigree advice.

my boy diesel 08-30-2014 02:39 PM

that is why i said i dont know pedigrees and am speaking from a health stand point robk
as per the op
Quote:

I want to be prepared to have a healthy litter of awesome pups!
and i know personally of a show line pup that has such overdone conformation that his rear feet drag constantly due to the exaggerated roach you see in wallaby
the pup is crippled

this litter may not be as awesome and healthy as the ops wants but youre right its her puppies :shrug: