German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Pregnancy, Whelping & Raising a Litter (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pregnancy-whelping-raising-litter/)
-   -   I need help with my girl i didnt know she was pregnant until pup this morning (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pregnancy-whelping-raising-litter/481745-i-need-help-my-girl-i-didnt-know-she-pregnant-until-pup-morning.html)

kylielulu 08-20-2014 11:59 PM

I need help with my girl i didnt know she was pregnant until pup this morning

I desperately need help and opinions, my 3 1/2 year old gsd has had a terrible couple months , we had found her outside one night with an obviously broken back leg , take her to the vets for operation they find out her other back leg is also fractured , 2 weeks later she had lost circulation in one and they had to amputate .

she has been home for 3 weeks and has lost most of her muscle in the other leg she has been hobbling around for weeks.

now the story of pregnancy

she must have been a couple weeks pregnant when she had her accident

the past week she has grown boobs , bled from the vulva and had milk wet her bedding , us and the vets on the phone were positive she was having a phantom pregnancy !

until this morning I let her out for toilet and she went in the garden , so I leave her and decide to check on her only to find a pup half way out !

I could see its fur and then at closer inspection it looked dead and I could see its face and feet.

I get my partner and freak out as we both weren't prepared for puppies and haven't seen a litter been born since we were kids

so I said he had to help get it out so he got a cloth and gently pulled it out , it still looked dead and lulu kept doing all the right stuff , we decided to leave her with it then go and bury it after she had spent a bit of time with it only to find it half eaten , worst thing to see!

ok now the bigger drama she hasn't done anything else but move to a different more comfortable spot and had some food

I have done a bit of reading online and now realise we should have left her to give birth and could have revived the pup :(

I have also given her some sweetened sour cream as they recommend calcium to start contractions

but I don't know what to do now I try to get her to walk around as I think it would help but with her leg missing and the other one with a pole and pins in it with no muscle tone its very hard for her,

please send me your opinions :(:(:(

wolfstraum 08-21-2014 12:01 AM

get her into a vet ASAP to deliver if there are more....you aren't prepared to deal with it and the dog is not either

Lee

gsdsar 08-21-2014 12:04 AM

Go to a veterinarian. Get an X-ray and see how many pups she has. Now. You guys are totally unprepared for a litter. She is physically limited. She needs constant supervision. She needs to he brought into the house, not left in the garden.

Find an emergency vet, load her up and go.

selzer 08-21-2014 12:06 AM

Agree, get her to a vet. It's a lot of work for a bitch with two back legs in good condition. If she has more in there and they do not come out, you can lose her.

kylielulu 08-21-2014 12:29 AM

ok yes we got her out of the garden as soon as possible but its where she wanted to be for that time, she has been laying out in her kennel as she howls when she is in her crate inside now she looks happy and has moved for a wee trying to hold of on the vets for a couple hours for now

wolfy dog 08-21-2014 01:38 AM

This sounds like an emergency and you should not wait to get her to a vet. Is this to save money or the dog? And what kind of responses are you hoping to get from the forum members?

Malachi'sMama 08-21-2014 05:40 AM

I hope she made it to a vet. Now is not the time to 'wait a few hours'.

She's been at the vet several times and most recently just a few weeks ago and they didn't realize she was pregnant?:confused: That's generally a pre-op MUST.

Lilie 08-21-2014 10:19 AM

Your girl has had numerous x-rays, surgery, medications, all the while she was pregnant. I am surprised the vet never checked - I'm guessing she had several x-rays - since you've had her.

Do you have any idea when she could have been bred? Was she yours when you found her outside? Or was she a stray? Was she pregnant during all of her surgeries, or was she bred afterwards? I only ask because of the importance of the health of the pups.

wyoung2153 08-21-2014 10:46 AM

Any updates on how she's doing? did you make it to the vets?

LoveEcho 08-21-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylielulu (Post 5929321)
ok yes we got her out of the garden as soon as possible but its where she wanted to be for that time, she has been laying out in her kennel as she howls when she is in her crate inside now she looks happy and has moved for a wee trying to hold of on the vets for a couple hours for now

I really, really hope you didn't wait.