Help with new (5 week old) pups!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2014, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help with new (5 week old) pups!!

HELP!!!!

We adopted (if you will) 2 5 week old pups last night. They were born 7/15 and their mom died 8/10 in an attempt to escape the chain link pen they were in. Her collar got hung up and she strangled to death, leaving 10 pups.

The pups were kept in poor conditions and were being fed cheap adult food mixed with regular cows milk. All of the pups have ticks.

The male weighs in a 2 pounds 10 oz and the female is 2 lbs 14 oz. We have been feeding them gruel of ground puppy food and Esbilac.

The owner sprayed them (or the pen) with some type of tick spray (that smells like Raid) so we bathed them and have been hand picking the ticks off.

We are concerned that they are small for their age, and how often we should be feeding them. Right now we are giving 1 TBSP powdered food to 6 TBSP milk mixed with warm water. We do this 3 times a day.

Their poop is mustard yellow (like newborn babies) and they are peeing ok. We also offer water after each trip outside and after meals.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Fablehill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2014, 07:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My advise is to call your vet.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

mention the Raid , which can cause neurological problems.

some people ...... where does it end

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't have any advise about puppies that young, except that anything you are doing for them seems way better than what they were getting. Good on you for taking them in!

A Vet's office should be able to tell you what to mix for food and what to do about the ticks.

I do know you'll need to work extra hard to keep them warm since they don't have momma until they can self regulate their body temperature. Maybe a heating blanket in their welping box?
Old 08-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

When a baby human's mother die they give him to a woman that gave birth before to breast feed him, not sure if you can give those puppy to a female dog so that she can breast feed them or not but if not i think a member over here will correct me asap , I am not sure about that but if its done with humans then I think it can happen with dogs.
And good job taking care of those puppies but don't feed them dry food too harsh for them . 5-6 dry food pieces in a milk spoon mixed with water(boiled well) for each puppy, they start feeding that to puppies at 3 weeka

"Vicky" 11/4/2014 (how to live without her?)
Maxil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you can find a bitch that has recently had puppies that can nurse these puppies I suggest you do so asap!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
bob_barker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2014, 10:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Esbilac mixed with ground puppy food, fed at least 4x a day. Keep warm, weigh every day. If they are gaining weight you are doing good. At this age most breeders would be weaning. So you have a good chance of seeing these pups through.

They won't have all the benefits of the mothers passive immunity, so be careful who visits.

Call your local kennel club and talk to breeders for support.

I hope they thrive!!! Good for you for taking them on.

You may want to contact some of the members on this board that breed, Wildhaus, lhczth, andaka, wolfstraum, and pick their brains. I know there are lots more, but my brain is fried. Sorry if I missed someone.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It sounds like the pups were 26 days old when the mother died. So almost four weeks. The pups should have been at least 4 or 5 pounds by that point. IF they are all GSD.

Then the breeder has been managing them for another week after the mother died, and doing somethings wrong. The adult food doesn't bother me, but the milk does. Cows milk is notorious for causing loose stools in dogs. And, loose stools mean the pups are not getting the nutrition they need. So they can be losing weight for that alone.

Add in the ticks, and the pesticide, do we have any idea whether they have been wormed?

I think the puppies need to be evaluated by a vet, and then fed many meals per day of appropriate dog food. Since they are so small, I would probably use a bitch's milk replacer rather than warm water, and a higher quality kibble. And I would feed them 4-6 times a day until they are gaining properly.

If there is a worm load, you might have to deal with that before you can get the weight gain, but the dog will need to be stable enough to handle the worm medicine -- so you need to be working with your vet to try and plan what is best for the pups. I probably would not vaccinate these pups the way they are, but I would not take them anywhere either, until they were vaccinated. I think you need to get them worm-free, parasite free, and solidly gaining weight before doing any vaccs.

A bitch with pups should never be left with a collar on. So many things wrong. These people sound really awful.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

The 'breeder' ( I use the term loosely) was an elderly hispanic man living in a rural area. I highly doubt they were wormed. He even suggested going to the feed store for the vax. Old ways I guess.....

We are doing 1 tbsp of replacer and 1 tbsp ground food with warm water. Their bowel movements seem to be evening out (less runny, more firm)

I can tell they are feeling better than the first night. They are more playful and begging for attention lol. We have 3 kids so they do not lack for cuddles and warm laps.

We have an excellent vet that helped us with our golden that just passed from lymphoma. We trust her opinion 110%. We are waiting to get them in until next week.

How can I tell if they have worms? The little girl does scoot after she poops, which makes me wonder....
Fablehill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

just assume they have worms .

if you can give them a bit of full fat goat milk , very easy to digest . Also goat yogurt , goat whey (powder) easy to digest and very nourishing

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.