What do you recomend me to use as bed in the whelping box? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2014, 05:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What do you recomend me to use as bed in the whelping box?

Hi all, my dog is about to have their puppies, and iīve already prepared a whelping box using the usefull tips found in the forum.
My doubt is:
should i use old newspapers or it is better to use blankets and towels, or a combination of both?
I know that itīs not the big deal but we want the dog feel comfortable the day D.

Thanks for your time
truff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

According to this AKC article https://www.akc.org/breeders/resourc...dog/step_9.cfm newspapers are used before and after the delivery. Then bath mats, or carpet, something to give the puppies better footing.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I use newspapers. Sometimes I will put a kennel liner in there after the pups are a few days old and the bitch is not bleeding so much. But I have had a bitch get some serious gas from ripping up and injesting part of one prior to whelping, so sometimes I just go with newspapers.

GSDs can learn to walk on them, no problem. They are insulating and absorbent, and friends and relatives will give them away, so inexpensive.

Blankets and towels always run the risk of having a puppy get itself wrapped up, and then laid on by the bitch, stepped on by the bitch, etc.

Some people use wood chips, or straw.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2014, 04:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks a lot. We have followed your advices and made a bed with old newspapers.
The bitch seems to feel very comfortable inside the whelping box so everything is ready.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I hope you have lots of newspapers on hand. Some people shred them like you do. I just open them and then spread them, usually 3 across overlapping and 3 down until I have a pretty good bed of them in there.

Prior to and during whelping the bitch will scratch at them, and that's ok. But after whelping, they will need to be cleaned out, and replaced many times. So I get into a system. Anyways, whelping is a really messy business, and there is no way to be neat about it. I just find that when I go to clean the box, I can roll them up, one way and then the other and then bag them.

You get to be quite the expert at cleaning the box quickly and efficiently when the bitch wants to get back in with her puppies.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
Old 07-27-2014, 07:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I hope you have lots of newspapers on hand. Some people shred them like you do. I just open them and then spread them, usually 3 across overlapping and 3 down until I have a pretty good bed of them in there.

Prior to and during whelping the bitch will scratch at them, and that's ok. But after whelping, they will need to be cleaned out, and replaced many times. So I get into a system. Anyways, whelping is a really messy business, and there is no way to be neat about it. I just find that when I go to clean the box, I can roll them up, one way and then the other and then bag them.

You get to be quite the expert at cleaning the box quickly and efficiently when the bitch wants to get back in with her puppies.
I think youīre right and itīs going to be better not to shred the newspapers. Anyway i will keep the whelping box as it is now, i dont want her to be disturbed, so after the puppies come i will follow your system. Thanks selzer
Old 07-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Keep lots of small hand towels around - they are excellent to clean a puppy off or to mop up as she whelps. You can get them very cheap at Walmart. Just toss them out after - they will be ruined.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 12:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
Keep lots of small hand towels around - they are excellent to clean a puppy off or to mop up as she whelps. You can get them very cheap at Walmart. Just toss them out after - they will be ruined.
This, I actually use the wash rags they have at WalMart -- cheap package of 15 or so. I use 1 to 3 cleaning each puppy, and yes, I toss them afterwards.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
Old 07-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for your tips. Where i live thereīs no Wallmart but I have something similar to use.
We still waiting, tic tac tic tac tic tac...
Old 07-31-2014, 02:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

8 pups, 7 males and one strong female. Everything went well!. She turns out to be a really good mother. Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.