Rescued Senior with a 5 day old puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rescued Senior with a 5 day old puppy

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I just recued Sophie a 9-10 year old GSD. We believed they used her to breed. From the information we got from the owner, her first litter she had 10, second one had 7 and her last litter on 5/10/14 had 4 but 3 died. The owner was giving her away with the 4 day old puppy. My wife and I rescued both and took them home last night.

We have 3 yorkies, but we havenít introduce them since she just had a baby. She is panthing really bad and will be taking her to the vet today. Any suggestions on how to make her transition easy and also what should I feed her. The previous owner used to feed her Purina puppy chow

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Rescued Senior with a 5 day old puppy-sophie.jpg  
AWPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How terribly stressful for a dam. I am glad you have her. Make sure she is not too warm, if she is panting, get a regular digital thermometer and take her temperature rectally. If she is up over 103.5 or 104, I don't know that I would wait to go to the vet at all. As she is older, she may have just been tired out and failed to get them all out, retained a puppy, etc.

You need to know if she is running a temperature. Her temp should be 101.5 - 102. She is stressed. But if it gets much over 103, it could be life threatening.

If they gave you food, keep her on it for a day or so, and slowly transition to a good adult kibble. Adding some Dannon's regular (not low fat) yogurt, and some fresh raw chicken, and some eggs (I cook them, boiled or nuked).

As for the adult kibble, choose something that you can wean the puppy onto. I use Diamond Naturals Adult Chicken and Rice. But there are probably better foods out there. Wellness maybe (not Core) -- don't go for grain free, and if you aren't intending on keeping the puppy, pick something that is relatively easy for someone to find.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm glad she's in a loving home now

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
How terribly stressful for a dam. I am glad you have her. Make sure she is not too warm, if she is panting, get a regular digital thermometer and take her temperature rectally. If she is up over 103.5 or 104, I don't know that I would wait to go to the vet at all. As she is older, she may have just been tired out and failed to get them all out, retained a puppy, etc.

You need to know if she is running a temperature. Her temp should be 101.5 - 102. She is stressed. But if it gets much over 103, it could be life threatening.

If they gave you food, keep her on it for a day or so, and slowly transition to a good adult kibble. Adding some Dannon's regular (not low fat) yogurt, and some fresh raw chicken, and some eggs (I cook them, boiled or nuked).

As for the adult kibble, choose something that you can wean the puppy onto. I use Diamond Naturals Adult Chicken and Rice. But there are probably better foods out there. Wellness maybe (not Core) -- don't go for grain free, and if you aren't intending on keeping the puppy, pick something that is relatively easy for someone to find.

The previous owner did not give us any food. So my wife just got one from petsmart on the way home. I will check her temperature today. Also any suggestions on pet insurance? I have insurance on my 3 yorkies but adding her would cost me $125 just by herself
Old 05-15-2014, 10:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Bless you for taking her and her pup. She is a very pretty girl.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 01:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Took her to the vet and vet said she has no fever. He also felt her tummy and he said it feels ok. They gave her antibiotic shots andsome drinks. She is very sweet. She is still panthing and dont know what to do. My wife bought purina and she wouldnt eat. She is drinking water and the milk supplement my wife bought.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh you did an amazing kind thing for her and her pup,

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

just want to say to you that sue (selzer) has a great deal of experience whelping puppies. can't get this dear old girl and her baby out of my mind. how is the baby? how did you get sophie to the vet without the baby? thank you SO much for helping this dog. purina is a very low quality food, if you can possibly afford something better that would be so good for sophie. could you cook her some rice and chicken or ground beef maybe? would you mind if I asked you where you are located (generally, not specifically). thanks AGAIN. please keep us updated.
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katieliz View Post
just want to say to you that sue (selzer) has a great deal of experience whelping puppies. can't get this dear old girl and her baby out of my mind. how is the baby? how did you get sophie to the vet without the baby? thank you SO much for helping this dog. purina is a very low quality food, if you can possibly afford something better that would be so good for sophie. could you cook her some rice and chicken or ground beef maybe? would you mind if I asked you where you are located (generally, not specifically). thanks AGAIN. please keep us updated.

Hi, On the first night my wife bought her food at petsmart forgot the brand but its quite expensive. She didnít eat so we called the previous owner and asked what they were feeding her. They said purina so my wife bought purina yesterday and she still wouldnít eat. She did eat some wetfood which is good to have something on her stomach. Shes drinking water and the chicken soup the vet gave us. Any suggestions what other food should I try?

My wife wants to ger Sophie an Xray and bloodwork but its kind out of our budget right now. Our little Anakin just had leg surgery a few months ago.

We brought the whole tub with the baby to the vet. The vet said the baby seems fine. We are worried with sophie because she still hasnít gone #1 or #2. I thinks she is still stress being on a new home. She gave my wife her first kiss yesterday at the vet. The little guy has a big appetite and sleeps pretty good. He seems very strong since he resisted my wife when she was trying to get him to suck on the other teats, he was fighting it and also he is very vocal

Iím thinking of naming the little guy Berlin. What you guys think

Oh I live in Castro Valley CA

Here are our yorkies. Brooklyn, Teddy and Anakin.
Attached Thumbnails
Rescued Senior with a 5 day old puppy-bat.jpg  
Old 05-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

I would try to get any kind of food possible into her - raw eggs (shell and all), boiled chicken, boiled ground beef, rice, pumpkin, yogurt, chopped steak, canned food - whatever she will eat. Since there is only one baby, she doesn't need a huge milk supply, but she will still need some - if she doesn't eat, she may lose it.

Where is her whelping box? Maybe a more private location?

So cute that she is starting to trust you guys more now - I am sure you will see even more changes over the coming weeks/months.

My Pom and Shepherd are expecting right now - My Pom went through a very picky stage where only scrambled eggs worked, now for both her and my Shepherd its beef and buffalo tripe, turkey livers and ground boneless turkey, anything else and they will turn their noses up at it.

How awesome of you to take her and the baby on - congrats!
N Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.