German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Pregnancy, Whelping & Raising a Litter (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pregnancy-whelping-raising-litter/)
-   -   1 year old whelping pups (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pregnancy-whelping-raising-litter/423058-1-year-old-whelping-pups.html)

Onelove8981 03-12-2014 05:36 AM

1 year old whelping pups

My one year old Has started whelping her litter of pups. She has had 3 puppies so far and we keep checking in on her in her kennal giving her water and words of encouragement. What else could we do to help her and what type of signs should we look for to know when she is done?

I am Going to be honest. I have no idea what to do or to expect with this process our girl got pregnant unexpectedly. We kept watching for her to go into heat we caught it her first time but I guess we missed her second one. We had no intentions of breeding her. We actually didn't even know she was pregnant until Sunday and I had an appointment with out vet to check her to make sure of our thought that she might be pregnant. I just thank god she mated with our other full blooded German Shepard. Please I do not put me down with this topic I am simply asking for help! Thank you In Advance.

hunterisgreat 03-12-2014 08:13 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Hope did you miss her heat? The only thing I miss when my female goes into heat around my male is sleep

Gwenhwyfair 03-12-2014 10:12 AM

Typical guy response! ;)

Ilda's heats were different....the hormone levels aren't always the same from heat to heat or from female to female.

I can see how it might be missed by an inexperienced person.

To OneLove, I'm not a breeder but given your lack of experience the safest route is to call your vet. They will probably want you to bring her in for an exam. You may also want to consider a mobile vet and have an in home visit.

I'd not leave the females side until you are sure she's done whelping and confirmed safe by a vet.

Also please stick around this site as there are several experienced breeders on here who can help with tips and suggestions on raising and finding the puppies good homes.

I'm sorry this happened but now you have all these little lives, including your female, depending on you. Don't be afraid to ask for their sake!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunterisgreat (Post 5181642)
Hope did you miss her heat? The only thing I miss when my female goes into heat around my male is sleep

Onelove8981 03-12-2014 10:34 AM

Unfortunately we live a small town and we don't have a mobile vet. I will call him now that it is morning. They don't have an emergency line either! :o( so far she is doing well and so are the puppies. Thank goodness!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwenhwyfair (Post 5182098)
Typical guy response! ;)

Ilda's heats were different....the hormone levels aren't always the same from heat to heat or from female to female.

I can see how it might be missed by an inexperienced person.

To OneLove, I'm not a breeder but given your lack of experience the safest route is to call your vet. They will probably want you to bring her in for an exam. You may also want to consider a mobile vet and have an in home visit.

I'd not leave the females side until you are sure she's done whelping and confirmed safe by a vet.

Also please stick around this site as there are several experienced breeders on here who can help with tips and suggestions on raising and finding the puppies good homes.

I'm sorry this happened but now you have all these little lives, including your female, depending on you. Don't be afraid to ask for their sake!

Gwenhwyfair 03-12-2014 10:44 AM

Thank you for the update. What some of the experienced breeders here have mentioned is making sure all the puppies are born. Sometimes the births can be separated by many hours or more. So the vet will make sure she has given birth to all the pups safely. Very important.

Also, just to make sure, you are aware that puppies can be very susceptible to diseases such as parvovirus? So discuss with your vet safety protocols to protect them from contagious disease.

I hope some of our breeders will be online today and see your thread.

Good luck with those precious ones! :)

Onelove8981 03-12-2014 10:52 AM

Thank you for your support. Hopefully some breeders will ring in soon. So I can't get some help in a few questions.

LoveEcho 03-12-2014 10:53 AM

I'll keep bumping the thread throughout the day.

JeanKBBMMMAAN 03-12-2014 10:55 AM

I did a notify of the first post. I only know that you need to make sure they are all out...

onyx'girl 03-12-2014 10:56 AM

Post your questions here, you'll get quicker responses if the breeders don't have to question you. How many pups so far? When did she start whelping?
What is she whelping them in/on? Kiddie pools are used often when whelping boxes aren't used.

Onelove8981 03-12-2014 11:03 AM

She delivers her first puppy at 10:30 pm (mountain time), so she has been in labor for about 10 hours. And she currently has 5 pups. She is in their kennel. (We have a huge indoor kennel for them that they sleep in during the cold winter months and at night) I didn't read the post about using news paper before hand, so she got in her kennel which has pillows in it. :/

My first question is how do you know when she is done whelping?

Second, do I leave her In the kennel with the pillows and dirty blanket or should I clean it out? Will she harm the puppies of I get them out and remove the blankets and pillows?

Thank you all for your responses and for bumping the post for me throughout the day.