German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Pregnancy, Whelping & Raising a Litter (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pregnancy-whelping-raising-litter/)
-   -   Breeders, do you take your puppies to the vet before 8 weeks? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pregnancy-whelping-raising-litter/412706-breeders-do-you-take-your-puppies-vet-before-8-weeks.html)

Liesje 02-18-2014 09:06 AM

Breeders, do you take your puppies to the vet before 8 weeks?

Breeders, do you take your puppies to the vet before 8 weeks? Why/why not?

wolfstraum 02-18-2014 09:46 AM

first check and vaccines between 7 and 8 weeks so that it is on board before they go to their new homes....health check by vet at this time to confirm nothing wrong, and testicle status...which is noted in the puppy litter record by puppy name/color..I had one litter with a couple with rear dewclaws - they went at 3 days to get them snipped off...pups went in the back door directly to surgery and were never put on any surface other than the basket in which they were transported. That is standard procedure at this particular clinic....babies never see the waiting room or standard exam rooms.

Lee

lhczth 02-18-2014 10:00 AM

Between 7-8 weeks for a health check, testicle check and their microchip. They are carried right to the room. I had one pup with a rear dew claw and she was carried in the back door at 3 days, held and never touched any surface.

RubyTuesday 02-18-2014 12:13 PM

Just curious, why don't you do your own dew claws? Or is it just the rear that you don't do? (I just realized I haven't seen a newborn pup since I was ~5 yrs old!)

wolfstraum 02-18-2014 12:56 PM

Squeamish :) :)

Lee

FirefighterGSD 02-18-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfstraum (Post 5043258)
Squeamish :) :)

Lee

:D love your answer

lhczth 02-18-2014 02:15 PM

I know how. Like Lee, couldn't do it.

Galathiel 02-18-2014 02:28 PM

By the by, dewclaws are left on the front. Occasionally, some GSDs will be born with dewclaws on the back and these are the ones that are normally removed. My pup was one of those.

RubyTuesday 02-18-2014 03:16 PM

Ok. I was somewhat surprised my friend does hers b/c she's ordinarily so soft with her dogs. Djibouti & Phoenix have their front dewclaws but I wasn't sure if breeders routinely leave those or not. I *think* my friend removes the front ones (I'm assuming the IWs don't ordinarily have rear dewclaws) but I'm not sure. I know she's had some spirited discussions with other breeders & afficianadoes as to which is preferable. Some opt for natural. She's afraid they'll rip. I'm (blush) largely indifferent. Most of mine have had front dewclaws & never had a problem. At least one didn't & no problems there either.

Liesje 02-18-2014 04:49 PM

I guess my question was more along the lines of...do puppies HAVE to be checked by a vet before they go home? I've met some breeders that do, others that don't. The latter are very experienced, do the worming, vaccines, and microchips themselves (don't remove front dew claws) and would take any problematic puppy to the vet, but feel an animal hospital is probably the last place they want to take a puppy that age unless there is a concern. I was just thinking about it today....and I couldn't decide whether I care that they are seen by a vet as long as all the important stuff is done and their health and development has been monitored. Two puppies I've had I was asked to take to my vet within 72 hours anyway so that I was satisfied with the purchase (so the buyer can't insist that a sick puppy at 10 weeks old was all the breeder's fault or something like that). I almost prefer to take them myself, since I can vouch for the cleanliness of my vet and me carrying the puppy in and out.