German Shepherds Forum banner

Do coaties always have the sweetest temperament?

4K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Zisso 
#1 ·
I have heard breeders say this, and I have to say that I've noticed it too: of the GSDs I've known, coaties seem to have the sweetest, most laid-back temperaments.

Breeders, owners, trainers, anyone with a lot of GSD experience, have you found this to be true?

I really, really wouldn't want to take care of that much coat, but it would be hard to say no if my perfect pup happened to be a coatie, and since I want a sweet, calm temperament, it seems like the chances are good that it may happen that way. At least I know a good groomer... :crazy:

#2 ·
Mine does...:)..and while it may not be completely in line with the standard I much prefer her this way than aggressive...who ever has a ball to throw is her new best friend..

#3 ·
Kacie my coatie is not the sweetest laid back GSD. I don't know her pedigree but think she's a mix of SL/and WL's.
She can be reactive to other dogs and people, but with my family and our other dogs she is pretty docile and sweet. She is fairly active and would be more if she didn't have a bum elbow. Of all my GSD's she is the lowest as far as energy level. Not much in the way of ball drive or food drive, but her prey drive is big.

I don't really think her coat type has much if anything to do with personality or temperament.

#6 ·
True in my case:wub: He is laid back, quiet in the house soft disposition and loooooves people, as long as they don't show up in his back yard unannounced. The coat care is not worse, just different. He sheds a lot of undercoat just like my previous stock coat girl but gets dirty faster since he does not have the water repellant guard hair. A few more baths maybe than a stock coat and a trip to the groomer for trimming twice a year. I'd pick another coatie again in a heartbeat.

#12 ·
Well, obviously... but what I keep hearing is that, in any given litter, the "sweet" puppies always seem to be coats.

And of the coaties I've met, most have been sweet.

I don't know if there could be any genetic link between temperament and coat type. It seems unlikely, but who knows?

#11 ·
Dena was very calm, sweet and laid back. Loved people, adored kids, got along well with other dogs on and off leash, not a reactive bone in her body.

Keefer? Sweet, definitely. Extremely affectionate for sure. But laid back? Um, no. More like enthusiastic, excitable, and energetic, even at 7.

Halo is kinda like Mary's pup. She's sweet and affectionate, but she's a naughty girl - still a destructive chewer at 4 years old, still will steal stuff off the kitchen counters if you're not watching, she's bossy and audacious.

au·da·cious
adjective
1. extremely bold or daring; recklessly brave; fearless: an audacious explorer.
2. extremely original; without restriction to prior ideas; highly inventive: an audacious vision of the city's bright future.
3. recklessly bold in defiance of convention, propriety, law, or the like; insolent; brazen.
4. lively; unrestrained; uninhibited: an audacious interpretation of her role.
Yeah, that's Halo. :wild:

(Funny thing: just now she flung her paws on my chest while I was sitting in my office chair typing this post. My husband said "that dog has no manners." :rofl:)

#13 ·
My puppy's breeder and I talk often. She kept three of the litter. My coated puppy sounds like the worst out of the bunch (said with love ).
I just do not believe that coat and sweetness/easy temperament go together.

It would be interesting for everyone on this thread to post pedigrees. I would venture to guess the pedigree would be more telling than anything.

#16 ·
#14 · (Edited)
Granted my pup is only 4 months old but so far his temperament has been amazing. He loves people and dogs, he will greet people like my golden does though I expect that could change as he matures. He's especially sweet and gentle with kids which surprises me because we don't have kids but he's met a lot of little kids in the two months we've had him.

He is a bit of a monster when it comes to my cats but that is improving lol. What's weird too is that I was prepared for him to be this horrible mouther but he is not landsharkey AT ALL! He will either just lick my hand or just hold it gently. He is also extremely laid back even for a puppy, he loves being active of course but he'll settle right down in the house.

I had a really rough time dealing with my breeder but I'd recommend her to anyone in a heartbeat! She's been at this for over 3 decades and well, the proof is in the pudding. He is a mix of German showline and working lines.

Also I have a golden poodle and well, I'm not sure anything could be much more of a pain in the arse then one of those as far as grooming goes. :p So I'm not too put off with coat maintenance.

#20 ·
Nope, not in my experience anyway. I currently have two coaties and a WL. The WL has by far the more stable tempermanent, strong nerve and sociable temperament. He also had buckets of drive.

My old coatie, who is now 11 years, is a sweetie with the family but with strangers and other dogs is just like gagsd's Cora - a grumpy old witch sums her up perfectly :laugh: We love her though :wub:

My younger coatie, who is a 4 year old WGSL, is a fabulous tracking dog, but is a bully to other dogs and has an overly sensitive nature. He, again, is a sweetie with the family, but isn't what I would call laid back ;)

#21 ·
For a historical point, coats were longer in the Swabian/Wurttember region because of the harsh winters. These bloodlines were also "laid backed" compared to the Thuringer lines. Is there a link to coats and temperament? If both parents are predominately made up of Swabian bloodlines, perhaps.

#22 ·
I have one of each.

Zisso is laid back, loving, great snuggler, tender, sweet and silly. But, he is also very timid at times...he is scared of brooms and loud booms, and anything unknown basically. 99% of the time he is fine...just don't make him mind!

Nadia is Bold. Pushy. Demanding. Hyper as heck. She paces, and traces every step I take, but making friends is not easy. She is uneasy meeting new people and will nip if they try to pet her. But once she accepts some one, they are hers forever. There is no denying, she has a big heart, but you have to pretty darn special to weasel your way into it. After living with my brother for 5 months now she still doesn't trust him. Yet my dad is her newest love and she swoons over him when he visits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.