Tattooing an older pup - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Default Tattooing an older pup

I know you have to get a tat done before they're 12 weeks otherwise they have to be under sedation. However, I got Grim right before 11 weeks and was spending the time bonding with him and time got away from me. Now I still want to get his tattoo done, but I don't know how to go about it. I don't think vets do the tattoo, and the people that do I don't think are certified to do the sedation. Anyone do this with an older pup? If so, how did you do it?
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Why the sedation? I've heard of a few older pups getting their ear tattood. I think Nikon got his at 12 weeks, maybe it was 14.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've had my dogs ears tattooed as late as 9 months, and another at 6 months. No problems and no sedation.
(I would say if they are ' antsy' about getting their ears touched, you COULD do a light sedation... I'd let the vet make that call)

My vet will do it if you bring your own ink and gun.

JMO.

Kat
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 12:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Well, those are the rules according to the people in charge of the IPO stuff.. I forget what the name of the thing is right now (bad flare). I talked to a guy who was the regional tattoo person before the move, and he said only until 12 weeks or they had to sedate according to the rules. I looked it up, and he was right. I don't know who else to take him to in order to have the tattoo done.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Since when does IPO make rules about that kind of stuff? Seems kind of weird. I can see if you are using a tattoo pen (like how we humans get tats) the dog would need to be sedated but the clamp is instant and I don't see how it hurts any more or less at 12 weeks vs 13 weeks, 14 weeks.... The main consideration I know of is that no one is really sure how much risk there is of damaging ear cartilage with the clamp so people do it right away (often 6-8 weeks) while the ears are still soft and going up and down.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

have seen 6 mo to 1 year dogs get their ears tatooed....as long as someone could hold them.....contact the local clubs like OG Buckeye.....I have seen Michelle do an older pup without sedation

You don't NEED a tatoo at this time - microchip is acceptable - since he does not have a tatoo from breeder with recognizable format, it won't make him any more easily traceable - the microchip will if registered

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.