New Subj Line: CL puppy having puppies - help needed from experienced pup raisers - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #51 (permalink)

Well, thought I would post a status since it's been a couple days. We've been in touch with a shepherd rescue in Wisconsin who asked us to send pictures of her. And a friend's brother was also considering taking Heidi. So we were feeling better about where she might have to go.

However, while at the vet for her weekly checkup, we found out that Heidi is having a false pregnancy. She's even lactating. The vet says she is almost 100% positive that Heidi will calm down and the issues will pass once she is done with the 'pregnancy'. She says that Heidi's hormones are crazy crazy intense right now, which is why she is so protective of us towards Sasha. She has shown no aggression towards Sasha when no one is near them. At times, they actually have sat and laid together the past couple days. Obviously we are still careful but we've had a somewhat calm peace the past few days *cross fingers*

So we've decided to keep Heidi and see how it goes once we can finally get Heidi spayed. She is really a sweetheart and so gentle with my kids and the cats. We are going to put up a baby gate and keep them separate and alternate who can come downstairs/upstairs etc. We've been feeling incredibly guilty and sad, and we simply don't feel right until we get her fixed and give it a chance. We're not expecting miracles naturally. If it improves but still isn't great, well then we will hire a behaviorist. We also need to work with Sasha as well, and we will walk them together which will hopefully help. We are willing to do what it takes to try.

We understand it won't be easy and if they simply cannot get along, then we will make a decision if/when that happens. But for now, we want to try. For the first time in 3 weeks, I feel hopeful! Thanks everyone for listening, and I will keep you all posted. Wish us luck.

I tried to attach a picture of Heidi that I took last night so you could see her beautiful eyes. She's older than nine months too, the vet thinks she is a little over a year, maybe 15-18 months. We are probably going to have her re-vaccinated too because I'm not sure if the scumbag people we got her from forged those papers too.
Attached Thumbnails
New Subj Line: CL puppy having puppies - help needed from experienced pup raisers-heidi.jpg  

Last edited by pinklady; 12-07-2012 at 01:43 PM.
pinklady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #52 (permalink)
Banned

When is her spay date?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #53 (permalink)

We called to see if they could spay her while she is in the false pregnancy. Waiting to hear back if they can do it. From the research I've done, it isn't usually suggested to do until they are out of heat. Which stinks.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #54 (permalink)

Tried to edit last post but couldn't for some reason. The appointment is set for December 17th.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #55 (permalink)
Banned

I don't know about false pregnancies much, but if she's lactating she's out of heat, I'd presume?
Old 12-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #56 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Shelters spay pregnant dogs and dogs in heat all the time, false pregnancy cannot be worse than that. I had a foster that was in heat when she arrived and it was not obvious. She attacked my male immediately, she was all over him like a monkey. I got bit in the shuffle too. I found out that she was in/out/going into heat from the vet who spayed her.
She loved my guy after she recovered. They can be pretty crazy when they are in heat.
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #57 (permalink)
Banned

I was going to say...well, we do, as well. Dropped off one of our Xolo fosters (we have two presently) and she was having a lot of discharge, enough for us to put a diaper on her, and they spayed her.
I think I'd risk it sooner than later, if it was me, considering everything else that's going on.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:05 PM   #58 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That would be my take on it. Having fights can poison the relationship on the long run. spaying her sooner rather than later would be the lesser evil IMO. The situations not exactly perfect.
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #59 (permalink)

You all make really good points. Our vet actually suggested that she get spayed sooner than later. Our previous vet suggested we wait until February. I was reading that spaying during heat/false pregnancy isn't ideal, but then again, the alternative of waiting until February isn't ideal either. So we are going to keep the appointment for the 17th. I've read that sometime spaying during a false pregnancy can prolong it, and I hope that doesn't happen here.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I hope y'all don't think I'm nuts.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #60 (permalink)
Banned

There's "what's ideal" and then, there's reality.
For us, in rescue, reality dictates we do what it takes to make the dog adoptable now.
(and stop the boys from clamoring to get her)

Your reality is, stop the fighting. Hopefully
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.