New Subj Line: CL puppy having puppies - help needed from experienced pup raisers - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #41 (permalink)
Elite Member

sorry eventually the 9 month old would have killed your current dog you can get a good natured male

Last edited by pets4life; 12-04-2012 at 12:44 PM.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #42 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Unless you keep them completely separated from each other, you run a huge risk of an accident between the dogs and possible you and /or other family members. Is it possible to board Heidi while you find a solution (shelter or a new home). Would there be anyone on this forum up to this task of giving Heidi what she needs?
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #43 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There is no judgement here. I live with this exact problem every day. We have to constantly be on our guard with Sierra and Jax. It is so stressful and has caused more than one argument between DH and I.

I was very much wanting to adopt an adult male. He was perfect for what I wanted to do except the issue of getting Sierra to accept an adult dog. A friend put it best when she said he'll get to be someone's baby now instead of my management headache...so rehome her so she can be someone's baby and not your management headache. The right dog will come along for your household.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #44 (permalink)
Banned

That is one reason we recommend the 'two week shut down', so dogs don't form unhealthy attachments to their people.
I have a foster Dachshund like that right now, and have in the past had other fosters who just glom onto the first person to pay attention to them.

It always leads to disaster (as you've seen), and we discourage that type bonding until later in the game, and recommend the same in their new homes. For an initial adjustment period, "over bonding" should be gently discouraged, or ignored completely.
When the dog settles in, then one can start building a relationship with the dog
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
That is one reason we recommend the 'two week shut down', so dogs don't form unhealthy attachments to their people.
I have a foster Dachshund like that right now, and have in the past had other fosters who just glom onto the first person to pay attention to them.

It always leads to disaster (as you've seen), and we discourage that type bonding until later in the game, and recommend the same in their new homes. For an initial adjustment period, "over bonding" should be gently discouraged, or ignored completely.
When the dog settles in, then one can start building a relationship with the dog
I was reading about the two-week shut down (after the dogs had their first fight), and I wish I would have found this site sooner. I wonder if it might have helped in this situation. Unfortunately it's too late, but I think that there are some good steps in that approach.
pinklady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #46 (permalink)
Banned

It makes me wonder, too, sometimes it's not going to help if other circumstances exist (female-female) but it never hurts to give it a go.

With our foster Doxie he wanted to be glued to my hip, but we discouraged and ignored that, and he's now able to enjoy being a part of our own dog pack, yet come over for hugs and to be held when we call him over.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #47 (permalink)

Wow, so we totally got hosed. My husband called the breeder listed on the papers that we got Heidi from. He wanted to see if the breeder had any rescues that might take Heidi. However, the breeder said the papers are completely fake, that he hasn't bred the one dog in TWO YEARS. He said we should call the police. Not sure what the police can do, but I do have the woman's info. Just unbelievable how sneaky and corrupt some people can be.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #48 (permalink)
Banned

The police aren't going to care...not that they are uncaring, but it's a civil matter.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #49 (permalink)

That's what I figured. I'm sure this happens often unfortunately. Boy did we learn our lesson.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post

I was very much wanting to adopt an adult male. He was perfect for what I wanted to do except the issue of getting Sierra to accept an adult dog. A friend put it best when she said he'll get to be someone's baby now instead of my management headache...so rehome her so she can be someone's baby and not your management headache. The right dog will come along for your household.
Exactly. And don't feel bad about learning this lesson the hard way... When we were trying to re-home Sasha, I called all the GSD rescues and "dog people" in our area and after explaining the situation I could almost feel them giving me the "how could you be so dumb" look over the phone . Then they proceeded to explain to me how prone GSD's are to same-sex aggression and we should have never brought her into our home in the first place. All I could do is take it and tell them we learned our lesson... I feel your pain and truly wish you and your family the best. It is not a fun situation to be in but you are being responsible and giving the new pup a chance to be the apple of someones eye instead of staying in a stress filled household (even though she's contributing) where she might be resented and constantly on edge. Please keep us updated on her journey. Oh, and as a side-note we had a lot of feedback from posting Sasha under the "non-urgent rescues" on this forum. Might be an idea for your girl and she'll be seen by a lot of GSD savvy owners?

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000
Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007
Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
sashadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.