New Subj Line: CL puppy having puppies - help needed from experienced pup raisers - Page 27 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #261 (permalink)

Yes, we are keeping one male puppy. It will be interesting to see how she is once they start leaving. She's been great when we've had people over. Although sometimes we do put her in her crate because she runs around after them sniffing them and discliping them and it gets too crazy. Once she's in her crate she is fine (probably because she can see us all). Hope to have a new home for her by next weekend, if not, we will probably bring her to the rescue on the 23rd. Going to be SOOOO sad to see her go

I'm also wondering if I should do any sort of sale/contract with the owners. Most of them are friends or family of our friends, so I think it might be a little weird to bring up. We will tell them if they decide not to keep a pup, we will want them back and will find a home rather than them going to a shelter. I don't anticipate that happening, however *cross fingers*
pinklady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #262 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They are friends. I would just tell them that you would feel absolutely awful if one of these guys landed in a shelter, and you know that they would never drop the dog in one, but if they do need to rehome it for any reason, to please call you.

You have to trust the person who walks out the door with your puppy. There is really NO contract that will prevent people from doing what they want. Even if the contract says they are not to rehome the puppy, they can just say it died if you call asking. Once they leave us, they are no longer ours. We can request that people call us, or let them know that we will take them back, and 99 times out of 100 they will because they really don't want the dog to go to a shelter, and it is easier to give them back to someone they think will love them than to find them a home themselves.

Sometimes people will do what they want to do regardless.

I would not make up a contract for friends. This is not your business or your hobby. If it were, then I would give a contract to friends as well as strangers, the same to both and treat them equally. A friend would respect that this is my business and would not expect me to treat them differently that I would another puppy owner with respect to the puppies. But you have had a litter of puppies and have raised them, and you care about them, but I think if you trust your friends, a conversation and knowing their character should be enough. If you do not trust them, do not let them have a puppy.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #263 (permalink)

Thanks again, selzer, that makes a lot of sense. I work for attorneys, and they have made me rather paranoid.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #264 (permalink)

If we find someone we trust to take Heidi, should we wait until the puppies start leaving or let them sooner if they can take her? She isn't nursing at all, she sometimes will lay with them for like 2-3 minutes but then leaves if they do try to nurse off of her. It's almost like she knows they will be leaving soon as she has gone by them more the past few days compared to the past few weeks. She's been a little restless around them.

Some of them will start going to their homes on Wednesday when they turn 8 weeks. Is it bad to say that I cannot wait, they are becoming a lot to handle and keep clean. Plus I feel like we can't give them as much attention as they need because we do work full time and while we spend time with them, I think going to new homes they will get more of the one-on-one attention they need. But a part of me will miss them. If you would have told me a year ago that we would have raised a litter of puppies, I would have said no way. My son has loved the whole experience and wants to do it again. I feel the opposite of course
Old 02-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #265 (permalink)

I wouldn't worry about placing her before the puppies if you find a good home. )

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #266 (permalink)

Just said goodbye to Heidi. One of the hardest things I've ever done. She's going to a good home but it still sucks. My son and I cried.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #267 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You did the right thing for everyone involved, including Heidi, and your son. My bitches tend to be a lot more hands on with their puppies. At eight weeks they spend a lot of time with them and play with them. But they are just different. If she spent so little time with them, then it was probably just as well to let her go to her new home sooner.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Old 02-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #268 (permalink)

Puppies have all gone to their new homes and apparently are doing well! So relieved and happy the whole thing is over. Been an experience, that's for sure. Thank you to everyone for your advice and support. Couldn't have gotten through all of this without all of you!!!!!
Old 02-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #269 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm glad it's going well . I'm sure regular updates from their new homes will help you with peace of mind

You're going to need to start a new thread about the fuzz monster you kept, including updated photos

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #270 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Pinklady, you deserve a medal of honor for all you went through. And not the least of which being not keeping more than one. I mean, at six, seven, and eight weeks they play together and are so fun, it seems such an ideal situation. I am glad that you are keeping just the one, and your lives can get back to however normal life can be with a puppy.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.