New Subj Line: CL puppy having puppies - help needed from experienced pup raisers - Page 25 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #241 (permalink)

She is actually on the prescription diet we got from the vet due to her bouts of diarrhea. Her stools still aren't firm, but they aren't liquid-y anymore. When we first got her she was potty trained, or seemed to be. Once she got closer to having the puppies she had a lot of accidents. Just within the past couple days we've been finding spots she's had if we don't let her out every hour or so. She used to be able to hold it much longer. We have an x-pen that we will try to limit her access, although she has access only to the 1st level which is hardwood. Now we are just going to get rid of all the rugs for now. She's sleeping on the couch which I can't stop obviously while I'm not home. I'm hoping to get new ones in a couple months anyway.

I will monitor the pups more closely while they eat. The pups are on the Nutro, my husband is getting either Blue Buffalo or Wilderness on the way home and I will start mixing for them tonight. But they all appear to be eating good and devour the food quickly. And all have consistently gained weight (although we didn't weigh last night). The runt is finally close to 5 pounds and the big guy is close to 8.
pinklady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #242 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When they are pregnant, they feel full all the time, and I think the have to urinate more frequently. Every hour though is a little too frequent. I wonder if she has a bladder infection. It is possible. But be careful if you have to give her antibiotics. I think amoxicillin and carprofin is ok for pregnant or lactating females, but I can't be 100% sure. If you take her in, just make sure you mention that she has puppies and they are still eating some from her.

BB and Wilderness are a higher quality food. I prefer to wean pups on a food that is easy for the buyers to get, but still has good ingredients. The higher quality foods have more calories so you feed even less of them. Usually the bag over-estimates how much you should feed, so you have to be careful. Again, loose stool can be a symptom of over-eating.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 01:30 AM   #243 (permalink)

Thanks, seltzer, took her to vet and she has a uti so she is on antibiotics. She isn't nursing them at all anymore. They also gave us some medicine to out on her food and prescription diet to see if we can get rid of her diarrhea. He also said to not let her eat their stools anymore either. So far she is a little better, her accidents are almost nonexistent, though she is still going quite a bit. I have also stopped giving them as much food because I think I was feeding them too much, we will see if that gets better with them. I'm slowly weaning them off the nutro to wilderness. At the vet's suggestion I put a small bowl of dry food in with them which they all ate, which surprised me that they were able to handle.

I have two questions regarding the puppies. First, Is their biting everything, especially us, normal? They are just crazy and well, crazy. It is just utter chaos when they are running around.

Second, there is one male puppy that is very dominant and sassy and brave, he's usually the troublemaker. Whenever Heidi is out with them, she is constantly focusing on him, mouthing and knawing(sp?) on him. Is she trying to get him to submit to her? He snaps and growls back at her and really is the only one to do so. She will then seem to get rough with him and chases him down when he tries to get away from her. This far, we haven't intervened until tonight when it looked like she was going to hurt him. Should we not have done that, just not sure what is the right way to handle it.

Last edited by pinklady; 01-27-2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #244 (permalink)
Master Member

Although i am not experienced enough with this phase of puppy hood, it sounds like she was just trying to correct him, he wasn't listening so she went for a harsher correction.
puppies will yelp when being corrected by their moms especially if they'r a bit bratty.
I'm sure more experienced ppl will comment on that and I might be wrong, but i don't think she will hurt the pup.

Tamtam - Egyptian Mau
Dante (Dumpty) ze Stribrneho kamene (9-9-2011)
Juventus - GSD (RIP)
Animal Aid Egypt
nitemares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #245 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklady View Post

I have two questions regarding the puppies. First, Is their biting everything, especially us, normal? They are just crazy and well, crazy. It is just utter chaos when they are running around.
Yes. Totally normal. Can you believe some people actually WANT a litter of puppies?

Quote:
Second, there is one male puppy that is very dominant and sassy and brave, he's usually the troublemaker. Whenever Heidi is out with them, she is constantly focusing on him, mouthing and knawing(sp?) on him. Is she trying to get him to submit to her? He snaps and growls back at her and really is the only one to do so. She will then seem to get rough with him and chases him down when he tries to get away from her. This far, we haven't intervened until tonight when it looked like she was going to hurt him. Should we not have done that, just not sure what is the right way to handle it.
It sounds like she's "correcting" him and trying to remind him of his place, which is a good thing, as long as she doesn't terrorize him, which I doubt she would. Since this particular pup is extra bratty, he probably needs it--I'm not experienced raising litters, but my gut feeling is that I wouldn't interfere with a mother's discipline.

But you are going to have to be very careful when you place this puppy, as he will no doubt be a strong-willed, dominant type dog and he will need an equally strong-willed, dominant owner! I wouldn't adopt him out to a family with very young children, or to someone who seems weak or meek, or to anyone without a fair amount of dog-savvy. Is the rescue helping place these pups? Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #246 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes. Totally normal. Can you believe some people actually WANT a litter of puppies?
They are braver and have much more patience than I do. I feel like my life is on hold until the pups are 8 weeks old. Just 2 more weeks!!!! I'm so looking forward to when they can go to their new homes. I mean, they're cute as heck and it's sweet when they come to play with me or lay on top of me. But yep, I'm done with pups for a while. As my son said, he will be both sad and happy when they leave.

Any tips on how I should introduce Sasha to the pup we are keeping? Should we do it on neutral territory?? Man, having puppies in the winter sucks. I wish we could bring them outside but right now it's muddy and rainy. Although I don't plan on doing it until we bring Heidi to the rescue, which I'm still dreading too. Just want to start off on the right foot with introductions, etc. this time....

Edited to add a picture showing how they usually greet us when we get home. Actually hubby just put up a bigger board than the one they're leaning on because one of them kept getting out. Boy, they need their nails trimmed after looking at that closer....
Attached Thumbnails
New Subj Line: CL puppy having puppies - help needed from experienced pup raisers-1-25-13.jpg  

Last edited by pinklady; 01-28-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: add recent picture
Old 01-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #247 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They are soooo cute!
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #248 (permalink)

I just got a call from a very nice lady who is retired and looking for a companion for her other dog who is a 9 year old female rott. She says the rott is very good with other dogs, has had training, and is walked everyday. She said she is very submissive and is afraid of one of their cats. She is interested in a puppy and originally wanted a boy because she thinks they potty train faster (huh??). She would like to introduce the puppy and her dog and see how they get along, but how do I do that exactly? I can't bring her into our house, Heidi would flip. Meet outside maybe or something? Or is it an adoption you wouldn't do?? She's the last one left, all the others have gone to friends of friends so I want to make sure this one goes to a good home. Out of all the people I've talked to thus far, she seemed the most legit and she answered all my questions, etc..... I just put a short ad in the local paper as I seem to have run out of prospects for the remaining puppy and she has been one of many who responded. And she came across as actually normal.

There are so messed up people out there, I had one woman tell me that her dog died last year from the heat and that she also probably neglected him a bit because her husband was sick. But he passed away and now she misses having a dog. I will not be calling her back.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #249 (permalink)

Can you crate up Heidi and keep your other dog in your house, have her come to your house, and try an introduction outside? I would try that first,,or ask to meet her on neutral ground ? IF that goes good, maybe take the puppy to 'her' house??

Sounds good, but I agree, I'd tell her Heidi would flip out and intro's would have to be done outside or at her house/property..

Yes there are alot of weirdo's out there, but when you get calls, let them 'flap away', the iffy ones usually mess up by saying something stupid

Good luck !

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #250 (permalink)
Banned

This is an infant puppy. I'd hold the puppy and let the other dog sniff it, but if she's that worried her dog will attack a puppy, there's something wrong.

Typically adult dogs do not attack puppies, and I always wonder why people think they would??

I could see if the dog was over 4mo. (they've lost their puppy license by then) but a PUPPY?
It's not like you're going to go for a walk around the block with this puppy in tow.

I tend to decline apps like this, myself.

OH - just noticed it's a girl puppy. NIX that. You've seen how females get along with other females!
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.