New Subj Line: CL puppy having puppies - help needed from experienced pup raisers - Page 23 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #221 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The rescue is offering to take the two she has remaining.

Friends and family are often a whole lot better than applications and screening processes.

I think you are doing an awesome job, and I so understand wanting to be able to have some of them close enough to keep tabs on them and watch them grow up.

They are cute, no idea what is in there.

I am glad that you found a rescue that seems to be perfect for the young mother and the remaining pups.

I think you are amazing, how you have handled this whole situation, and making the tough decisions that you are making. This girl will have a good life. And her puppies will too. Thank you for caring for these little ones.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #222 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
T

T
I think you are amazing, how you have handled this whole situation, and making the tough decisions that you are making. This girl will have a good life. And her puppies will too. Thank you for caring for these little ones.
Could not agree more. You have done a wonderful job , a job you did not ask for and so many forum members have helped. This is what I love most about this forum; When everyone puts the dog(s) first.

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1007494

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/610245.html
Debbieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #223 (permalink)

Thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate it. You know what's kinda funny is when I think about keeping a puppy and raising it, freaks me out a little bit. Even though right now I'm having to take care of 7. I think I'm losing it.

Had some more people tonight and the brindle girl won someone over so they are going to let me know. It's funny how they come out for different people. So far the pink girl who is usually the bravest has held back when people have been here and tries to hide behind me. Hope she's just waiting for the 'perfect match'.

Had two pups out today with my son and Heidi was not in her cage. Twice she looked like she was trying to bite them, possibly to pick them up?? So when she did it twice, we put pups back with the others.

They are gaining more too since eating the food, the big guy is almost 7 pounds.

Again, thanks for all of your help,advice and listening!!!!'
pinklady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #224 (permalink)
Master Member

just remember,sometimes people say they want a pup, and when it comes down to time to get it they back oiut of the deal.... so you might not be able to adopt out all the pups when the time comes, or after a few weeks the new owner might return the pup to you due to "too much work raising a pup: (sometimes the worst new adopters are family and friends depending on who they are).... keeep smiling you are doing great so far though, it takes alot to do this, and you are definitely a trooper !!
Honey
http://wallacethepitbull.blip.tv/file/147911/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdlh8_p8xQ
mebully21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #225 (permalink)
Elite Member

Girl, you sure have my respect..AWESOME job of handling a very tough situation..KUDOS..
Old 01-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #226 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't know, if her family and friends have a similar character to the OP, then I think they will do fine with a puppy. And I think we should give the OP credit that she would offer the pups to only those family members and friends that she thinks will provide a decent home.

A good rescue will have rules and experience in placing puppies and they will be able to screen applicants, raw applicants -- those that the OP does not know at all, possibly better than the OP due to this experience, knowing what questions to ask, and what answers throw up red flags. But all of that does not come close to knowing someone personally.

I will say this, my brother has been able to adopt again and and again, and personally, I wouldn't sell him a puppy. Having a rescue place the puppies is definitely better than first come first serve, but I do not know that it is better than putting puppies into the hands of people you know personally.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #227 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree with Sue. The OP has a good head on her shoulders. I'm sure she knows who she would and would not trust with a puppy. I love my friends and family, but there are some I would NEVER give a dog. (Like my cousin who couldn't handle, the cat, rabbit, turtle or hermit crab.) It scares me when she even "thinks" about getting a dog. (The rabbit lives with me.) LOL!

So yeah - if Pinklady knows her friends and family like I know mine.....she isn't going to have a problem.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #228 (permalink)

I am going to advertise for the last two left and go with my gut instinct about any people who respond. I usually have a good feel for people although I totally got screwed when it came to Heidi. I've even thought about keeping 2 littermates, but was reading online that's not always a good idea. Which is a shame because I love both of the girls left, especially the brindle one. The pink girl seems to be a fan of me too and follows me when she can. I keep telling my husband that she's chosen me and wants to stay with us. LOL. We've been letting them out of the pen more too, it's crazy when they are out. Heidi has been playing with them, also putting the green one in his place when he growls at her. First I thought she was trying to eat them, then I realized she was playing with them.

How often should I be feeding them? I've been doing it every 4-5 hours. Usually they sleep through the night, but last night they weren't hungry around 11 pm (my fault, the earlier feeding was late because we were out), so at 4:30 they were all up making SO much noise that I fed them. Not much sleep today as a result.

Someone did come on Saturday and loved one of the girls but then later backed out (she's a neighbor of an old co-worker). Then she texted me and said she decided to wait and see if they all go and if they do not, then she will take whoever is left. Which I think sounds kinda weird, so I'm not sure I will be texting her back. If she doesn't want to pay for a small homing fee, then why should I believe she will want to take care of the puppy? If anything, we will bring the pups to the rescue with Heidi if I can't find homes for them. And the rescue has a 'sterilization clause' that the adoptee has to give them $100 and will get back once they come back to show they have spayed the puppies. So that provides some comfort.

Finally, they will be 5 weeks tomorrow. Should I have their first vaccinations at 6 weeks? Then should I do them again at 8 weeks or have the new owners do it since they will be taking them at 8 weeks? My vet says he doesn't do a blanket de-worming. Is that normal or do most breeders just do the de-worming to be cautious? Everywhere I've read says that it's safe to assume the puppies have worms? They can lay dormant??

Already had someone contact me about shipping a puppy to her for her 'granddaughter' and her sending me a check of some sort. Seriously, are there people out there who just scam people for a living? Told her I'm not interested and to look elsewhere.

Here's a picture of the pups resting after they ran around for a bit. Being a puppy is hard!
Attached Thumbnails
New Subj Line: CL puppy having puppies - help needed from experienced pup raisers-1-20-2013.jpg  

Last edited by pinklady; 01-22-2013 at 04:26 PM.
pinklady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #229 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Be sure to make up a contract for each puppy that sets guidelines for health care, living conditions (keeping the dog inside, for example) and requires them to give the puppy back to you if they cannot keep her/him for any reason. Personally, if it were me I would check vet references and at the very least meet everyone personally. I would not go with my gut level instinct because people can be very skilled liars, especially when it comes to free puppies.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #230 (permalink)
Banned

I thought the rescue was taking the last 2??
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.