New Subj Line: CL puppy having puppies - help needed from experienced pup raisers - Page 20 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #191 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
He even said, mom, let's get another pregnant dog. I was like, NO, NEVER AGAIN. He thinks this is all fun and he can't wait til they are running around. And I said, yes, until they chew one of your shoes or something. Ha.
Wait until he has to start cleaning up puppy poop and pee! THEN he won't be so thrilled about it.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #192 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Roundworms are actually pretty cool, you can kill them off, and all the signs will go away, but they lay dormant in the muscle and when a bitch becomes pregnant they activate. Most puppies will get round worms from their dam, and we worm dam and pups without a fecal, just as a matter of course.

Hooks do not shed eggs all the time, so the pups and the bitch can have hooks and you might not know it. Hooks are scary because they attach in the intestine and cause bleeding. In young puppies that can be bad. Round worms can be bad too because they can cross over to humans, and kids with rounworms can actually go blind. So, it is nothing to fool with, as I am sure you know. I am surprised that your vet will not worm a litter without a fecal. In my opinion, that is asking for money. All puppies should be wormed.

There is another micro-organism that you might want to consider looking for if the pups develop a loose stool, and that is coccidia. Albon takes care of it, but if puppies develop diarrhea it can be very dangerous as they dehydrate quickly.

Again, I think you are doing great. Now is the point where you almost have to clean that box at least twice a day and I layer papers so I can snag them out when I see messes. As soon as the pups start eating solid food, the dam may or may not clean up after them as much. Puppies are filthy things really. They will roll in poo when they are playing, walk in it, and then walk in their food or water dishes. They love to tumble in their water dish.

I had some hag give me the up-turned nose because my play yard outside had bottles hanging instead of bowls down. Well, bowls tip, get walked through, etc. The bottles at least ensure clean water for the puppies. But whatever. Again, being able to move the pups from one area to another, clean and disinfect the other area completely and then move them back makes things somewhat easier.

There is really no help for it. Puppies will need baths at some point. As I said, there is just no way to completely eliminate the chance of them rolling in gross yuck. When they are really little, I use the kitchen sink, easier on my back, and if you have one of those little sprayers, it makes it easier to rinse them thoroughly. Then wrap them up in a towel and dry them good. It is at this point I get out the clippers and clip their toenails. Be sure you have stypic powder on hand, as if you nick a quick you will want to stop it from bleeding. Flour works, but not as well. Try not to make a big deal about it if you do nick one. Do everything matter of factly.

Also, I always worm the dam when I worm the pups. She is cleaning up after them, and well, she reinfects herself, so I just go ahead and do it. Strongid or Nemax is safe.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #193 (permalink)

Hi everyone, Heidi doesn't appear to be feeding the puppies much, it also all. Last night we gave the puppies some food (canned food and dry food mushed together). They basically attacked it, they were like savages. Is there anything else I should given them? How often do I feed them this? And is there anyway to encourage Heidi to feed them ?
pinklady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #194 (permalink)
Banned

How old are they? IME, they will start weaning at 4 weeks often - some moms go longer but the puppies get teeth and claws hurt when they are feeding.
Once you start feeding dog food, mom will stop cleaning them, as well.

Quote:
There is really no help for it. Puppies will need baths at some point. As I said, there is just no way to completely eliminate the chance of them rolling in gross yuck. When they are really little, I use the kitchen sink, easier on my back, and if you have one of those little sprayers, it makes it easier to rinse them thoroughly. Then wrap them up in a towel and dry them good. It is at this point I get out the clippers and clip their toenails. Be sure you have stypic powder on hand, as if you nick a quick you will want to stop it from bleeding. Flour works, but not as well. Try not to make a big deal about it if you do nick one. Do everything matter of factly.

BTW, when clipping puppy nails, God conveniently made a "band" to show you where to do it - it's a band of white and you should not clip higher than that on the toenail

I use HUMAN fingernail clippers to do this as it's exacting work.

Clip the nails and mama may not mind feeding them as much.
Also - it's critical to keep and eye on mama's breasts as this is a high risk period for mastitis as her milk transitions into less and less milk.
Well, any time they nurse, it is, especially when puppies claw and gnaw up the breasts so badly.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #195 (permalink)

They were 3 weeks old on Wednesday. The mother clearly has milk she just isn't feeding them. Do not any of you have a milk replacement formula that you use or make yourself
Old 01-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #196 (permalink)
Banned

I use "just born", and get it from Valley Vet supply. At 3 weeks they start imitating mom and watch her eat so try to do it too. On bottle-fed puppies, we wean to solids at 3-4- weeks but make mush (blender) and put that in their bottles with a cross cut nipple so they can eat more easily.

She may just be ready to quit.
What you could do now is use softened Puppy kibble, but not Purina. I like Wellness, Kirkland Signature, or Blue Buffalo for puppies, we soften the kibble - canned can give them the runs.
You could mix in Yogurt (plain, regular fat, not low fat) or buy goat's milk to add to it when soaking it.

Last edited by msvette2u; 01-12-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #197 (permalink)

I bought Nutro last night at Petsmart. How often do I feed them? Their teeth are sharp, they were biting us last night. She will sometimes stand over them, but not for very long, maybe less than a minute.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #198 (permalink)
Banned

Well, nutro wouldn't be my 1st choice, but if that's all you could find, I guess, go for it.

If she's not nursing at all, 3x a day. If she is nursing some, 2x a day for now would be adequate I'm sure.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #199 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I take the kibble and use the hottest water I can and saturate the kibble, then I shake the bowl and let it soak until it is luke warm. Then I put it in with the puppies AND the dam. They will go after the food and often the pups will nurse some while the dam finishes up the food.

She will naturally wean them, standing up and they suck and then she will want to get out of there. Usually mine allow nursing for quite a while though. Keeping the little nails trimmed does make a difference.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 12:44 AM   #200 (permalink)

She's been feeding them on/off today, usually standing up. We did clip their nails which may have helped. They're teeth are so sharp so I'm sure that doesn't help. So far they are doing ok on the puppy food too. Vet checked pups for parasites but sample was negative. We moved the pen into the house, thought it might help her being closer to us. She is still obsessed with being near my husband too. Thanks everyone, I'm sure I will have more questions, I really appreciate your advice and time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.