New Subj Line: CL puppy having puppies - help needed from experienced pup raisers - Page 19 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #181 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
Thanks, did the breeder allow you to hold them? Or just watch them?

I've been having my kids wash or sanitize their hands after they pet or touch them. My son was freaked and called me asking if he's going to have worms cuz he ate a donut after petting one of them on the head. So now he's super careful.
Hold, snuggle, kiss, whatever I wanted . I adore puppy breath She had two young daughters who handled them often as well so Delgado is very used to being around young kids which is great

Tell your son he's doing a important job of teaching the puppies that kids are ok, or at least a good source of dropped food when they're older

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #182 (permalink)

Another question (sorry, I know I'm getting annoying). Do I have to worry about my cats getting worms or anything else from the puppies?
pinklady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #183 (permalink)

I don't think so, unless they eat dog poop and the dog has worms..Maybe by licking them?? Not sure on that

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #184 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would go ahead and worm them, your vet can give you the right stuff. I use strongid-T, but others use Nemax.

After a day or so (after the worming), I would let people come in and see the puppy. Be careful. You can trust your kids because you know how far to trust them. Never trust other people's kids. Tell them to pet the puppy. Don't let them pick up the puppy. If necessary have them sit down and pet the puppy, and hold it.

As bad as this sounds, I had a professional dog handler come over and check out the puppies a number of times. He did buy one, but to make his final decision, he brought a grooming table and set each pup on the grooming table. He dropped one off of the grooming table. I was horrified. But we were outside and the ground was ok, no damage. The pups were seven weeks, not three weeks.

Still, children are just plain unpredictable. They may jump up and run, they may step on a puppy or they may drop a puppy. They may hit a puppy if the puppy nibbles on them. Watch how the parents interact with the kid. If they can't manage their kids, then don't sell them a puppy. If they freak out about you telling them (the kid(s)) how or what to do with the puppy, don't sell or give them a puppy.

You should handle the puppies every day now. Look at their teeth and ears and handle their paws. If you haven't already, cut those miniscule toenails -- just the hooks, it will be easier on the dam.

Also, I like to have two places for them, so I can clean one and replensish newspapers while they are playing in the other. They will be discovering others, and they will enjoy safe toys, latex toys that squeek, rubber toys, puppy nylabone shapes, mine like the key ring. Stuffed toys and plastic crackly bottles I use but only when I am supervising.

Good luck and enjoy, this is a tough stage because of all the cleaning, but it is also fun because the little personalities really start coming out.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #185 (permalink)
Elite Member

This is one amazing thread!!! I have read it from beginning to end and have to say I lmao when pink posted we have a puppy..Please forgive me Pink, it was just such a darn surprise! You are doing a great job and this group on this forum have been such a source of info for you...Please keep updating as you make your decisions about the puppy and about Heidi...You are one strong woman..I would have been wacked out crazy by now!!! AMAZING STORY!!!!! You can't make this stuff up!!
Old 01-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #186 (permalink)
Elite Member

Your doing an amazing job!!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #187 (permalink)

Jang, tell me about it, I laugh now when I tell the story, but took me a while to get to that point. Been a whirlwind couple of weeks.

selzer, thank you (been thinking about you, hope you are doing okay). I spoke with my vet who said that they will test for worms when we bring in for their first vaccinations because they generally do not do a blanket worming unless the test is positive (or if the mom had worms which Heidi did not).

Unfortunately Heidi is still having diarrhea (doc tested blood and stool and no parasites, etc. but there is no explanation for why) which is why we moved them to the heated garage so there would be no accidents while we are at work. Any ideas what we could give her to help with it? We have been giving her chicken and rice with her dog food and today just gave her the chicken and rice in case it was the dog food..? She also has been eating her poop too when she can (as well as the pups which I guess is normal?) You can tell she isn't happy being in the garage but we don't know what else to do. We had her in the house last night and she had another accident. Our carpet has been steam cleaned daily for the past 3 weeks it seems. She acts fine otherwise. We haven't given her dairy because we were worried it would only make the diarrhea worse.

Meanwhile, the pups have been so much fun to watch the past couple days, biting and playing and growling with each other. We are no longer using the baby pool because two were able to jump out, and I don't think we'll be able to use the box my husband built for much longer since it's not much taller. He's going to work on making the walls higher. I would like to bring them in the house so they get used to the sounds, I guess I could just use an xpen for that? Is it okay to bring them in the house and then back to the garage when we're not home? Not sure if it's okay to bring them back/forth

Some pups have taken to the newspaper/bathroom area, while others we've placed there when we've caught them starting to go elsewhere. We've quickly learned as soon as they get up from naps it's potty time. Is there anything we can do with their smell? We clean up their area but they still somehow manage to get stinky....although I'm sure there isn't because they're too young for baths.

Anyway, thanks everyone for all your help, suggestions and encouragement. The past 3 weeks seem to have flown by but also dragged. I feel like my life is on hold until they are 8 weeks old! Only 5 more weeks to go....

Here are some pictures of the pups faces we took last night. I love their faces. I'm starting to wonder if they look like mastiffs???
Attached Thumbnails
New Subj Line: CL puppy having puppies - help needed from experienced pup raisers-2013-01-09_18-59-21_198.jpg   New Subj Line: CL puppy having puppies - help needed from experienced pup raisers-2013-01-09_18-49-51_754.jpg   New Subj Line: CL puppy having puppies - help needed from experienced pup raisers-2013-01-09_18-55-58_453.jpg   New Subj Line: CL puppy having puppies - help needed from experienced pup raisers-2013-01-09_18-56-49_531.jpg   New Subj Line: CL puppy having puppies - help needed from experienced pup raisers-2013-01-09_18-58-29_31.jpg  

New Subj Line: CL puppy having puppies - help needed from experienced pup raisers-2013-01-09_18-59-24_861.jpg  
pinklady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #188 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
We clean up their area but they still somehow manage to get stinky....although I'm sure there isn't because they're too young for baths.
As long as you keep them warm after the bath it's okay to bathe. When we handraise a litter they get baths almost daily. You may need to look at them and bathe, especially if they have urine or feces stuck to them, as both can create a rash.

They look Boxer mix to me
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #189 (permalink)

I generally just use a damp towel to clean puppies - unless they've REALLY gotten stinky or dirty.

Try giving the mom some PLAIN canned pumpkin. That should help firm up her stools.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #190 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I see a brindle in there! YOu could have anything from a greyhound, boxer, pit, mastiff mix. lol

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.