New Subj Line: CL puppy having puppies - help needed from experienced pup raisers - Page 11 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #101 (permalink)

your doing a fantastic job. hang in there..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #102 (permalink)
Elite Member

OMG ... I haven't been on this thread for a bit ... and WOW ... what an update and a half!!!

Congratulations on your puppies LOL ... I can just imagine how freaking shocked you were to see a puppy! OH BOY!!!!

Thank god for the internet ... what wonderful guidance you have received on here ... it's so nice to know there's a wonderful place to go when you really need help!!!

Hopefully 7 is it, but I guess at this point, another one or two won't really make a difference LOL

Keep up the great work, and have lots of fun with puppies ... OMG ... you are going to have puppy breath ... I'm so jealous!!!
Old 12-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #103 (permalink)
Crowned Member

7! Wow. You are doing great. What a surprise!

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #104 (permalink)

My poor husband is so tired. I was worried I'd wake up to 10, but there are still 7. They are adorable. All appear to be healthy *knock on wood*. We have a few friends/family who have said they want one. Plus we are thinking of keeping one if there is a boy. We are crazy. But first have to get thru the next 8 weeks. At what point should we start holding them to properly socialize them? I can't wait to see how the vet visit goes.
pinklady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #105 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Wow. Now I can say it - this is why shelters/rescues should spay/neuter every dog before they leave - I cannot imagine having this happen. And with these puppies --- you will need to be sure that they are also spayed/neutered. Poor puppy girl having puppies - so unfair to her.

I think you should start a new thread in the breeder section about new unexpected litter with questions like that, about taking them or mom to the vet (?), etc.

Unreal. Please take care.
JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #106 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The dog wasn't from a shelter....she got her on CL.

I agree with Jean, please start another thread or maybe Jean can copy/paste the last page to that forum for advice on the puppy raising now that the whelping is over.

Wishing you luck pinklady! The holidays are going to be very different for you now!
Old 12-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #107 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Ah! I get confused with the terms! Thanks, Jane.

Yes - I can move it over - this is just ridiculous - that poor puppy!

ETA - all moved over.

In sum - 9 month old female from Craigslist - suspected to be in heat, attacking the resident female, then suspected to be having a false pregnancy but wow, it was real and now there are 7 puppies with this first time dog litter human family (and still the resident female who should be kept away).

JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #108 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What I do with puppies is, I put a little piece of rick rack around their neck. Yarn gets too stringy. The rick rack works pretty good, and that way I can tell them apart and keep track of their weights. I use a notebook and write it all down.

Again, if the puppies are gaining weight, the dam is doing good.

So each day, twice a day, I will pick up each pup, look at the umbilical area, and check under the tail -- I just want to make sure Mom is doing a good job of keeping them clean. Then I weigh the puppy and check the rick rack to make sure it is not too tight, or too loose. I like to be able to get a finger under neath it. Then I give it a pet and play with the paws, and set it down next to the
mother.

I pick them up and put them in a box when I go to clean their area.

And watching puppies is almost hypnotic or addictive. Sometimes it just cannot be helped, and one must pick one up and rub it up under one's chin and let it lie on one's chest, warm, and breathing softly.

For the first week or two, this is plenty. It is good your husband is a dog person because that will be helpful too, to have people of both sexes handling them.

As for the kids. The dam is young and you have not had her long, so be cautious with them. I would it your child on the floor outside of the puppy area, and hand him a 2.5 - 3 week old puppy. Let him pet it gently. Then you pick it up and put it back in the box.

I may have photos:

When puppies and children are a little bigger, they can take more:

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #109 (permalink)
Elite Member

WOW. what a thread to read. Nothing to add, but she is a beautiful girl. I can't imagine if this were to happen at my house. I would've lost it by now. :O I admire your calm, collected, and positive outlook to everything that has happened. Good luck!
Old 12-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #110 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wow, what an update! No wonder this bitch was acting so crazy! I don't have anything to add as far as puppy raising, except that you might want to contact a rescue close to you in order to help place the pups when the time comes.

I know it will be terribly tempting to keep one of the puppies. Don't do it. Love them all like your own until they are old enough to go to new homes, but always keep in mind that they are NOT yours. You will become very attached to them and you will cry when they leave. But you already have a full plate with two bitches that don't like each other, although that may improve when all the hormones settle down, having a puppy on top of it all will make life extremely challenging to say the least!
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.