New Subj Line: CL puppy having puppies - help needed from experienced pup raisers - Page 10 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 12:09 AM   #91 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you have to buy an x-pen go with a 30 inch height. 2' will keep them in for a few weeks. 30" a little longer, and you can still step over it to clean, etc.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 12:16 AM   #92 (permalink)

Hubby thought there was a 6th one coming out, but false alarm. For now. They seem to be coming out faster. He's going to be the one watching them tonight. He's is her favorite person so I guess it's only fitting.

I will see if anyone I know has a kiddie pool. Also thanks re the idea of the x-pen.

This has slightly amended the xmas shopping I had planned the next couple days.
pinklady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #93 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Congratulations! Besides the initial shock, you are in for a lot of sweet fun as well and your children will learn a great deal.
She looks very content in the picture. Good job!
I once fostered a litter from a one year old dog for the shelter. She had ten pups. They all made it and she was a great mom. It was one of the highlights of my life. It is a lot of work but also very rewarding. Good luck and Merry Christmas.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:29 AM   #94 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am glad you have your vet on call.

If she seems to labor or strain for more than an hour -- two tops, it is an emergency. She can get a stuck puppy or inertia, where she just gets too tired.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
Old 12-20-2012, 12:33 AM   #95 (permalink)

6th one is now here.

Will we know if she is in distress? So far she's doing okay. I keep telling her she's doing good. She does look tired. 5 hours in labor so far.

I'm reading online about caring for puppies, it all seems so overwhelming.......
Old 12-20-2012, 12:37 AM   #96 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Christmas came early!!!

Puppies are a lot of fun, a lot of mess, a lot of work, but a lot of fun. There is something about holding a precious, helpless, little life. And when their eyes open, and when they walk and then run. It is an experience.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
Old 12-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #97 (permalink)
Crowned Member

6 puppies in five hours is really good.

If she is turning around, and digging at the papers, and straining, and no puppy, then she may be in distress. If she seems to give up, she can be in distress. Though I wouldn't worry about that until a couple of hours pass between puppies.

Six is a nice sized litter. She can have more. So you have to kind of pay attention. If there is a gush of water, and she strains and does not produce a puppy, there are a few things you can do: Put a leash on her and take her out to potty, sometimes walking a little will get things going again. Canned evaporated milk -- mix with two cans of water, or vanilla ice cream can get things going again.

If you are in doubt, call your vet.

For the first couple of weeks, the dam will do all the puppy-rearing. It is good for you to get in there and weigh them twice a day. But the major socialization period starts about 3 weeks of age. Your family and kids will be great at that point. Don't take the puppies anywhere, save the vet around 6-7 weeks.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
Old 12-20-2012, 01:08 AM   #98 (permalink)

Selzer and everyone, thank you very much, I've been reading your posts to my husband. She is resting now, we tried taking her out with a leash but she didn't do anything. Right now she seems to be sleeping. I am so impressed with her. There is one teeny little guy, he's all black. I can't get over how loud they are at times.

I'm so glad we will be home the next couple of weeks. I'm going to order the x-pen. What do we do when we both go to work though (January 7th)? Keep them in there? Heidi usually goes in a cage when we're gone but obviously can't do that with a puppy. That's what I'm worried about. Don't want them to get hurt and be unsafe, etc. I know, I'm probably jumping the gun but want to prepare myself. One of us will be home until then, so I'm thankful for that.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:14 AM   #99 (permalink)
Crowned Member

For now, they need to be kept in a warm place that is not too chaotic, but it is best if it is within the house somewhere. If you can puppy proof a utility room, then when the pups start walking, you can move them there, inside the x-pen -- when you go to work. That way if she jumps out, she is still is a puppy proof area. The best bet would be a baby gate on that room so it can remain open.

They are loud, whelps? Are they nursing? Usually when they squeal the mother will stimulate them to potty and clean that up and nudge them to a teet and get them nursing. She will keep them warm.

Healthy puppies make noise, but it should not sound distressed.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
Old 12-20-2012, 02:35 AM   #100 (permalink)

So far so good, she just ate a little bit and had some water. She just had #7. I can't help but wonder if this is her first litter. Regardless, it will certainly be her last.

We usually turn heat down at night but are keeping it up tonight for the pups.

They don't seem to be in distress, they yelp and then she either starts licking them or adjusts them. It's all amazing to watch, I could do this all night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.