Procedures for Out of Town Puppy Buyers - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Procedures for Out of Town Puppy Buyers

Hello All,
I am in process of advertising/selling my current litter and I have created a website for myself recently, so selling to out of town or state buyers is pretty new to me. I have sold out of state but dealt with people I knew or who came to me, or who had a friend who was local come by and take care of the details, etc etc.
I was wondering how you all deal with out of towners. I received an email the other day from someone out of state wanting to buy a pup but the email seemed a tiny bit suspicious to me and it made me nervous that maybe it is a scammer of some kind. How do you tell if the person is legitimate? What information is safe to give out? How best to deal with payment?
Any advice from all of you "seasoned" breeders out there would be greatly appreciated. I have a call into my mentor, but I think he may be out of town because I hadn't heard back yet.
Thanks for sharing your expertise, experience, etc.
Cunningham GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not a breeder but do want to say, definitely watch out for scams, there tends to be alot of email "I wanna buy a puppy" scams,

You can always require a 'deposit', some type of contract, regarding return or non return of deposit.

Frankly, I think selling puppies especially since your new to this, to people who can't come meet you/dogs in person, unless you know them, get references, (espec VET references), etc, it can be a crapshoot. People lie, people will say anything sometimes to get a puppy

I'd try to advertise locally, get references, ESPEC vet, and call them !! ask what happened to their past pets, just letting people "ramble" you can sometimes get a feel for them

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

We have an extensive questionnaire that potential buyers fill out, which we then follow up with a pretty lengthy interview on the phone. We then ask for dog related references (trainers, vets, etc...) and check those. It's not 100% foolproof as sometimes people do lie or misrepresent themselves, but it's been very successful overall and certainly there is now way a scammer would get through all of that.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for the input. I really appreciate it.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Check out the application for becoming a foster at Mal rescue.

ABMC Malinois Rescue Foster Application
Old 11-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Wow, that is extensive! I will need to develop a written questionaire. Up to this point, I have just asked questions over the phone. The thing that is happening is I am getting emails with inquiries about pups and then all of the sudden, two or three emails into it, I'm getting these requests for my "banking information so I can deposit the payment", and the like. As if I am going to give my banking info to some person on the internet! Not born on a turnip truck! But, sometimes they seem legitimate at first and it has me nervous. WHat I have done today is ask these folks to call me to discuss. We will see if any of the suspicious ones will actually call.....I kind of doubt it. Wondering if anybody else has had this experience.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

LOL not born on a turnip truck!!! I like that and glad to hear it!

What you might want to do (if you haven't already) is set up an email account ONLY for the website and don't have your name in it. And set up a paypal account ONLY for the website, and get insurance through paypal just in case - you're dealing with more than $20 or $30 ... you need to protect yourself!

My family emails money to each other all the time (send money via online banking) ... and my sister (a lawyer) has two email accounts - one for work related, and one for family stuff. Does this make sense?
Old 12-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Kyliegh,
THanks for your response....I have been so busy with puppy sales and the holidays that I hadn't gotten on the forum in a few weeks.
I appreciate the advice and am following it.

I sold the last pup last night. Some went to out of state folks but they all drove in to pick them up so I didn't have to do any shipping which was great!

I am revising everything on my next litter! lol. Learning as I go.

Thanks for all the input everyone!
Old 12-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

just quickly looked at the website and you are missing pedigrees and health clearance information on your breeding dogs... That information is a must IMO
Old 12-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham GSDs View Post
The thing that is happening is I am getting emails with inquiries about pups and then all of the sudden, two or three emails into it, I'm getting these requests for my "banking information so I can deposit the payment", and the like. As if I am going to give my banking info to some person on the internet!

Wondering if anybody else has had this experience.
I checked out your website, through Google, and noticed that you have placed a lot of ads on free sites such as Kiji, eBay classifieds and Hoobly. The scam e-mails you're receiving are automatically generated in response to those ads you have up on those sites. The scammers have programs that do nothing but send out these e-mails.

I had a saddle for sale on Ebay and got tons of scam e-mails in response. You know, "Nice lady, please send me your account information so I can direct deposit the amount of item".

My advice would be to be more selective about how you advertise your puppies. Or be patient about swimming through the responses from the sites you used.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.