Inbred puppy questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Inbred puppy questions

Okay, so I finally reached the breeder who I am waiting on a replacement puppy from - see my other thread about that. She let me know that she has a litter currently that I could have a puppy from, but the breeding was an accidental mother/son breeding. The son is a littermate to my dog who is being replaced due to hip dysplasia. So exact same genetics as what she has and then some since they are so closely related. I could have a puppy from that litter, they are still quite young or I can wait until next spring for her next litter. This puppy is to be a potentially breedable bitch so I think if I am able to breed her, the pedigree would scare away a ton of buyers since she would be from a mother/son breeding. My Keeshond is from a half sibling breeding and is dumb as a box of rocks, means well though and is very sweet - but not the brightest bulb. Plus that close tends to bring out the very worst or the very best - hard to say, but she did say that this has been the healthiest litter with zero issues so far. Same dam that lost several puppies in the litter I had wanted one from this past spring.

If I waited till spring I have some other issues I hadn't thought of before - I plan to breed a litter in late January/early February so the puppies would be growing up around the same time I would get my replacement puppy which doesn't make for the most fabulous of timing. I guess I could make it work, but I would rather not bring in a new puppy when I have a litter here - I worry about disease transmission. Or maybe I'm just being paranoid about that.

What is my best option here? Take one of the puppies now and risk losing possible puppy buyers down the road because of the pedigree on her side or wait till spring and bring a puppy in when I might have my own litter on the ground? If I do the second option I may see if I can talk my mother in law into taking the puppy until I have the litter placed into new homes to keep them separate.

www.SpiritedShepherds.com
IntCH Blackthorn's Onyx RN RA BN CGC TDI ~ Nyxie (LC GSD)
Int JuA Spirited Glory of Brick Chapel ~ Glory (Shiloh Shepherd)
Nat BA Spirited's Twilight Sparkle of Lobo ~ Tala (Aussie)
spiritsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No way in heck would I accept an inbred puppy from an oops breeding as a replacement for another pup that had a problem. What kind of breeder is this, anyway?
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 12:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
No way in heck would I accept an inbred puppy from an oops breeding as a replacement for another pup that had a problem. What kind of breeder is this, anyway?
I agree, I'd cut my losses and go with another breeder.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Your other thread, combined with this new info about the "accidental breeding", are big warning signs to me. I'd also try to find a new breeder and steer clear of this one altogether.
breyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 12:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

My goodness.....
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Wow, people never cease to amaze me. Pretty ballsy to try to do a replacement for a defect generally considered genetic with a pup who is doubled up on at least half the genes.
And then your plan (if you took the pup) would be to breed it?

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

From what I can gather, it seems like you are just starting out your kennel and getting into the breeding game. So if I were you, I would make sure to have the best representations of the breed that I can find to carry out my kennel's vision. I've noticed that strong kennels have solid foundation females and a clear cut vision from the get go. I would want a dog that I could stand behind and be proud to cement into my foundation lines.

Based on your descriptions, this doesn't sound like someone I would want a foundation female from. If I were you, I would cut my losses and find better options elsewhere. Why would you settle for a replacement out of an accidental breeding?
Old 08-17-2012, 12:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ideally I'd just like to get my money back, but that's not happening. So I have to get a replacement puppy and those two litters are my options at the moment. I don't feel comfortable with a puppy from a mother/son breeding personally, but I have seen pedigrees like that before so maybe that kind of breeding isn't all bad - but my dog has HD and it would be the exact same genes. So I think the risk of HD again is pretty darn high. My options are kind of limited unless I just walked away.

www.SpiritedShepherds.com
IntCH Blackthorn's Onyx RN RA BN CGC TDI ~ Nyxie (LC GSD)
Int JuA Spirited Glory of Brick Chapel ~ Glory (Shiloh Shepherd)
Nat BA Spirited's Twilight Sparkle of Lobo ~ Tala (Aussie)
spiritsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritsmom View Post
My options are kind of limited unless I just walked away.
That's the option I'd take for sure.

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955

Strictly speaking as a consumer, there's no way I would want a puppy with a pedigree like this puppy will have. I agree with Jane...cut your losses and find a different breeder.
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
paulag1955 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.