Replacement puppy question - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

@ The OP.
This is a hard situation to take a "side" on......
IMO...If your agreement with the breeder is for a replacement puppy....then you should be given a replacement puppy...period.
IF your breeder "chose" your original puppy (because of their breeding practises)...then your breeder has the right to "choose"" your replacement puppy also.
IF your breeder (honestly) believed, that the litter that was available, birthed "no suitable" puppy.....then you would be best to rely on his/her judgement.
IF your breeder made a decision to "halt" a specific breeding....*as bad, as it may seem or sound*...that is their prerogative.
Having a litter is a HUGE decision & commitment to make (at least it should be)...your breeder may not feel that the timing would benefit the litter being born. *Respect that*.
Please...speak to your breeder. Explain your thoughts......let her/him explain their reasoning.

I have a *very special person* at this moment, waiting for a replacement puppy.
I know what she wants, and she knows what she wants.....as soon as *that* litter/puppy is born...it is hers, and YES...there is a waiting period right now.
BUT...she also knows..every litter that I am planning...I would never not give her an option.

Again...JMO
robinhuerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955

Debbie, I think you've summed it up quite nicely.
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
paulag1955 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhuerta View Post
IF your breeder "chose" your original puppy (because of their breeding practises)...then your breeder has the right to "choose"" your replacement puppy also.
IF your breeder (honestly) believed, that the litter that was available, birthed "no suitable" puppy.....then you would be best to rely on his/her judgement.
I would tend to agree with this. If the breeder knows what you are looking for, and the Spring litter did not produce a pup that was appropriate for your needs, I'd trust her judgement.

I think that, according to your contract, you will have to wait another year for a pup. If you don't want to wait that long, you could *try* asking the breeder if a refund would be an option at this point. But since the contract states "replacement only", the breeder is under no obligation to give you your money back.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

I agree with everything said above but what happens if this breeder decides in the spring and next fall not to breed again or no suitable puppy comes from those possible litters as well? Should the OP have to wait years upon years if the breeder pushes back each time? OP I would call the breeder and question them. You have a right as you signed a contract, ask about a refund until she is ready to breed again. The worst she can tell you is no you have to wait however long. Good luck.
Diesel-GSD
Old 08-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Would it be possible to just buy another puppy and then sell the replacement puppy when you get it?

Michelle
Kejasa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

i had a deposit on a pup that was non-refundable. things didn't
work out. i waited a year for a pup. i asked the breeder for a refund
and she gave it to me without any hassles. you have nothing to lose
by asking for a refund.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kejasa View Post
Would it be possible to just buy another puppy and then sell the replacement puppy when you get it?
Possible, but unethical.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think I will ask her for a refund. I picked the original puppy myself based on two candid photos and a short description when she was 6 weeks old. She is the type who lets people pick but you have to pick at age 6 weeks and you have about a day to make your pick so the other people in line behind you can pick theirs. She does keep them till 8 weeks, you just have to pick at 6 weeks.

I really don't know why she didn't just let me have one of the 3 females from the last litter especially when the last female didn't sell till after they were 6 weeks old anyway.

Of course, the female that she kept is lovely now that I've seen newer pics of her on the site and she was probably the one I would have picked myself.

She pushed me to the fall litter when the spring litter was a few days old so I don't know how she could have known at that time that none of them would be right for me. I can't even tell at 6 weeks old whether I'm picking the right puppy or not.

I'll just have to see what she says, just bummed because I was really looking forwards to this puppy coming this fall.

www.SpiritedShepherds.com
IntCH Blackthorn's Onyx RN RA BN CGC TDI ~ Nyxie (LC GSD)
Int JuA Spirited Glory of Brick Chapel ~ Glory (Shiloh Shepherd)
Nat BA Spirited's Twilight Sparkle of Lobo ~ Tala (Aussie)
spiritsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Possible, but unethical.
Yes, I agree. On the other hand, I don't feel like it's strictly ethical for the breeder to sit on the OP's deposit for over a year while failing to maintain good communications on the status of her planned litters, even though she's in compliance with the letter of the contract.

It just seems like the ethical thing for the breeder to have done is contact the OP, explain the situation, and offer her the choice of a refund or waiting for next year's litter.
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
paulag1955 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 01:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritsmom View Post
I really don't know why she didn't just let me have one of the 3 females from the last litter especially when the last female didn't sell till after they were 6 weeks old anyway.
I would guess that she wanted the cash from selling the puppies to pay some bills (probably ones incurred by the dogs, if it's like it is for almost any other dog owner!).

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.