Blood lines and dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Blood lines and dogs

I have Haus of Rocks Akeemi Dvora who is Czech and Ando Ethen who is German for the most part. They are our pets and we don't want to add more unwanted dogs to the system. All of our other dogs are strays, we live in the country and have no SPCA so folk just drop the pets they don't want on the highway. Its really is sick but it's how it is. Anyway, all our pets are fixed but these two. We want only one litter from Akeemi than get her spayed but want to do this as late in her life as we can. Ando is sweet and always willing to please, Akeemi is sweet but a normal Czech so she is hard for me to train. We only want one litter, is this a good match by bloodline? If we don't use Ando to breed with Akeemi we will have him fixed to ensure no unwanted pups or fear of a mating we don't want. We also want to know what age is the oldest for Akeemi to have her first and only litter. We have had many pets but they were always fixed so this is new to us. Thanks
argo daisynina dvora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Don't breed your dog unless it has titles to prove it's worth and extensive health testing.

Thank you.

EDIT: Also, your female is gorgeous. Any recent pictures of her? I bet she's very pretty!

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com

Last edited by Wild Wolf; 06-06-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 01:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argo daisynina dvora View Post
They are our pets and we don't want to add more unwanted dogs to the system.
Then don't breed unless your dogs have the necessary working titles, certifications and ratings. It's very unlikely that you happen to have a male and female that truly complement each other in terms of genetics.

Before you breed.....please consider all the ramifications - Save Our Shepherds - German Shepherd Rescue
"Should I breed my dog?" Flowchart

I really like this quote from SOS:
Save Our Shepherds is not against breeding dogs. We just feel that breeding should be left to those that are doing it right...not by commercial puppy mills, and not by well-intentioned people who just love their dog. Breeding should only be undertaken with health certified, titled dogs of stable temperament and stellar pedigrees and with the final goal being improvement of the breed.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Well, Akeemi has been in training for the last 5 weeks. They might keep her up to 8 weeks but than she should be at the point for obedience title. Ando is much easier to train so I am working with him daily. This really is all being done to make them good family pets and now that the kids are gone its my thing. X-rays were done on Ando on export from the Czech Republic and Akeemi will have them done. Akeemi has only the best line so I don't think it will be a issue, this is why I paid what I paid for the dogs. My husband LOVES Akeemi and wants one pup from her to keep her alive always. The mix is what I'm not sure of, will Akeemi have pups with Ando that are too watered down? Her drive is what is so fine, I want to keep that in the pup we keep when she is older.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

If you have to ask questions like this you shouldn't be breeding

JMHO
"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
4TheDawgies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 02:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I wish you the best of luck with training. I think you are going about it in the right way if you are pursuing titles, getting hips/elbows done and making sure your female is of age when she is bred. I would consider outside studs though, if you are unsure of your male. Do you have a trainer or breeder that can mentor or help you make a decision on the stud when the time comes?
Old 06-06-2012, 02:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

No, I don't. We love Akeemi so much and would love to have her forever. We decided to pay for a pro to do her training and not take a chance and mess her up. We were told to breed her down, Czech lines are harder to work with if your not experienced. We got Ando not necessary to breed but due to the fact he is so easy to train and a great dog. Todd, my husband thinks Akeemi needs to be with a Czech, I want to not only have a pup good in sport and police work but a great, smart family pet. I think Ando would blend her down, but we are looking at this in 5 or so years down the road.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Keep training and learning. If you can, try to find a good mentor to help you through this process. It can make a world of a difference to have a good guide on your side. Glad to see this is way out in the future and you have lots of time to get to that point.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

I think Ando is a great dog but want to have him fixed soon if it is better to have a Czech stud for Akeemi. He will live longer and reduce risk of cancer.
What is the oldest for a femail to have her first litter?
Old 06-06-2012, 03:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

A female can potentially have a litter on her first heat. But please wait till she is at least 2, has hips/elbows done and has some working titles. It's not advisable to breed a young female below 2 years.
Oldest really depends...
My mentor tends to retire breeding females around 7 or 8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.