Stud dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
onyx'girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SW, MI
Posts: 24,212
Default Stud dogs

I don't expect many answers to this, yet hope others(non-breeders) will chime in with thoughts for discussion.

I know very few people have stud dogs(with no kennel name, just own the stud) compared to the breeders with bitches.

For those of you that do have exceptional males, are you choosy which females you allow your males to be bred to?

Do you also look at the pedigree match to make sure your male will be represented properly?

For those that look at stud dogs, if they've never been used before yet all the sudden become the flavor of the month, does that make you want to get in on his popularity?


I know of a really nice male that is serious/impressive and really should be used with care/yet people see him in training and want to use him because of his powerful presence.
I hope his owner will choose wisely on who he is used with.
Even though stud owners don't carry the responsibility as a breeder does with what is produced, I would think there should be some accountability?
__________________
Jane~
Kept by Onyx, Kacie and Karlo
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
GsdLoverr729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,516
Default

I obviously don't have a stud (Koda's a girl xD), but I have seen plenty of studs advertised online while doing research on the breed. Some are very choosy and require to see vet papers, OFA certification, temperament, titles/show wins, and all of that. And even with all that, they can still be difficult. But then there are others who aren't. I saw an AKC male with a couple of SchH titles who was for stud for $100, no requirements on the female. He was very handsome, but I couldn't help but shake my head.
__________________
Kymmey
Mom To~ Dakoda (b/t GSD), Acheron (black GSD)
GsdLoverr729 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member
 
VonKromeHaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: kennewick,WA
Posts: 630
Send a message via Yahoo to VonKromeHaus
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I don't expect many answers to this, yet hope others(non-breeders) will chime in with thoughts for discussion.

I know very few people have stud dogs(with no kennel name, just own the stud) compared to the breeders with bitches.

For those of you that do have exceptional males, are you choosy which females you allow your males to be bred to?
I am very choosy which females I let my dog be used on. I only want him to be bred to a bitch that I would keep something from. Also, something whose pedigree I like and feel would cross well with my boy's lines.

Quote:
Do you also look at the pedigree match to make sure your male will be represented properly?
Absolutely!

Quote:
For those that look at stud dogs, if they've never been used before yet all the sudden become the flavor of the month, does that make you want to get in on his popularity?
I would shy away from the dog whether it was an extremely nice dog or not. I like to have a bit of openness within a breed and using one stud a ton, really makes it difficult later when you are trying to find something without that one dog in the pedigree.


Quote:
I know of a really nice male that is serious/impressive and really should be used with care/yet people see him in training and want to use him because of his powerful presence.
I hope his owner will choose wisely on who he is used with.
Even though stud owners don't carry the responsibility as a breeder does with what is produced, I would think there should be some accountability?
There should be accountability on the stud owner. I personally will only work with a bitches owner who will let me have a say in the way the puppies are placed as well as following my stud contract regarding certain issues etc. If they don't allow me this, then I don't work with them and they can find a different dog to be used!
__________________
Tululajhs Red Chrome Kahpone~AST/APBT~CGC TT BH~RIP
Osyrius SilverChrome GTOVonMarionHaus~GSD~CGC DDJ RN
WBBs BleauChromeLady of TheCopa~APBT~STARR CGC
VonKromeHaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:22 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com