Owner didn't pick up their puppy? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

Hopefully you got an address for the potential owners.

Send a certified/receipt requested outlining the attempts you have made to contact them along with the deadline for picking up the puppy.

You'll receive the receipt back hopefully showing it was delivered or if not, you'll receive the letter back along with explanation from the Post Office.

Either way, you are covered in showing you have made every attempt to contact them.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How well did you screen your new puppy owners? I just don't get that a breeder works this way when placing their puppies....letting them choose and no paperwork/with only $100 down? I hope they surface soon and will provide a great forever home. Do you have a contract when the pup leaves your kennel(first rights)?
Old 04-14-2012, 12:19 AM   #13 (permalink)

No I didn't get their address.I never gave my address when putting a deposit on a puppy. I thought I had ask all the right question. I try to think the best of people. But it doesn't take much to lie either.
All the other new owner would come a visit the puppy at lest twice. These people didn't but they did live 4hours away.
If someone wanted two puppy at the same time. I would only sell them one. I would tell them two puppies is a lot more work and had a higher chance of being giving up. I also said having to dogs the same age could cost a lot due to being both senor at the same time. If someone ask for a deal. I would not sell them a puppy. In my opinion if you could not afford the puppy how will you afford the care they will and may need.
I would go though **** and high water to pick on my puppy too, And have. My husband had open heart surgery and a week later we went to pick up our puppy that we had put a deposit on.
I thought a $100 deposit was fair for everyone. I guess I was wrong.

I will put some photo's up. I just have to learn how.
ilovemydogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner View Post
I know anytime I've been waiting to get a new puppy, nothing short of my own death would have stopped me from getting that puppy on time, or at the very least, contacting the breeder to let them know there was a problem and let them know when I would be picking up the puppy.

As far as I'm concerned, once I pick out a puppy, that puppy is mine and I'm responsible for it. Even if there were a death in the family, I would contact the breeder and have them hold the puppy for me or I would make other arrangements. Getting a new puppy is one of the more joyous occasions of my life.

Maybe that's just me though.
Count me in on this. It is so exciting to get the new pup, I can't imagine being a no-show. I'd have to be dead or unconscious or something awful to not be chomping at the bit to pick up my new pup!
chelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Anything could have happened.....anyone can only speculate at best.
Hold onto the puppy at least for another week (I would)....and continue daily to try to reach them. Screen *new home prospects* in the meantime...BUT EXPLAIN 100% to them, what exactly the circumstances are surrounding the puppy.

Health, death, finances....ANYTHING could be the reason for loss of communication regarding the original prospects....allow them the opportunity & extra time to regain contact with you. If they do not....at least you have done all that you could do, in good conscience....and still give the puppy a solid chance to find a new, loving home & family.

Just my opinion and simple advice.....
Best wishes.
robinhuerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

One thing you might try... check face book! I am sure you have their name and the town they live in. If you have a husband and wives name it could be a little easier to find them. Facebook is the tool of the CIA! Use it!
Narny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 12:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

I got Ianna after the guy who put a deposit on her never came to pick her up. Their loss, and definitely my gain!! She's been an awesome dog.

Turned out, the guy put a deposit on the pup without checking with his wife....when she found out, she said "You are NOT getting another dog!" He didn't bother letting the breeder know, and didn't return her calls. Like I said, his loss, my gain!
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
DunRingill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #18 (permalink)

Sell the pup to someone else - If you ever hear from the people again, decide at that time if you want to return the deposit. Know that its very easy to argue that you are the damaged party due to their default, and the fact that they gave you a deposit in the first place is evidence of your verbal contract.
Whatever happens dont worry about it even for a second, you are in the right.
PatternDayTrader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to KRMBKShepherds

My personal opinion, they knew when the pup would be ready They had every opportunity to call you and let you know something, surely someone would let them borrow a phone to call you. I would hold on to the pup another week and just see if they call, but I would not hold him/her any longer than that, because it is not fair to the pup to not be in his forever home and he/she is just going to get more and more attached to you and needs to be bonding with his/her new family. Always use a deposit agreement, and always state in the contract that the deposit is non-refundable, unless something should happen to the puppy (unexpected death,illness, ETC.) and if anything should happen to the pup that the deposit is transferable to another pup from the same litter or out of your next litter when available. The non-refundable deposit is for your trouble of taking the pup from being available and marking it as sold and the pup missing out on a potential forever home. Always be sure to screen very well, use your better judgement, if something seems fishy or strange, don't go for it or make any kind of deal/sale with them. You have to be very wary these days. If you refuse a sale to someone, there is nothing they can do about it and you can have your own personal reasons for doing it. It is for the best interest of the puppy.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

This is an old thread.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.