Inexperienced or low libido? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Inexperienced or low libido?

I have a new male - 15 month old WGWL - who came in a few weeks ago. He's settled in nicely and I'm pleased with him overall. My goal is to accustom him to being hand collected and comfortable with human interaction while breeding. Reason being, last male was a very dominant dog and would never allow hand collection or help. Lesson learned, start them young!

As it happens, I have a bitch in heat and want to use this time to work with the male on collecting him. The issue is that he shows only mild interest.

I will be honest - I've worked with a handful of stud dogs over the past 15 years and two of them were inexperienced. However, they were the opposite and overly eager to the point of irritating. This guy is nothing like that, so I'm sort of at a loss.

Sorry to be graphic - but I can get an erection and he will thrust a few times, then he shuts down. The other males I have collected were easy as pie. This guy is stumping me. I have tried 3 times now to collect him and this is what happens every time.

Admittedly he is young, but shouldn't this be a tad easier, especially with a bitch in heat in his face? I'm just confused as to why I can't get him to ejaculate.

I guess I am overly worried because I would have to sell him if he has a low libido. I will not use him for a stud if this is the case and would want to place him as a PP dog or not-for-breeding. He was bought specifically for training, titling, and breeding. A low libido would be very disappointing. However, I sort of hope he is just inexperienced, but thought I would get outside opinions.
Ramage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Maybe he knows she is not yet ready to breed and doesn't see what the excitement is all about?
Home of Ch Doll; U-CDx Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP OA AXJ(ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Natty; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andaka View Post
Maybe he knows she is not yet ready to breed and doesn't see what the excitement is all about?
Could be. I'm just assuming this isn't the case only because of inexperience. Maybe he's smarter than I'm giving him credit for.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

The boy dogs are much more interested, physiologically at least, when the female is actually in standing heat.

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

I was actually able to collect him yesterday! I was very pleased, but yes, he did need a female in standing heat before he showed any interest.

I suppose, for future use, I will need to freeze some swabs from one of the girls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.