Breeding dogs with Pano - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Breeding dogs with Pano

How do all the breeders here feel about that? What if the dog turns out to be a great working stock, but went though a bout of pano. Just curious, all the articles i read on it say not to breed the dog. I figure this rule has to be broken or too many good dogs would be missed out on. The breeder i got my dog from has bred dogs that have had pano. Thanks.
dreamofwrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: Breeding dogs with Pano

please list the articles that you read that said don't breed a dog if it experienced pano.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I'd also like to see those articles.

Pano is merely a stage some young dogs go through. It has no long term consequences.

The idea of not breeding a dog because it had pano as a youngster is ludicrious to me. With all the health and temperament issues prevalent in this breed, and many others, there are far more important things to focus on and use for breeding criteria than adolescent growing pains.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

of course now that i post this the only one i can find mentions "screening" for carriers...which i am confused how they would do that if the consensus is confusion on whether it is genetic or not?

http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+1561&aid=466

I know i have read an internet article saying dogs with pano should not be used for breeding though, as it "may" be genetic. I didnt note the article sources or author of course. Ill try and find it.
dreamofwrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Chris Wild
The idea of not breeding a dog because it had pano as a youngster is ludicrious to me.
Well said!

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
BlackGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Pano is not genetic in the way we think of genetic health issues. There is no "pano gene" that determines if a dog will get pano or not. Pano doesn't work that way. Also, since it's self limiting, has no long term affects, and goes away on it's own in time, I wouldn't even consider it a health issue. More of a temporary annoyance.

Pano is something that can occur in any mammal when they go through huge growth spurts during adolescents. It is in fact very common in human teenagers, particularly boys. It is not limited to dogs or to GSDs.

Growth rates can be genetic, in the sense that they often run in families. Some families tend to grow faster, others slower, some in spurts, others in more gradual rates. It's the fast, spurty growers who are most likely to experience pano. So yes, it can run in families because family members tend to have similar sets of genes governing how quickly they grow during adolescents. But it doesn't run in families because there's some common "pano gene".

Genes can affect growth rate, so I guess in that sense one could say pano is genetic in a very round-about way. But that would be very misleading as when something is considered genetic that means there is a gene that directly causes it and that is not the case here. The only relationship between genes and pano would be how the genes affect the growth rate, which in turn can lead to pano. And of course there are many non-genetic factors, such as diet, that also affect growth rate and can make a pup more or less likely to get pano.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Chris WildPano is something that can occur in any mammal when they go through huge growth spurts during adolescents. It is in fact very common in human teenagers, particularly boys. .
One of my sisters had it. She was a small baby, but grew scarily fast and spent a lot of time sore from "growing pains".

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
BlackGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Question for the breeders - I never bothered to tell Otto's breeder that he has it becuase it's not genetic. Should I?

At 9 months old, it's like fair warning has just been issued - incoming growth spurt. ( don't get too big, pupper )

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I had those darn "growing pains" a lot when I was a kid. It sucks! I think it was due to me being a bottomless pit when it came to food.

Training @ The Canine Center - St Cloud, FL
"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
DianaM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

i have pains now. it must be growing old pains. the pain, the pain never stops. well it does stop but that's no fun either

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DianaMI had those darn "growing pains" a lot when I was a kid. It sucks! I think it was due to me being a bottomless pit when it came to food.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.