This is a fun video - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2008, 08:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Default Re: This is a fun video

If I remember right Ghostwolf was asking at what point in the training is the dog switched from playing in prey to actually being pressured for defense.

I'm not sure if I can answer that question - I'm still learning what Schutzhund is about, still learning what the helper does to train and develop a dog, and still learning about reading my dog when under stress. What I know is that it was an EXTREMELY gradual process, with just tiny bits of more pressure and threat brought forward, with the helper acting (overacting LOL) being scared and intimidated in order to build confidence.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 09:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Default Re: This is a fun video

Quote:
Originally Posted By: CastlemaidIf I remember right Ghostwolf was asking at what point in the training is the dog switched from playing in prey to actually being pressured for defense.
The simple answer: when the dog is ready for it.

There is no magic age, as it depends on the dog's temperament, nerve, and his development through other the other stages of learning in protection work.

Some dogs are ready for some defensive pressure relatively young, others not until full maturity. Likewise, some can only handle a little bit and never more than that, others can handle quite a lot, and some can never handle much at all, regardless of age. Each dog also has a different idea of what constitutes "defensive pressure". For one dog, it may be the helper just acting a bit suspicious or making eye contact, for others it might take a full frontal attack for the dog to feel pressured. It's completely up to the individual dog, and that's why having a good helper who can read the dog well, put on pressure when called for and, most importantly, relieve that pressure in the right manner when the dog responds properly, is so important.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.