Number of protection dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 04:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Number of protection dogs

....maybe it's b/c we're talking GSDs, but i'm fascinated by the number of people who have PPD or guard dogs.

....can i be all nosy? where do you generally live? what is your motivation for having one?

(i know when i got luc a friend said 'i've noticed women get large dogs, to protect them' and i was SOOOO insulted. i got a large dog b/c he could keep up w/me physically. also b/c he's a smart dog and i respect that. nothing wrong if you do have/want a PPD/guard dog, i'm just curious )

percentage wise - most GSDs would be pets - but how many people got them w/a thought to this ability?
Cats Mitch RIP; Lear; Esme (refugee)
Nikolai & Eco the bunny couple extraordinaire
jarn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007, 04:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Number of protection dogs

This is one reason I bought Hardy. Yes we have guns, but they're always locked up since we have a son still at home. I live out in the boonies and my DH works night. I want a deterrent that will give me time to get the safe open. Yes I have other gsd's, but Hardy had the attitude I was looking for.
angelaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

We got a German Shepherd dog because they give the allusion that I will be safer.
I was robbed at gun point when I was in high school and that was in a nice neighborhood. Dh is in the Army and goes away for extended periods of time and quite often. I have a loaded 9 mil in the dresser and just finished taking an NRA Basic Gun Pistol course with it for extra confidence. I currently live in a very nice neighborhood but I am a young female and I'm paranoid. When we finally decided that our lives were stable enoug, finally bought our first home and have a yard for him to play in, we figured if we're going to get a dog, we might as well get one that will make us feel safer and will help protect our home.

He's been barking away salesmen and Jehova's Witnesses ever since
SeriousConfusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 06:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Not me, if anyone bothers my dogs, they'll need protection from ME, not the other way around.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

I didn't get a GSD because I wanted protection I just loved the breed and my 4 -H leader happened to be involved in Schutzhund. I went to a couple of training sessions with her and was hooked.
Although fast forward several years and after my male passed away and my husband went on night shift I realized how much comfort I got having him around.

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.
Marshmallows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 07:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Fact is that living out in the boonies alone without a dog, makes you more vulnerable. The idiots want an easy target, they will go down the road where there is no dog.

Yes, part of what attracts me to the breed is the understanding that they have a certain amount of guarding behavior. It makes it harder, because you have to work more on socialization and all that. They are not fluff balls that love everyone.

Part of me really likes that.

I sleep easy at night knowing my dogs will let me know long before any intruder gets near my doors or windows.

So I guess that it is one of the reasons I chose the breed. I chose this breed because of their loyalty and intelligence, but I always wanted big dogs. That is just me.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 09:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via MSN to BucksMom Send a message via Yahoo to BucksMom

I'm home alone alot also. We live in a safe place but there are lots of campers and out of towners around and you just never know.
I feel very safe with my two boys.

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog. SL"
BucksMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 09:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

My dog is NOT a protection dog and has NO formal training in protection or SchH (I don't really consider SchH actual protection work anyway), however, I am aware that she offers a certain level of visual deterrence. My DH is more pleased with this. He says he feels better about me going for long walks at dusk now that she is with me. She is not guardy or possessive at all and she doesn't even bark; anyone can walk in our house and she will probably hide. However she is very alert, very discerning, and I have no doubt that she would not hesitate to step in if someone were actually hurting ME (but I think this is true with most dogs in general). I didn't choose the breed for the protective aspect, it's just a nice perk!
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 09:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

jarn, do you mean a dog that might protect you if things get bad, or are you talking real bona-fide, professionally trained protection dogs, or sport dogs?

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 10:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

both, i guess.

the bona fide mostly, b/c i've noticed on different forums people talking about training bona fide PPDs and i'm always curious why they would need them, to be honest, but figured it was rude to ask....

....but i was also curious how many people chose GSDs for their protective qualities but don't have PPDs or an otherwise trained guard dog.
Cats Mitch RIP; Lear; Esme (refugee)
Nikolai & Eco the bunny couple extraordinaire
jarn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.